Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ratties A new rat!

Chloë-Jasmine

Cavy Slave
About 3 years ago I had two rats, (not with us anymore) named Tumbleweed and Boo... And today my boyfriend came home with my Christmas present and said, 'I'll give you a hint, what do you say to someone when you want to frighten them...' I said 'Boo!.... OMG YOU GOT ME A RAT!' His name is Puck after a Final Fantasy 9 character who is part rat. He is sooo cute... I want to post pics but I lent my USB cable out. He's about the same size as a full grown mouse, maybe bigger. And he loves to lick me.... it's worse then a dog, he licks me clean. He's a hooded rat, with a grey hood, and right next to his right eye on the inside, he has a stripe going down to his nose. I think my pigs know something is up though... they get all quiet when I take him out. I think for his cage I'm going to put two old store bought cages together and make one fleece and the other one pooping/food area. Right now he's in a temporary store bought cage, the size of a regular hamster cage. So tommorow I'm starting on my project. Just thought I'd annouce this to the cavy community. :goodvibes

kimberly78

Cavy Slave
Congrats on the new baby!!!!!! Any pics yet? Any plans for a buddy?

2pigs4rats

Cavy Slave
Yay, I love to hear there are fellow ratters in the piggy world! ditto what kimberley said about a buddy though - rats, like pigs, are very sociable.

kimberly78

Cavy Slave
One day I will have a pair of ratties....SIGH! I love the fuzzies but with all the birds I have it just isnt safe :( atleast I get to enjoy them though everyone here!

Chloë-Jasmine

Cavy Slave
Yes, I would love to get a buddy, my boyfriend almost talked me into it today but I need to get/make a bigger cage. I think I'm going to make a C&C because I have these grids I got from dollarama that are really really small, so even as a baby he won't get out.

Chloë-Jasmine

Cavy Slave
Okay I got a buddy today! I named him Oob... Because that's Boo backwards and I miss my Baby Boo soooo much. It's also a character from Dragonball Z.. but on the show they spell it Uub. Anyways, they love each other so much I'm glad to have 2 rats again. I bought them a mini pigloo, and some bird type toys. I figure because they're cheaper to feed, I can buy pricier toys for them then the pigs. I usually buy pigloos and Dollarstore toys for them. Anywho, I hope to get pictures up soon soon soon!

minnie

Cavy Slave
Hi

Congratulations on your rats!

I have 3 males (Frankie, Sammy & Oreo), they make great pets & they crave attention & they are so smart too!

Minnie

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
Do you have the pictures yet?

Chloë-Jasmine

Cavy Slave
No! Grrr... I have a camera but no USB cable. Does anyone know any good rat sites? Oob is fine but Puck makes these funny noises... almost like a guinea pig chirping and he sneezes constantly.

SkinnyPiggys

Cavy Slave
Here are some rat sites:

www.rmca.org
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

I think your rat needs to see a vet soon. Good luck.

minnie

Cavy Slave
Hi

A few more good sites are:

(broken link removed)
they are a rescue who I adopted 2 of my rats from & they know a lot about rats, they also have information on their site about rat ailments

also (broken link removed) is a good site

Minnie

Another good site for rat owners is
Chloë-Jasmine said:
No! Grrr... I have a camera but no USB cable. Does anyone know any good rat sites? Oob is fine but Puck makes these funny noises... almost like a guinea pig chirping and he sneezes constantly.

Chloë-Jasmine

Cavy Slave
Your last one didn't work :p. Thank you for all the great sites guys! I have read that sneezing is frequent in rats when they are introduced to a new home but it might be too late if I leave it at that assumption.

2pigs4rats

Cavy Slave
My rattie Archie sneezed constantly when I first got him, as he was smelling all the new smells. However the chirping may suggest that it is something more than that, a slight uri possibly, get him to the vet as soon as poss, he will probably put him on antibiotics and since you caught it early he will be fine in no time!
Congrats on your new ratties - glad puck has a buddy!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.