Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New Vac

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I finally got a vac for the piggie cage. I have wanted a shop vac for the longest time, but while looking at them today, the small 1 gallon ones you get a few attachments, but the larger 5 gallon ones, you don't get much in the way of attachments. So I ended up going and looking at the small hand vacs. I didn't see any I thought would do really good.

I was looking in the Christmas Clearance section and seen this one:
https://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4012125&dept=4044&path=0:4044:4047:164241
So thought I would give it a try. I used it so far on the living room floor and it worked pretty well. It has the crevice tool and a brush tool too and for $20 it's not really bad. It did pick up some stray hay that was on the living room floor.

I am about to test it out on the piggies' cage. I will let you know how well it does!

mab0615

Cavy Slave
Yes, please let us know how it works. I bed on fleece and it's a pain in the butt to sweep the poops out daily. It would be so nice to just vacuum them up.

I tried a small hand vac once but it didn't really work. My 5 HP 12 gal shop vac is just to powerful for fleece.

JennG

Cavy Slave
Very nice! I like my $20 Walmart vacuum, too. It's only used for the girls' cage and sucks up the poo and some of the littler hay. It also doesn't suck up the fleece as bad. I hope it works out for ya.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Do you have one like mine Jenn? Or is it different?

It works pretty good for sucking up poo's but it does try to suck the fleece too. I have to hold the fleece down while vacuuming. The crevice tool worked pretty well too. It works ok for small stray pieces of hay but not for large pieces or large amounts of hay. It clogged with hay on me twice and I had to unclog it. It worked well for getting up the Feline Pine but the holding area isn't huge and I had to dump it 5 times while cleaning the litter pan. It was still a lot better than scooping all that pine out with a small broom/dustpan.

I did a whole cage cleaning, so the easiest thing for me was to pick up the fleece/mattress pads and shake everything onto the coroplast then vacuum up the poos. I will do spot cleaning tonight with the new vac.

bbqbarbiedolls

Cavy Slave
Nice... I think I saw this one in the store and it comes in hot pink too... one of my favourite colours!!

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
HOw did it do for spot cleaning, Ly? My shop-vac broke fairly quick and got clogged alot. I'm looking for a replacement. I haven't been really succescful.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
It does pretty well for spot cleaning as long as you stay away from large pieces of hay.

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
I got one at Walmart the other day, I think it's a Hoover wet and dry? I don't know it's power but it only has a small opening that it sucks through so it actually doesn't pick up the fleece, though perhaps mine is somehow magically tucked down? Anyway, to my surprise it also picks up hair, which is super :). Much easier than a crappy dollar dust pan, and i can see myself using it around the house too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.