Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Red Lights???

GuineaGuy51090
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs can distinguish colours, unlike many other animals. Some research has shown that red, in nature, means "danger". However, it could just be that they prefer lower light levels!

TheQueen

Cavy Slave
Well, I have purple rope lights around my cage, and the girls seem to love them! Whenever I turn them on at night they wheek and start to popcorn! It's so cute, I'm glad they like them so much!

SpoiledlilPigs

Cavy Slave
I have a butt load and I mean a butt load of blue rope lights. I was goin to ask if they were ok to use befor I lay the coroplast in there newly built cage (gotta go buy some coroplast tomarrow so I can start im excited :)).

Anyways, is blue ok to use? Since this is the same subject.

SleepyBirdy
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

iLoveDusty

Cavy Slave
I have a green light in my room, and my piggies really take no notice of it. I got a new lamp today with all different colored lights in cluding red, so I'll see what they think about that! (Merry Christmas!)

aqh88

Cavy Slave
People and probably most mammals see light in the green and yellow spectrum best. This light looks bright to us and like it's daytime. Red and blue light is harder to determine and therefore looks dimmer making it seem more like nighttime. It also could just be everyone is going to bed, the house is quiet, and the guinea pigs feel like it's time to play regardless of the light but they do tend to feel safer when it's darker.

homeschoolmama

Cavy Slave
Hmm, red = danger? My piggies must live dangerously. If I've got 2 colors of fleece in their cage & one of them is red, that's where all three will sit. No matter now small the red piece is!

Maybe they're like people, and different piggies prefer different colors?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.