Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay from the Barn?

Eolith

Cavy Slave
Alright, here's another question from the newbie: I have two horses boarded at a high-end barn and I ride regularly. Our equines are absolutely pampered and I know that their hay is always the best of the best, but is it suitable for guinea pigs? I can get just about as much hay as I want for free to dirt cheap. So this may be a stupid question, but is there any discrepancy between hay that's good for the horses and hay that's good for the guinea pigs?

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
If it's good grass hay, there shouldn't be any difference at all. Do you know what kind of hay it is? Timothy, bluegrass, orchard grass, etc?

Incidently, free to dirt cheap is my absolute favorite price! As long as the hay isn't alfalfa, I'd go for it! :)

Eolith

Cavy Slave
The horses get orchard grass and alfalfa. I can get some of either for the cavies, but I know that the alfalfa should really only be an occasional treat. Or for young/pregnant guinea pigs. I've done my research! ;)

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
The orchard grass will be perfect. Go for inexpensive hay however you can get it. Since they need it in unlimited amounts, I'd say it's much better to save your money for other things or emergencies.

Good job on the research!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Alfalfa is more for younger pigs under 6 months and nursing/pregnant cavies. You can feed it once in a great while to older pigs who don't have bladder sludge/stone issues. The orchard grass will be fine.

Eolith

Cavy Slave
That's what I said. To quote myself: '...but I know that the alfalfa should really only be an occasional treat. Or for young/pregnant guinea pigs...'

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
We are just confirming what you stated was correct. Nothing wrong with that.

Eolith

Cavy Slave
Hehe, I know. I wasn't trying to sound touchy or anything, I just didn't want to be considered a brainless idiot that doesn't know anything at all about guinea pigs. lol I know several things, but there are other things that I need/want someone else's opinions on, like the whole whether to get it from the barn or not thing.

Mummy

Cavy Slave
Yes, you can get it from the barn. I would look for softer hay so that you don't run the risk of eye pokes, but as long as it's good hay it really doesn't matter where it comes from.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.