Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Do Guinea Pigs have strokes?

Valerie711

Cavy Slave
I KNOW THIS IS NOT AN EMERGENCY FORUM, However I have no options...

Phoebe is a bit over 5 years old. She is a larger pig, and generally in decent health. (She has a tumor on her hind leg for something like more than a year now, but the vet gave us home care instructions because surgical correction was too risky)

Today, when giving Phoebe her favorite, banana peels, she did not stand to greet me. Phoebe seems to be unable to balance, with a tendency to fall to one side or the other and lay-out flat in an almost prone position. She does not show great interest in food, and has only nibbled 3-5 little bites of all things offered, in total. Her breathing is not labored, but rather finite such that is is nearly undetectable and I really have to check her over to make sure she has not expired. She moves only a little bit, about once every 5 minutes... sometimes she will wave her head about as if she needs a stretch. She feels cool, like she is not maintaining temperature well, so I have her set up in a shoe box with towels for warmth and comfort. Her back legs seem worse off, though if she were human I'd think she had a stroke because one side of her body has different muscle-reflex action now... I called a vets office, and the nurse said it sounds like old age death setting in, but she gave me the opinion it would be quick and I noted this over 3 hours ago. I placed honey on her lips in case her blood sugar is low.

I have no real options. We just moved here from 2000 miles away and we are broke from the move and my husband has the one and only car at work and he is new at his job so he cannot leave early. He will be home in 4 hours if I am lucky...

Any advice? I held her and cuddled her for 3 hours before placing her in the cuddle box with food right at her nose... now, my 2 year old needs me, too.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
My advice would be to get some emergency help at the forums at www.guinealynx.com.

She sounds like she is not doing too well. I would get her to a vet, if you can, asap.

Valerie711

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the guinea lynx idea... just posted there... like I said, it kills me, but I have no options... the only people I know in this city are out of town now and I am at least 6 miles from a vet and it's 30 degrees so even if I thought I could get her there on foot, the temp shock would only make it worse... she has dragged herself a bit and eaten 1.5 tablespoons banana since the original post... UGH! I feel so stuck and powerless.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Stop the bannana, which can make her constipated heavily. Try lettuce with some water on it, something easy on her stomach.

You need to start handfeeding a pellet mash now. Read https://guinealynx.com/handfeeding.html

If you have some vegitable baby food with no preservatives, just the food, mix that in as well.

Valerie711

Cavy Slave
She was pooping fine throughout.... I have cauliflower I could blend up... hmmm veggie drawer was due for a restock tonight of all nights, and pellets ran out 2 days ago and 2 pet stores had only rabbit pellets so we're tanked there... DARN timing stinks in life...

Valerie711

Cavy Slave
OK baby food, an apple and an orange are coming home with hubby... pig is moving toward box edge, so I'm going to add a warm water bottle wrap so she can warm up if she likes.... I found a store with pellets in stock...

SkinnyPiggys

Cavy Slave
I would also keep a heating pad set on low underneath one side of her cage (under the coroplast or fleece). Make sure to syringe feed her and keep her room warm and quiet.

Good luck.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Does she have head tilt?

Valerie711

Cavy Slave
[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]OK... she's more vibrant (although vibrant sounds better than she is) She's lazy, but moving... she has very little balance/coordination almost like a tiny baby trying to get toward something she does that Stevie Wonder head thing... say a vet, didn't like him a whole lot, he was somewhere in between not a pig vet and a pig vet, but at the time I was able to get there it became "beggars can't be choosers." Her scale broke in our recent move, and she's been 3.3 lbs for so long that I had stopped weekily weighing long ago and today they said she was 1.4 pound (OMG!!!) Boy that happened quick... she didn't feel skinny before. The vet is trying Baytil in case its a vestibular issue, but that according to him does not explain sudden shedding of pounds... he said we could spend a few hundred on x-rays and blood tests to rule in or out the kidney, liver and diabetic conditions, but we are for now treating the potential vestibular infection, and if it doesn't stop the wobbling then he says it could be a brain tumor... either way if it's not the vestibular disease there really isn't a treatment option... he trimmed her teeth (not her claws though?) and sent me home to hand feed her with no real specific instructions and no syringe... (the poultry syringe doesn't suck up the pellet mash too well because of the solids.... though she will eat the pellet and seed mix one piece at a time very slowly if I can get a pellet or a seed to her mouth... UGH! Now where do I get the damn syringe... the whole vets office was off focus because of a dog that arrived just before my GP with a gunshot wound.[/font]

Ly&Pigs said:
Does she have head tilt?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
She should be getting plain pellets only in a mash mixed with a little lukewarm pedialyte and/or some carrot/squash baby food mixed in for flavor. NO seeds or other bits. They can choke on those. If you can't do the pellet mash, she needs critical care. The pedialyte is for hydrating. Can you get a 3cc syringe? Most feedstores carry syringes and the needle part can be removed. I have found the 3cc size is a good size for handfeeding mash.

I am still wondering maybe an ear infection. Maybe you can find a more experienced vet? This one doesn't seem that knowledgable to me. That's why I asked does she have head tilt? You didn't answer that question. It is possible that it is a stroke as well. "

She's lazy, but moving...
Not lazy, lethargic.

Last edited:

Valerie711

Cavy Slave
Head tilt, yes..

Another vet, can't afford it even if there were another near by...

I'll call the farm supply and see if they have syringes for the barn cats that are orphaned...

Pedialyte... I thought he was BSing me... thanks for the confirmation...

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
If it's an ear infection, the baytril should clear it up. Also you will need to get a probiotic such as a poo from a healthy cavy (poop soup) or some acidophilus capsules that you can sprinke over veggies or mix with some pedialyte/water and syringe. Give the probiotic about 1-2 hours after the AB.

Bellebelle

Cavy Slave
One of my pigs had a stroke. It was confirmed by a vet. Jupiter didn't lose any weight but for days afterwards wasn't able to control movement and ate barely anything. His eyes flickered back and forth constantly and his whole head twitched every few seconds.

Emma

Valerie711

Cavy Slave
Part of me really suspects stroke... the eyes were flickery... but oddly and thankfully enough she has improved markedly so... (long way to go though) She waves her head around like a newborn trying to get control... she's got renewed interest in food (she's getting mash through a straw) The acidophilus won't be hard to come by as my toddler has been on it for 3 weeks... UGH! CHallenges!

Valerie711

Cavy Slave
Another Question

Has anyone heard of giving a GP Ensure Plus to gain weight? The vets are all out partying today and the vet nurse says they give it to hospitalized piggies there so I'm wondering???

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
I have never heard of this and never seen it mentioned on guinealynx either. I would go with Critical Care or a pellet mash. I wouldn't use ensure plus with a guinea pig.

Valerie711

Cavy Slave
critical care is a prescribed thing?

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Critical Care you should be able to get through your vet.

SkinnyPiggys

Cavy Slave
Slap Maxwell said:
Critical Care you should be able to get through your vet.

It's made by Oxbow (broken link removed). Most drugstores carry syringes too.

Valerie711

Cavy Slave
Well... no luck on CC... she is eating Parslet happily now and I decided that if she can eat that she can eat carrot and apple served wafer thin courtesy of the apple peeler... that seem to be fine by her...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.