Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Australia IN THE NEWS! Guinea pigs being bred and eaten as food in QLD!

enchantingcavy

Cavy Slave
Hi Guys,

I've read the article and gone on to read this womans webste. The link to her website is at the bottom of the page.
(broken link removed)(broken link removed)

Now I think sure nothing wrong with breeding/eating/growing/killing your own food 1: if it's quick and done humanly and 2: if it's in a country where the animal is not considered a domestic pet.
This is a quote from the article link above:

As for breeding and eating guinea pigs and pigeons, Elisabeth says her research indicates that it’s legal in Australia. “As far as I know it’s not illegal to kill your own home kill. I wouldn’t be going into cats or dogs because it doesn’t appeal to me and I don’t really think it’s socially acceptable but as far as I know I’m not going to be contravening anything”.

Now she's said that it's not socially acceptable to eat a dog or a cat because naturally these animals are domestic pets throughout Australia and I'm sure IF she was breeding and eating dogs or cats then this entire article probably would have gotten quite a large negative response from the public.....
Personally I don't agree with what she's written because guinea pigs are a domestic pet here in Australia and to me I don't think it's socially acceptable to be breeding and eating your own guinea pigs. What's everyone else's comments on this??? I wouldn't care less if this was in a country where they are commonly known to be bred for food but here in australia they are a domestic pet and I don't like the way she's separated dogs and cats from guinea pigs in regards to what's socially acceptable and what's not...

Would love to hear others comments on this article???

I know the above paragraph is only one part of the entire article and what this lady is on about but to me its a very important part and I may even write to the ABC rebuttling the statement....infact I probably will. Do you think it's worth writing to them about???

*~jess~*

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
I can't even read anymore. Seriously, dogs and cats are eaten in other countries around the world. If that's the next thing on their dinner plate, I'm sure people will be outraged. That just disgusts me, some people are just plain dumb.

Fluffball

Cavy Slave
It may not be ilegal but to me it certainly is imoral. Hah the line where her husband is a ''meatarian'' what next canabulism?? (sp) Meat is meat to them it doesnt matter if its any animal as long as they are top of the food chain and they can eat what they want. To me thats cave man thinking. What about animal rights? So they think as long as they irresponsibly breed, and kill these animals its okay?

''Sorry son we have to kill your guinea pig because we love meat and cant seem to stop killing every living thing that has meat on it in our sights''

Really we live in the 21st century this isnt the stone age here, sure you can lead a ''healthy'' life style but do you really have to resort to killing a creature that has no way to defend itself? In the past humans ''hunted'' animals and at least they had the chance to get away put up a fight. Here they are trapped no where to go. I for one would not like taking an innocent animals life based on the fact that I can and Im bigger. Are they proud for taking an animals life that cant defend itself?? Are they proud that they are killing animals even though there is a wider food supply out there instead of going against moral ethics and deciding yes guinea pig would be nice.

So they think society wont have anything against it? Hmm im sure they speak for the 20 million people here in Australia dont they? Sorry Dear but you dont. Its immoral and wrong plain and simple. You can only go too far and then you cross the line. And they sure have crossed the boundry with me.

Another thing: In south america guinea pig is eaten because it is readily available, quick and its inexpensive. Are they so poor that they have to do this as well?

Write to ABC. Ill write as well. Sure they may ignore it but at leat these people will see that its not ''okay'' with ''everyone'' like they seem to think.

SkinnyPiggys

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed)
"if it's in a country where the animal is not considered a domestic pet."

I never understood this way of thinking. I see no difference between eating a cow or eating a dog. They are both living animals with feelings. Just because a dog or a guinea pig are cuter they are spared? I love all animals not just the "cute" ones.

dukat
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

cutepiggy

Cavy Slave
Can't Someone Remove That Picture?

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
The picture was removed, but not because it was objectionable. The picture was only removed because there was no acknowledgement of where the picture came from.

dukat
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

The Magic Taco

Cavy Slave
A guinea pig is a domestic pet, I'd have thought it'd be illegal. Guess not.

I feel guilty, I ate pigeon once. I just had to get that off my chest.

The Magic Taco

Cavy Slave
Wait, it was quail, not pigeon.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.