Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ratties Need Help cage ideas.

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
So hubby and I decided to get 2 rats. First thing is to prepare is cage. I don't want to buy one unless I have too because I am a bit frugal. Here is my idea.

I already own one of these and it has seen better days. The drawers are completely broke and pretty much unfixable and the only thing I keep in it is diapers(which will hopefully we will not be needing anymore). Inside where the door is there are 4 shelves. I was thinking of taking off the door and using the frame and shelves already there and adding a few more shelves on the side where the drawers are going to be removed. Then I wanted to build some doors to put on the front of it so the whole thing will open and be easy to access. The only question I have is what do I cover the wood shelves with? Would the peel and stick tiles be ok or will the rats chew them up somehow? Any ideas?

DrkSilence13

Cavy Slave
I'm pretty sure the best thing to do is to coat the inside with a non-toxic water proof paint and then cover the shelves/floor. You can use the peel and stick tiles. If they're secure they shouldn't be able to chew them. That's all I can think of right now. But...if you do decide to just buy a cage you should check out www.martinscages.com

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
Oh i am definitly building. I already started it. I think I am going to go with the peel and stick tiles. The girl from the rescue said they should be ok as long as they are stuck right next to each other with no gap. Or I might jsut get a sheet of linoleum and stick that down. I am sooo excited.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.