Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Other Can you help

kimberly78

Cavy Slave
My friend runs a rescue and just took in over 20 hammies from a kill shelter. Some of them are preggo so there will be tons more. I am coming up with names for them but I have to do a little write up for each hammie to give them some personality so people want to come and see them. If you have any ideas you would like to share to help us out, that would be awesome!!

annaamber200510

Cavy Slave
hummm..... I don't know what to do to help you.:(

kimberly78

Cavy Slave
if you can just think of cute things hamsters do like my favorite things to do is hide my sunflower seeds around my cage and try to find them later. Some hamsters may think this is a waste of time but i like to play hide and seek. it can be corney, doesnt really have to make sense. I am just trying to make people want to meet them. its better than saying young hamster brown in color looking for a home. ya know what I mean? Its tough I know and I have over 20 to do. It can also be like for the new year all i want is a mommy and daddy to love, of couse some fluffy bedding would be nice too. That kind of stuff

annaamber200510

Cavy Slave
ok..I love to sleep under my friends, I love running around,but one of my favrit things is sleeping in your lap opps hands...

kimberly78

Cavy Slave
thats cute, now all i need are like 10 more! ha ha ha

Licorice

Cavy Slave
kimberly78 said:
My friend runs a rescue and just took in over 20 hammies from a kill shelter. Some of them are preggo so there will be tons more. I am coming up with names for them but I have to do a little write up for each hammie to give them some personality so people want to come and see them. If you have any ideas you would like to share to help us out, that would be awesome!!

You must mean Jenn from Looking for Love. I adopted a hamster from her last year and used to foster for Have a Heart. I now foster for North Jersey Guinea Pig & Hamster Rescue. She already has so many. Unfortunately, I can't help out as I have 16 of my own hamsters along with 7 owned guinea pigs and 4 fosters.

kimberly78

Cavy Slave
Yup Jen. I have known her for over 5 years and adopted many sweet babies from her. I am fostering 5 guinea pigs at the moment and she emailed me about the hammies. Its crazy and I am trying to write up a little on each hammie to help her out.

Licorice

Cavy Slave
North Jersey Guinea Pig/Hamster Rescue got an e-mail yesterday from a guy who put 2 teddy bear hamsters together and now he has 15. He said he didn't know they multiplied that fast. How stupid people can be - all it takes is one litter from a Syrian to get 20 babies.

My concern is whether he has separated them all because they are going to start breeding and then killing one another.

kimberly78

Cavy Slave
You know over the years I am horrifed on how many people still have no clue about animal care. Not only that but the lack of responsibilty, they want to get thier kids a pet to teach them various things only to be a hypocrite and not researching things themselves first. Out of the 20 that Jen took in more than half are on preggo watch and 3 of them I belive are due to birth any day now. UGH ok I am getting steemed.

Anywho if you can think of any cute descriptions I can add to the profiles let me know. Its hard to make them all seem cute and special.

Licorice

Cavy Slave
You can go the sympathy route also.

I remember having Syrian hamsters as a kid and didn't know they couldn't live together. My sister and I put 2 sisters together and hers almost killed mine. I didn't know until last year, when I got one for the first time in almost 30 years that they need to live alone. The one I adopted from Jenn was somewhat of a biter, but when he was in his run about ball he would come to me when I called him from anywhere in my apartment.

I also had guinea pigs when I was a child and they didn't know a 1/4 of what they know today on how to care for them. It has also become a lot more expensive. We used to use cedar and pine shavings for bedding for the scent.

My attraction to hamsters is how much they look like little bears and I especially love their tiny pink feet and big ears - I know I'm weird. It's really hard to write a description without knowing or seeing the hamsters. That's how I also name most of mine.

kimberly78

Cavy Slave
Oh no I truly understand that as well and over the years with various studies we all have come to realize we have have our ignorances. I wasnt doing "good" animal care either when I was little. BUT now a days with the internet and various sources I do feel like its a parents and an individuals responsiblty to do their homework. I love the teddy bear hammies too, their faces are just too cute!!! I had a sweet one years back but my luck with sweet hamsters ended there, the rest were a challenge.

Licorice

Cavy Slave
I have been very lucky with my hamsters. When Hamlet died (he was the one I adopted from Jenn) I replaced him with a panda hamster from a pet store. I then adopted a white banded cream with somewhat long hair and a true golden. My point is they are all extremely sweet. The cream one is a female who was I believe rather young when I adopted her and very scared. She will now curl up on me and go to sleep. All three of them look for me to take them out of their cage and don't really fight too much at being held. They are actually easier than my 7 Diva pigs who have attitudes bigger than their chubby bodies.

kimberly78

Cavy Slave
thats really cute! The other hammies i had, i took in from a woman who was admitting herself in a treatment center. The hammies were never handled and were 3 years old. Before I could really tame them and earn their trust they passed over. Now a days with fostering and a bunch of my own animals I dont have the proper time for another hammie of my own.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
That's in my area, and I'd love to adopt one, but I don't think my parents would appreciate any more furries in the house. Good luck, I hope they all find great homes! As for the descriptions, make them sound like the most adorable things in the world and make the reader feel guilty for not adopting any.

kimberly78

Cavy Slave
LOL thats easier said than done. I do have a few that I was able to write up lastnight. Its tough cause there are so many and I dont want them to sound a like.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.