Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Stairs instead of ramps?

nismosmama

Cavy Slave
Has anyone used a couple of bent grids staggered horizontally for their piggies to climb to the loft? Does it work for them? Momo is TERRIFIED of the ramp. I tried putting him on it to trya nd teach him that its ok, and he just wimpered and would not move in any direction, he wants nothing to do with the ramp. But I really want him to take advantage of the second floor. Nismo is a pro at it, but not Momo, he won't even follow nismo up there. I was thinking of making two of those futon looking things with the grids and staggering them and maybe Momo woud be willing to climb those. What do you all think?

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
It's worth a try. I use 'shelves' on a few levels in my cage. Some I used ramps, but for the others I just set a couple of grids at half-grid height and attached it. Easy. They jump up and down it as though it's the easiest thing in the world. Which is very similar what you're thinking of doing.

nismosmama

Cavy Slave
That's exactly what I'm thinking. I think I might give that a try this week and see how they like it.

SpoiledlilPigs

Cavy Slave
I was thinking of using this concept on my new cage remodel. But im afraid that if I take out there ramps which my girls love to incorporate into there full tilt laps. That they will just ignore or be confused by the stairs and not even want to use level 2 or 3.

Only reason i wanted to use stairs is to create more unobstructed running space.

Maybe the ramp doesnt "look" safe enough to Momo? It only took my girls a couple days to figure out the ramp and they have no fear of it at all. Like I said they run up and down it full speed. And my ramp is made the same way as yours.

So maybe stairs will be more comfortable for Momo. But maybe he just doesnt like going UP period lol. Good luck to you, Im sure your idea of using bent grids will work fine.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I have both a futon the girls jump onto to get up onto the mini level which makes it easier for lazy pigs to go up there and a ramp. I think a staggering futon idea would be good.

homeschoolmama

Cavy Slave
Wow, I think we'll have to try this for our boys. I saw the stairs made of pencil boxes the other day & thought that was the most ingenious idea! We're experimenting with ramp shapes & angles right now, and Mr. Pigg just doesn't seem to like any of them. Stairs he's used to though, with the brick step into the hay-racks. And now that we've got a bigger cage, I won't feel like I'm taking up too much of their precious space to try something like this.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.