Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

=) please help

kevin007

Cavy Slave
I am planning on getting a dutch bunnylol

however, i need i know if these 2 products are good for my litter box:

1.(broken link removed)

2.(broken link removed)

Are these products the best for the bunnies? if not is there better products?:) thanks

naturestee

Cavy Slave
You're first link didn't work. The second one was timothy hay. It's very good for rabbits, but I prefer to keep it in a rack above the litter box to keep it clean. And for litter, hay does not absorb any liquid whatsoever.

Kaytee hay is alright but gets expensive in the long run, especially since I have four rabbits. I order big 25 lb boxes from Oxbow. Buying in bulk makes the hay much cheaper. You can also buy hay from feed stores, farmers, and horse stables as long as you know how to tell good hay from bad hay. I can't.:)

For litter, I like wood pellet bedding such as ABM or Woody Pet. You can usually find it at farm stores or feed stores, packaged as horse bedding. It's really cheap and more absorbent than anything else I've used, including several brands of recycled paper.

I love dutchies- they're so cute and often have silly personalities. Are you adopting yours?

SkinnyPiggys

Cavy Slave
I use Woody Pet in my litterbox and hang a hay rack above the box. I use all of the Oxbow products (broken link removed).

Make sure you check out www.rabbit.org. Good luck!

kevin007

Cavy Slave
The product was carefresh bedding and litter

this was the product from my first link, i plan to put it under the hay. I heard that bad hay causes bunnies to get mites? and i plan to adopt mine =) thank you for your help.

Btw i have never heard of a hay rack, but sounds good to me! i'll do some more research now =) i've spend the last 6 hrs reserching anywayslol

SkinnyPiggys

Cavy Slave
kevin007 said:
The product was carefresh bedding and litter

Carefresh is fine to use. It's just a little more expensive to use. You don't have to use a hayrack. You can also put the hay directly into the litterbox. Just keep it on one end. They usually pee in one corner of their box so try to put the hay on the opposite end. Also make sure to put fresh hay in everyday and scoop out the dirty spots.

Are you planning on making this a house rabbit?

kevin007

Cavy Slave
thanks for the help, yes this will be a house rabbit, therefore i cannot stand any mites, lice or ..any of those stuff, i'm kinda scared, is it true that hay can bring mites to rabbits? dutch are a type of dwarf right? and stay small?

SkinnyPiggys

Cavy Slave
kevin007 said:
thanks for the help, yes this will be a house rabbit, therefore i cannot stand any mites, lice or ..any of those stuff, i'm kinda scared, is it true that hay can bring mites to rabbits? dutch are a type of dwarf right? and stay small?

Dutch is a type of coloring. I have had pet rabbits for over 20 years and have always fed hay and never had a problem with mites. They are fed unlimited Timothy hay. If you are looking for a small sized rabbit you might want to look at Netherland Dwarfs. Where are you adopting a rabbit from? Do you have a cage yet?

You can find rabbits up for adoption at www.petfinder.com

Make sure to read www.rabbit.org!

SkinnyPiggys

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure where you are located but here is a Dutch rabbit that is up for adoption:

(broken link removed)

They come in different colors but the same type of patterning. Another thing to keep in mind is that you need to get your rabbit spayed/neutered. Many shelters will do this before you even adopt one.

naturestee

Cavy Slave
Skinnypigs, I've heard of that, but for the record mine pee on their hay if it's in the litterbox.

I've *heard* of hay bringing in fur mites, but I don't know anyone who's had this problem. It's probably more likely in hay that was bought directly from farmers or horse barns, as there's less quality control there.

Dutch rabbits are a breed with a particular color pattern. They are actually one of the oldest breeds known. Dutch are not a dwarf breed, they are a medium-sized breed. They are supposed to be from 3-5 pounds. Most of the ones I've seen, including my dutch Loki, are about 5 lbs. My two "true" dwarfs are about 2 lbs and 2.5 lbs, while my "non-dwarf" (lacks dwarf gene but is a dwarf hotot) dwarf is 3.5 lbs.

I just typed dwarf a whole lot of times.:crazy:

You can make a simple hay rack out of a bent wire grid, the ones we use to build our cages with.

I highly recommend the rabbits.org site. Of course, I also highly recommend C&C cages. As you research, keep in mind that rabbits need space, exercise, and toys. They are social and often like a rabbit companion, but need to be spayed/neutered and you need to read up on bonding if you want to do that. Some shelters have pairs that are already bonded.

It's good to see you're researching before you get your rabbit! It's surprising how many people don't.

bunnyluv17

Cavy Slave
I would actually reccomend a medium to large rabbit for a first time rabbit owner. Don't get me wrong, I love dwarfs and have one myself, but they tend to be more highstrung than the larger rabbits.

I would definitely visit your local shelters or rabbit rescues as they are probably filled to the brim with a wide variety of rescued rabbits, including dutches. They will often know the individual personalities of the rabbits and can help you to pick out the right one.

Good Luck!

Sonic

Cavy Slave
I use dog litter for my bunny. It's really expensive, but last along time and absorebs great. And there is no smell. I have tried just about everything, and this is my favorite litter. (broken link removed)

angela_jane

Cavy Slave
HI Kevin,

I use pine pellets. This is my first rabbit, I also have 2 guine pigs and a bearded dragon. She like the pellets and they aren't super dusty. I have had to use pine shaving for the past 3 months with my poor piggies and it is horrible!!!! The shavings get in places that they shouldn't be and they really don't stop any addes smell. Anyway, back to bunnies. I have a lop. I thought she was a minnie lop, but no, she is just a lop :) I don't keep her hay up on a rack only because she has a special spot in her cage where I set her hay.
I was lucky that she was basically litter trained when I got her (as much as a major petstore can do) and she has been very receptive to only going in her box when she is out and about.
I have to say, I love my piggies, but WOW, she is my little bit of heaven. I love having her as my friend. She is SO not a pet. I learned this with my piggies (they have their own frame of mind), but she really showed me that all animals have thoughts and feelings and we are so lucky to be able to have them grace us with their presence :)

OK, off the soap box!!! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!! congrats on your bunny!!!
Angela Jane

l_eris_l

Cavy Slave
I have used Carefresh and I love it. Wal-mart makes a cheaper knockoff version of it, which I think is $1.30 or so cheaper. It's called "Critter Care" and that's what I usually buy.

I put hay in my rabbit's litter box once and he took it out and kicked it away. He loves his hay, but apparently not in the box. ;)

~Eris~

lilliesmomma

Cavy Slave
The cheapest and best litter I have found is wood pellets. You can get them at Walmart or at a woodstove/fireplace store. They are for burning in a wood pellet stove. Someone on this site recommended them awhile back and I have never gone back to my old litter! The pellets absorb the urine and kills any nasty smells. Fabulous stuff!

I also sprinkle a thin layer of cross-cut shredded white paper (non-glossy) on the top (if those credit card companies only knew where there preapproval offers were going!). This makes the litter box a bit softer and it's free!

I buy a dozen bags at a time to save money. I go through one bag about once a month. It lasts a bit more than a month but it varies. During the winter they are more cooped up inside than in the summer.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.