Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Big enough for 3 ladies

SpoiledlilPigs

Cavy Slave
As part of there christmas presents. Im goin to expand the girls cage. Right now its just a 2x3 with 2 - 1x2 lofts.

It suggests a 2x5 for 3 girls but i dont have that much room. So what I think im goin to do is build a 3 level cage. Bottom floor and second floor will both be 2x4's and then im goin to make a 1x2 or 2x2 hay loft.

Would two 2x4 levels be enough to make up for not having space for a 2x5. would you suggest the ramps be in the middle of the floors or against the side (the way my ramp now)

Just wanna make sure this will be enough space. Cause I dont PLAN (we know how that is) to be changing it for awhile after this.

Oh and I also made my piggies a ramp that goes from there first level to the floor outa 3 bent grids so they can go into there floor pen whenever they feel like it throughout the day when noone is home. They seem to love this but usually prefer staying in there cage. This really shows that our piggies LOVE there C&C's

guineapiglvr14

Cavy Slave
I think two 2x4s would be fine, because a 2x4 is the min. for 3 pigs, at least I think. :shhh:

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
A 2x4 is the absolute min for 3 pigs. Your cage should be fine for 3 pigs the way you are going to make it. Instead of putting in a ramp and taking away floor space you could jsut put a jump to get to the second level by putting a grid halfway up so they have to jump to that and then jump to the next level. Just a thought.

SpoiledlilPigs

Cavy Slave
How well do jumps work? I thought about building them stairs so that they could still have un-obstructed runs around the levels. Im worried my pigs wouldnt be able to figure out the jumps and be less interested in going up. They love there ramps they do laps up and down them all the time.

I would like unubstructed running space though and stairs or a jump is the easiest way to fix that problem.

JennG

Cavy Slave
I don't like jumps personally but then Angel is blind so I have to make sure she's safe in the cage. I think its great that they have access to the floor pen. I wish I could do that but my cage is huge as it is. Hubby may squeak if I take over any more of my son's room. HaHa!

I think your cage will be big enough for your three girls. I would keep a few simple things on the 1st floor and you could make the 2nd floor more of a lounge and the third floors where their hay and food is kept. That way they'll also get exercise and have motivation to do it. ;)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.