PDA

View Full Version : Closer hay supplier??

rachieanne99
12-17-05, 12:16 am
I saw the thread about the wonderful sale going on at KM's hay--however, while the hay is a super good deal, it costs an arm and a leg to send it to MN. Does anybody know of a place to get GOOD hay online that would be a little easier on the wallet for shipping? Anybody around Minnesota?? Thanks!

aqh88
12-17-05, 12:28 am
Well you can try Oxbow in Nebraska. It's probably the closest to the midwest states although there are a few popular places that I don't know where they are. It is quite a bit in shipping to get KM's hay to me(zone 7) but a bit more worth it with the sale. Just wish the 45lb boxes were offered right now. Mostly I still order her hay but when I'm low on cash I get oxbow since being only 1 state away the shipping is nearly half as much.

Ly&Pigs
12-17-05, 11:41 am
The 45lb. boxes are on sale Aqh. So are the 25lb. and 35lb. boxes. This is the time to get it. It would be $51 for hay and shipping for the 45lbs. to zone 7. If you want to order 100lbs, it will be approximately $102, you would have to contact her for a quote. It's that price for me for 100lbs. and I live in zone 7 too.

Emmett
12-17-05, 02:26 pm
I would try to find a animal feed store or a hay farmer and buy a complete hay bail. $51.00 dollars for a small amount of hay seems just way over priced to me. You might even be able to find a local stable who would sell you one of their bales. They pay by the ton and probably would be more than happy to sell you a bail and make a profit. They may even have a broken bale. I buy grass hay from a local hay farmer but when he runs out I get it from a feed store. I've never paid more than $9.00 a bail. Just remember to wrap the hay in a tarp when you bring it home or you'll be vacuuming your car out for an eternity. I've learned the hard way.

Ly&Pigs
12-17-05, 03:06 pm
For a small amount of hay? We are talking 45lbs which isn't a small amount. Some people do buy hay locally but sometimes the local hay is crappy or people like to give their pigs the best. I buy bales locally, just bought a new bale of Bermuda last week but they love timothy hay and bluegrass and I can't get either locally. So thanks to a few of the wonderful members on this forum, my girls are getting hay from KM for Christmas.

homeschoolmama
12-17-05, 03:09 pm
Hi rachieanne! I am in MN too :) You can get Oxbow hay at Chuck & Don's... here is the link to their locations.

http://www.chuckanddons.com/pages/about_us/locations.html

Other than that, I used to buy Timothy hay through the feed store in Anoka but they no longer carry anything but alfalfa. Depending on where you are, you can check your Dex yellow pages for "feed stores" or "livestock," and if you're out in the country a bit it might be easiest to check with a nearby stable & see where they get their hay for horses... that ought to help! I live in the cities now, and it's just easier for me to order through KM than drive several hours for a bale... and much easier to store since storing a whole bale takes quite a bit of room.

Good luck!

aqh88
12-17-05, 03:21 pm
Noone in Iowa grows grass hay. The only so called grass hays I've found would be better labelled weed hay. I know locally 45lbs of hay would only go for $10.

Ly bluegrass isn't offered in 45lbs only 35lbs due to springiness.

Ly&Pigs
12-17-05, 09:02 pm
Ly bluegrass isn't offered in 45lbs only 35lbs due to springiness.
Sorry, forgot about that.

Emmett
12-17-05, 10:24 pm
For a small amount of hay? We are talking 45lbs which isn't a small amount. Some people do buy hay locally but sometimes the local hay is crappy or people like to give their pigs the best. I buy bales locally, just bought a new bale of Bermuda last week but they love timothy hay and bluegrass and I can't get either locally. So thanks to a few of the wonderful members on this forum, my girls are getting hay from KM for Christmas.
The bales I buy are from 80 to 100 pounds and good timothy and prairie grass with no alfalfa. I lived on a ranch most of my life and can't make myself pay inflated prices for hay unless there is no other option. I'd rather give my money to a local farmer.

rachieanne99
12-18-05, 12:04 am
Hi rachieanne! I am in MN too :) You can get Oxbow hay at Chuck & Don's... here is the link to their locations.

http://www.chuckanddons.com/pages/about_us/locations.html

Thank you so much for that tip!! I checked out their site, and I think that may be a winner. I am going home to Roseville for my semester break next week, and there is a Chuck and Don's right in Roseville! I shall have to check it out.

rachieanne99
12-18-05, 12:26 am
Well, after comparing some pricing from a few different places, KM is the best deal, even with the huge shipping costs. After hearing the rave reviews of their hay, I think I should order some. It will cost more now, but I think will save me tons of money in the long run. Thanks for everyone's advice!!

mab0615
12-18-05, 04:43 am
You save even more on the shippin if you order 200lbs. I live in zone 8 and just ordered 150lbs of hay and 50 lbs of pellets for $192.00. Still comes out cheaper than buying from a store. My only problem is where the heck I'm gonna put it!!

homeschoolmama
12-18-05, 03:57 pm
You are so welcome! I frequent the Roseville Chuck & Don's myself. It's in the strip-mall with Byerly's, in the same parking lot as Don Pablos just off of Snelling... you can't miss it!

DannyK
12-22-05, 10:57 pm
Thanks for the tip of the Km hay, I just ordered some for my new piggies!

BabyGrl
12-23-05, 12:00 am
I have a huge box of Km's hay now and before that I had oxbow. I am really wanting to find a local place for hay so I went to this feed store and the hay there looked kinda gross. I didnt get any, but I guess my question is will hay from a feed store look like kleenmamas or is hers just so darn good that other hay does not compare? The hay at the feed store looked kinda brownish and they had it store outside under a carport looking thing. Is this typical of all feed stores or maybe i just hit up a bad one?