Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I'm out of hay!!

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
I ran out yesterday afternoon. I was planning on getting my gramma to take me to the feedstore near us. My mom can't take me because she won't be home until around 9. My gramma won't take me because of the snow/rainy weather. They finished the last of hay around midnight last night! The hay I ordered won't be here untill the 21st. I know they need it before then. I was going to get some this weekend because I noticed the box was low, but when we got to the feed store we remebered it was Sunday. They were closed. I was hoping the hay would last the week.

Will them not having hay untill tommorow hurt them? I can't go pick grass because of the 5 inches of snow on the ground from last weeks snow storm. I'm looking for a pet store that is open late but they all close at 8 or 9. Should I just give more veggies? More pellets?

I feel like such a terrible cavy slave.:guilty: I'm letting my pigs down. :ashamed:

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
Hey, don't feel bad! It's happened to me before too. I subsituted it with Readigrass (dried grass) for a few hours, but this obviously isn't an option for you.
I think your best bet for now is to just increase the amount of pellets they get. The pellets are hay-based after all, so plenty of pellets seems the most sensible thing to me until you can get more hay.

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
I'm a lucky kid. There is a petsmart near my mom's job and it's open until 10:30. I was looking for places near her old job. I feel relieved now. Poor piggies. :(

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
That happened to me a few days ago. Believe me, they didn't let me forget they didn't get their hay. It was a mad house until the next day when the feed store was open.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
If you run out and can't get any for a day or two, the pigs will be fine without. But never go more than one or two days without.

lol_adel

Cavy Slave
with my guinea pigs we have a special hay mix in with thier pellets.

Kriket

Cavy Slave
It's funny, we're so concerned about hay for our pigs, but I know that there are hundreds of piggies all over who don't get a constant supply of hay... maybe some for a treat now and then, maybe never even getting any. Are these piggies unhealthy?

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Kriket said:
Are these piggies unhealthy?
I don't know if unhealthy would be the right word for it. Their owners are probably getting lucky if they don't have overgrown teeth though. There's also a higher probability that they might get impacted because of a lack of fiber in their diets. I know Percy and Caramel have both seemed a lot happier since getting hay every single day. I had Percy for a few months before coming here, and Caramel was a couple + years with his old owner before I got him, and neither of them had hay on a regular basis. I can tell they are both happier and in better shape than before.

I just wish there was a neater way to get the hay from the box to the cage without getting it all over the floor.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
with my guinea pigs we have a special hay mix in with thier pellets.
I don't understand what you mean by this? Is the pellets made from a special hay or do you have the hay and pellets all mixed together? What kind of hay is it that makes it so special? If you are not providing your pigs with unlimited hay that they can graze on, then you are doing a disservice to them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.