Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ratties Stuff your rats have eaten.

dirty hippie

Cavy Slave
I was recently cleaning out a nest that my rats built in the back of our couch, and I found:
several used tea-bags
a complete set of silverware (fork, knife, and spoon)
about $40 of shredded money
our Metallica tickets that my boy lost two years ago
an empty potato chip sack
photographs
homework & syllabus from my Primate Life Studies class
an rx for Cymbalta (shredded)
cat poop
a hairbrush
tufts of my hair

Over the years, my rats have tried to hoard:
an entire pizza box with half a large pizza still in it
a full bag of potato chips
an 8-week baby that we were fostering
a dinner plate
a mickey of rum in a glass jar

When I received my first rats, we ended up with two accidental pregnancies because of a mis-sexed (by the vet, the humane society, and myself) male. One of the mother rats spent her entire life breaking out of her cage so that she could stash her newborn pups (and those of the other mother) around my bedroom. She was a very eager mommy.

Chloë-Jasmine

Cavy Slave
That is quite a collection! When I had my 2 rats they ate quite few things too, they would break out of their cage or the cat would pick it open. My list was

3 Crayon Halves.
A good 5 inches of my favourite pair of pants.
Most of a mitten.
A Flakie, only SOME of the rapper remained.
A few pages ripped out of my dairy, and a few with some teeth marks in it.
and numerous articals of clothing and sheets.

That last list made me laugh, if all those things were at once you could say they wanted to have a party for the baby LOL. I thought I was the only one with destructive rats :p

dirty hippie

Cavy Slave
Ohhh yeah. The clothes that my rats have eaten holes through...and someone they always manage to eat my favorite shirts/pants, y'know?

2pigs4rats

Cavy Slave
My rats always find stuff to eat when they are out playing, yesterday I saw Henry running across the desk with a piece of chocolate cake wrapped up in kitchen roll in his mouth the size of him!
When I first got him I was eating an egg sandwich and whilst I was turned away playing with his sister(thought it was a brother - silly petsore) Henry ahd ran up and nicked my sandwich and was half way across the floor with it!

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
My list is short since I have not had them long but they have eaten a hole in my favorite sweatshirt, a piece of a fleece blanket, and my husbands sweatshirt that he left next to their cage. They pulled it in and went to town on it. It looks like swiss cheese.

2pigs4rats

Cavy Slave
Sootie pulled my work overall into his cage and shredded ot, as well as a pair of my fave heans and a hoodie!

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
I think it is funny. He knows better than to throw his stuff on the floor. He should not have been lazy, hehe

HockeyPigg

Cavy Slave
When we had rats 4 of them they ate any kind of food that would come near them. That included chips, some meat, veggies, pretzels, all sorts of stuff. We fed them leftovers sometimes too and they managed to be very old for rats. Three out of four live to be 4 years old and another lived 5 which is the most I've ever heard of. They also liked to chew CD's and other shiny obejects as well as the Kleenex boxes in the cage.

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
I've never had a rat, but I've had 5 mice, I kept them in my room, but one night they were just loud i put them in the storage cupboard, and the next morning I found that I had kept them a little too close to a palstic bag, they had pulled it in and chewed holes in it. I was very worried about them, but they lived for another year.

LilSweety

Cavy Slave
Sounds like rats are very destructive!
Now I know to never get one! (Didn't plan one getting one anyways! :p)
I'd be calling them "Crappy" forever! Hehe...

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
Now Lilsweety I take offense to that. hehe. Actually rats are awesome! Both of mine answer to their names and love attention. They are kind of like little dogs. They will come right to you when you open the cage and they love cuddles. They just enjoy chewing things so you have to be careful that goes near their cage. Mine just shredded a large piece of foam that hubby left on top of the cage. They really are awesome pets though.

ginger_fish

Cavy Slave
Many many socks, a new pair of boxers, paper, our blanket(before we moved his cage onto two end tables). They don't really chew much at all when they're out of the cage, only there hay bag and that's only because the bag is to big to store in a cabnet.

I'msocute!!!!~

Cavy Slave
Hehehehe!!!! I'm getting two baby boy rats on tuesday, cant wait!!!!

Zenith Cherry

Cavy Slave
My friend was staying the night and she left her stuff next to the rat cage and in the morning they had drug particles of a leather purse, a whole sweater, a shirt and a half, several tubes of lipstick (which were promptly smeared every where) a granola bar and 2 bucks through the bars of their cage. Needless to say, she was very mad. I laughed.

Alusdra

Cavy Slave
I've never had rats, but I did have gerbils for 5-6 years (one for 5, one for 6... my old men..) Anyway- they chewed up a loooot of stuff in that time, the only things I mourned though was my glow-in-th-dark System of a Down sweatshirt and the only pair of gloves I have EVER found that actually fit my hands (I have ridiculously short thumbs). Totally worth it, though- they were great buddies.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.