Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n What if...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meadow

Cavy Slave
Hi,

This question has kind of been bugging me...I am wondering what would happen if EVERYONE in the world were veg*n. I have my own answer, but I was just wondering what all of you think.

Thanks.

Chloë-Jasmine

Cavy Slave
I think if I just happened suddenly, all the fast food chains would die and I would loose my job (YES! So-long drive thru!) supermarkets would become pricier because they wouldn't have meat to sell... everyone would be healthier and when people had a farm it would be small and for fun. No body would be fat (except maybe from eating too many potato chips and fries) and heart diesease would die. And my favourite one of all... Every mom would breast feed... I'm going to do that no matter what. So, I can probably think of more, but those were the things that first came to mind

Maggie

Cavy Slave
I'm NOT starting an argument over this - I'd just like to point this out!
The wild deer population would increase, since we've wiped out all of their natural predators and people wouldn't be hunting for meat anymore. So, they would breed and breed, and then starve and starve until their numbers went down, and then start breeding again when the food grows back - it's nature's way of keeping everything in balance. And not only deer, also rabbit and birds and other game animals.
I'd also like to point this out - there are still many families running dairy or swine farms for a living, and have been doing so for generations, so that would probably end like it is around here. (Many farmers can't support themselves anymore in my area because they aren't getting paid enough to cover all the costs of modern times) Of course, vegetable farms would flourish. :)

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
The wild deer population would increase, since we've wiped out all of their natural predators and people wouldn't be hunting for meat anymore

You're in the same basic area as me, so you probably know that around here there is already a HUGE population of deer. I can't even imagine what would happen if that increased! I agree that the vegetable farms would be the next "hot job" on the market.

ellenvega

Cavy Slave
Banning deer hunting is not something I'd want to see. The population is exploding around here, too, and humans are about their only natural predators. It would result in more dead people (from car crashes) and dead/maimed deer (from said crashes). Anyway, that's more Kitchen forumish than Veg forumish.

CavyKind

Cavy Slave
I think given time, man and the economy would adapt. There would be an awful less animal cruelty and we would all undoubtedly be a lot healthier!

Barbara

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
I don't think fast food would die. I think they would comeout with more varieties of veggie burgers.

They would just sell 1/4 pounder veggie burgers with soy cheese, soy bacon and mushrooms. :)

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
They would just sell 1/4 pounder veggie burgers with soy cheese, soy bacon and mushrooms.

Haha, that's true. Anything to keep their business growing. Did anyone notice that now Applebees has an option to get their burgers in veggie burgers? I was so happy when I saw that, I don't have to just get a salad when I'm there now.

Inrun

Cavy Slave
If there were no animal based farms though, farmers would have very little reason to shoot predators so the population of natural predators may increase again. However, if you also look at it, with more veggie farms, there may be a bigger cull of things like deer/rabbits due to the fact that they do eat crops (though, frankly, I don't believe they'd do enough damage for this to really be an issue, loss would be minimal so long as farmers owned a dog or some such, or a way of spooking such animals. And ways do exist).

However, I must admit that were we to get rid of all such animal farms, what would happen to all the distinct breeds of farm animals that would be left with no purpose? But thats just me wondering about such things.

laura220

Cavy Slave
If we all became vegetarian(which would be great) we wouldn't need to worry about the huge deer population. We would need to put alot of strength into predator rehabilitation and the deer wouldn't be a problem. But until then yes, some would need to be culled but not sold to people but to be made into..dog food!

Maggie

Cavy Slave
Inrun said:
However, if you also look at it, with more veggie farms, there may be a bigger cull of things like deer/rabbits due to the fact that they do eat crops (though, frankly, I don't believe they'd do enough damage for this to really be an issue, loss would be minimal so long as farmers owned a dog or some such, or a way of spooking such animals. And ways do exist).

You may not know it, but deer and rabbits, and woodchucks too, do TONS of damage in my area, which is why we're trying so hard to keep their populations DOWN! (Woodchucks breed quickly, so there's no season on them you can hunt them year-round. I'm not sure about rabbits, but deer have a season) The only predators we have around here are coyotes, and TONS of them, which we're also trying to cut down. (They've replaced the wolves, so they can't come back) But, if we do start puting predators back, we'd have to change our lifestyles. Since we would no longer have those livestock, they might start going after humans once again. (I know, it would be rare! But still...)
I agree with you though about all the farm breeds that would hold no purpose anymore. Steers have been bred so that now they grow at quick rates and have to be butchered by a certain age, this is also true with certain poultry. (I never said it was right, I don't raise broilers, which are the meat chickens) I don't think enough farmers would still make enough to continue raising those breeds just for enjoyment, and then years and years of tradition and truly wonderful animals would die out...

ellenvega

Cavy Slave
Yes, what would happen to all the farm animals now? People would keep them as pets? Doubtful, when we can't even find enough homes for dogs and cats and guinea pigs, much less a hog or a cow.

We would need to put alot of strength into predator rehabilitation and the deer wouldn't be a problem.

I can't imagine the types of predators we'd have to have to keep the deer numbers down. Methinks the general public won't take kindly to packs of wolves and cougars roaming the backyards.

Deer and rabbits do tons of damage to farm crops, and to peoples' gardens too, ask anyone in a rural area with veggie gardens and they will tell you that.

cheesepiggie

Cavy Slave
The whole world would corrupt... I mean I LOVE animals, but humans eating animals is nature's way of keeping balance in the ecosystem... I mean with everyone not eating meat and such, animal population would increase rapidly.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Alright. This thread has devolved into stupid posts. I'm sorry, but I'm not tolerating such crap here. This is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.