Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hopping Guinea Pig

SlightlyUsed

Cavy Slave
My friend's Guinea Pig is in a 2X3 with 2 other Guinea Pigs :sad: and recently she's been hopping around. Her front paw seems a little swollen and she's not moving very much. Any advice I can give her?

RyanR

Cavy Slave
Get her to the vet. She might have an infected paw or bumblefoot.

2pigs4rats

Cavy Slave
I think perhaps that maybe because the cage is pretty small, it would get dirty with three pigs in it. It's possible that this might have casued bumblefoot. What kind of bedding is she using? I s the pig eating and drinking? I think if it doesn't get better she needs to take her piggy to the vet - i'm no expert by any means but it sounds painful for the piggy!
Also, why has she got three pigs in a 2 by 3?

LBKK

Cavy Slave
Um yeah, take it to the vet!!!

If you are worried about hurting your friend's feelings, I'd #1 suggest the vet and #2 suggest this site and Guinea Lynx for her to look at to "get ideas why her pig's foot is swollen." Hopefully, she'll come across things in her search that she will notice she needs to change....i.e. cage size!!

SlightlyUsed

Cavy Slave
Well see that's not her only problem...myself and my girlfriend have told her otherwise...but two of the Guineas are Males...and no matter what we tell her...she won't separate them...I think it's her room mate, cause her room mate is going totally crazy with animals...I was wondering if maybe there was something I could say to her to scare her into separating them?

SlightlyUsed

Cavy Slave
I will have her read it, I read it and it hit me hard, so I'm hoping it will have an effect on her. Thank you.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Tell her that the sow could die and the pups could die as well if she gets pregnant. Tell her there are many pregnancy complications that can happen to and ask her if she has a few hundred dollars saved up in case of said pregnancy/labor complications.

The pig needs to see a vet about the foot. https://guinealynx.info/feet.html

SkinnyPiggys

Cavy Slave
Would your friend let you take the little girl? You need to have a serious discussion with this person. Maybe you can help her find a new home for the piggie. In the meantime it's very important that she gets to a vet.

Good luck! I hope that you can talk some sense into her.

~Julie

SlightlyUsed

Cavy Slave
I hope so too, and thanks.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.