Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

The Verdict on Certain Foods

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
I've tried a few new foods with my pigs recently. I expected most of them to be ignored, but they actually loved most of them!

Dill is loved by all the pigs. I was very surprised. Personally I thought it smelled like pig pee. Maybe that was the attraction for them. :rolleyes:

Basil went down well with Tuppence and Jazzie. I tried Charlie and Tuppy with some basil last year, and they weren't at all pleased with it, but Tuppy seemes to have changed her tune. She ate half-a-handul in one go without hesitating! Charlie didn't even nibble basil, and Lottie only played with it (throwing it around, nibbling it, hitting the others with it).

Cherries were also a big hit. Charlie absolutely loves them, Tuppence and Jazzie do too, but Lottie isn't so sure. She nibbled them, but compared with the others she didn't seem overly impressed.

Lettuces are always part of their daily diet, but I bought a new lettuce mix which is one of their all-time favourite foods now. It consists of Escarole, Mizuna, Red Batavia and Lollo Rosso. Not one little bit is left when they've finished eating. It is the only lettuce mix which they eat everything of.

My pigs will never fail to surprise me!

Kriket

Cavy Slave
What brand is that lettuce mix? I think I might give it a try to give the girls a little more variety. I think I might just pick up a couple of the different lettuces though, that would probably cost less and I'd get more. I'm glad they're expanding their piggie horizons!

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
It's a supermarket (Tesco) mix, so you probably won't have it in the US. The Mizuna in the mix was what surprised me most - they seemed to love it!

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
What's the lettuce called in Tesco CCC? I might have a look as I'm always looking to broaden their culinary horizons!

guineapiglvr14

Cavy Slave
My pigs are total opposits, I tried 3 new things and they like 1 out of the 3.:rolleyes:

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
daft, it's in purple packaging. I'll pick some more up tomorrow and take a pigture or let you know the exact name of it. It's definitely the one in the purple packet with mizuna in - you should find it quite easily. If not, I'll let you know more about it when I can.

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
Thanks, I shall go for a wee lookie tomorrow.

♥pepsi♥

Cavy Slave
ah your pigs are as fussy as mine, carrots, lettuce, apples, kibble (pig chaff), grass, and anything in the garden is their diet. They wont touch anything else :) ah well, they live outside and their "play time" involves being let loose in the backyard. So their free to chew on whatever they want, our garden only exists of pig safe plants.

A outdoor pig, in a large hutch, has just as good life as an indoor pig, exept they have the benifits of 24 hour outdoors, and hot waterbottles on cold nights

♥amber and pigs♥

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
There is only one word that keeps going through my head. Let me give you a hint...:troll1: Sorry I couldn't help myself any longer

pink_cottonball

Cavy Slave
A lettuce mix, that sounds interesting my pigs only get romaine and leaf lettuce, I think that I'm going to have to go shopping with my list of safe foods for piggers to eat and SHOP TIL' I DROP! lol WE already have a variety but a variety of lettuces would make the over all variety even bigger!

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
I'm going shopping after work this evening. Hopefully, the veggies will look good in the produce department, Percy has been looking a little bored with his salad lately. Maybe we'll try a little dill.

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
Pepsi do you happen to know Kevin? Just wondering....

Kriket

Cavy Slave
babygrl1234 said:
Pepsi do you happen to know Kevin? Just wondering....

I was wondering that as well.

2pigs4rats

Cavy Slave
Don't mean to be rude...but who's kevin - sorry I am nosey!

pink_cottonball

Cavy Slave
lol, Yup,Kevin and Ly are the best of buddies (just joking) That was certainly a reminder not to mess with any of the mods! 2pigs4rats that is a must read when you come to the forum ,I think it is the posting rules except in a different format! I certainly learned alot after reading that. Just thinking that too, Kriket!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
You all have it wrong. Louis is my best friend!!!

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
MMMM...dill was a big hit with Percy too. His cage smelled a tiny bit pickly this morning after he had it last night. Guess it came through when he went potty after eating his veggies.

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
Heehee Louis. So sad I wasn't around then.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.