PDA

View Full Version : Silkie is sneezing and has a runny nose

SleepyBirdy
12-10-05, 11:54 am
I'm new here, hello everyone! I really need help. I just got a new piggie for my Angel since her companion died.:( I went to PetsMart and they had two two month old abbies! I held them both but one had a really runny nose. Silkie(thats her name) seemed fine so we took her home. Well today she was sneezing, runny nose. We called PetsMart, they told us to bring her back, I don't want to take her back, shes darling. besides, PEtsMart is sooo far away, it takes us an hour and 45 minutes to get there.
I have already seperated her from Angel, I put her in a cat carrier. Shes on shredded paper to see if she was allergic to Angels bedding. I had to show her how to drink from the water bottle. I'm keeping a good eye on her, making sure she is warm. She doesn't eat much but thats probuly because shes getting used to everything. I really don't want to go to the vet, its almost x mas, we don't have extra money.:confused:

Idril
12-10-05, 11:58 am
This is from http://www.animed.org/guinea_pigs_common_health_problems.htm

An ah-choo or two is par for the course for guinea pigs, but constant sneezing and coughing can indicate a variety of RESPIRATORY PROBLEMS, ranging in severity from the common cold to a very serious case of pneumonia. If these symptoms are accompanied by lethargy, appetite loss and runny nose, move your pet to a warm room and call your vet ASAP. If you have more than one pig, it's a smart idea to quarantine the infected individual.

Give her some treats to boost her energy and vitamins, and watch her for a while.

SleepyBirdy
12-10-05, 12:00 pm
She does sneeze every 2-5 minutes. oh this is just great, i hope i can treat her on my own. i'll make sure shes warm, is it okay to wipe her nose with a tissue?

Idril
12-10-05, 12:04 pm
It's probably okay to wipe her nose. She could be allergic to the newspaper or something. Maybe you should put her on a soft towel to keep her comfortable?

SleepyBirdy
12-10-05, 12:05 pm
okay will do, I'm going to check on her now, i'll be back on later

Ly&Pigs
12-10-05, 12:07 pm
A warning to those giving medical advice. DO NOT give medical advice if you are not sure in what you are saying or are quoting from an unreliable source as the one mentioned above. It's a big rule on this forum and can result in being banned. The wrong advice can potentially cause a pig to die and we don't want to see that happen. Idril, the site you referred to isn't a great site in my opinion as they say that 2 sq. ft per pig for housing is plenty and they say that guinea pigs get "common colds". Guinea pigs do not get colds, they get URI (Upper Respiratory Infections) and can get Pneumonia. If you want to refer to another site, please refer to www.guinealynx.info instead where the advice there is solid.

SleepyBirdy, take the pig to a cavy savvy vet as soon as you can. Present the bill to PetNotSoSmart and raise a big fuss until they pay it. That pig probably has a URI and needs antibiotics. Is she drinking and pooing ok? You said she isn't eating much, she may need supplemented with handfeedings. If you don't take her to the vet, there is a good chance she will die. URI's can be fatal.

Fluffball
12-10-05, 12:08 pm
Sounds like she could be getting an URI. This needs a treament of antibiotics and a vet visit. Some vets can let you pay off the visit so you dont have to pay too much in one go. A URI can be fatal. You cannot treat it yourself as you do not have the antibiotics or the experience needed.

I urge you to take her to the vet A.S.A.P explain your money problems and work something out.

Keep us updated on her condition.

Sorry Ly I was posting the same time as you!

SleepyBirdy
12-10-05, 05:56 pm
She seems a ton better now. I put a playpen around her cat carrier. i now keep the carrier open so she can run around. Shes eating more and drinking more. i think she'll be fine after all.

JennG
12-10-05, 06:01 pm
If she's still constantly sneezing and has a runny nose, you'll still want to get her to a vet. I understand that things are rough especially right now with the holidays but she could get worse and we don't want that to happen. I would also ask the vet about treating your other piggie too because she's already been exposed (right?). That way you could have both of them healthy. I'd also take the bill to Petsmart and have them reimburse you for the care. Good luck.

SleepyBirdy
12-10-05, 06:04 pm
I think Angel could of got it, she's been acting a little wierd. Oh this is just great, I can't have two sick piggies.

JennG
12-10-05, 06:07 pm
It's alright. Just give the vet a call on Monday and try to get at least the new one in. You may want to ask the vet if you need to bring Angel in but he may just give you meds for both girls. But ask. Make sure they're both eating and drinking ok. Just watch them, breathe and relax. It'll be ok. This is why the forum really stresses that people shouldn't buy from a petstore. We've all done it and have learned from our mistakes. What's done is done. Stay calm. Good luck.

Ly&Pigs
12-10-05, 06:31 pm
SleepyBirdy, I won't tell you again to stop with using bold in your posts. If I tell you again, you are getting week's ban.

If your pig is ill with a URI, waiting can mean that the pig will get even more sick and could die. Piggies are extremely good at hiding illnesses so getting them treated at the first signs of illness is very important.

aqh88
12-10-05, 08:03 pm
Guinea pigs very rarely recover from URIs on their own but they are great at hiding symptoms when they are sick. Sometimes the only clue you have is that they just aren't acting themselves and then a day or even less than 12hrs later they are near death. URIs can kill guinea pigs fairly quickly if not treated but at the same time they are extremely easy to treat. All they need is a little bactrim, baytril, or other guinea pig safe antibiotic from a vet and given by syringe twice a day. For the life of your guinea pig I highly suggest you take 1 or both to a guinea pig knowledgeable vet. Many common antibiotics are deadly for guinea pigs so try your best to find a vet specifically knowledgeable in guinea pigs. These links might also be helpful http://guinealynx.info/antibiotics.html
http://guinealynx.info/antibiotic_advice.html
http://guinealynx.info/dangerous_medications.html
You should weigh them on a scale(kitchen or postal scales work best) and consider handfeeding them if there is more than an oz or 2 of weight loss or for babies just not gaining weight can even be considered a sign of a major problem.

SleepyBirdy
12-11-05, 05:19 pm
Oh don't tell me what to do. Fine i'll obey your weird rules. Silkie is doing much much much better! I let her run around with Angel today, she had a blast. Shes not sneezing as much anymore.......very good really.

Idril
12-11-05, 06:06 pm
That's good! :)

JackSpicerRules
12-11-05, 06:12 pm
SleepyBirdy:

I know I am not a Mod or anything but on cavycages you have to obey the "weird" rules or I guess whatever the Mods/Admins tell you. That's the way it is. It's how this place runs.

My Sammy 2 had a cold after we changed from cedar to pine (Pleaseeee don't attack me on this, but we used cedar before we knew it was bad :() and she survived it. This was before I found cavycages, but just wanted to share :)

~Veronica~

JennG
12-11-05, 06:21 pm
Sleepybirdy-We're all here for the same reason and that's to better the lives of our piggies. And hopefully make a friend or two or twelve. Listen to what is being said to you. Alot of these guys have experienced what you're going through and know the best way to treat your piggies. And yes, we all have to follow the rules...even the mods. ;) Don't be offended but life has rules as does this forum.

Now enjoy your piggies and keep us posted. I really hope she's feeling better but I'd still call the vet to have her checked out. It's better to be safe than sorry. Good luck.

rabbitsncavyluv
12-11-05, 11:13 pm
You may want to learn about quarantine too, if you are going to be buying animals from pet stores: http://www.guinealynx.info/quarantine.html

Johanna
12-12-05, 12:48 am
If you take her to a vet I almost guarentee petsmart will pay for it. Talk to petsmart and tell them you cant make it to the store because you live so far away. Ask them if you can take it to your vet. If they say no, you can go corporate and ask a higher powered person from petsmart. If it is any thing like petco, they WILL pay. Our petco is required to take all sick animals to the vet. Petco has been known to allow people to take an animal to their vet when it was not possible to make it to petco. They will pay for it. You just have to talk to the right people.

SleepyBirdy
12-12-05, 10:35 am
Johanna thats a good idea. If it doesn't go away completly i'll take her and Angel to the vet. And I'll make sure PetsMart pays for it.

Ly&Pigs
12-12-05, 10:43 am
I am giving you these links to read. It seems that you aren't quite understanding the fact that if it's a URI, that it will not go away on its own.
http://guinealynx.info/uri.html
http://guinealynx.info/emergency.html

SleepyBirdy
12-14-05, 03:46 pm
Silkie is better, she sneezes ocassionally but not that much. She kept escaping from her "get well soon pen". I decided to go ahead and move her in with Angel. Angel and Silkie love each other, they chase each other around the cage alot, but no fighting so far.

Percy's Mom
12-14-05, 04:56 pm
How often are the occasional sneezes? A couple times a day, a couple times an hour, or every few minutes? If you hold Silkie up to your ear and listen to her breathe, does it sound clear, or does it sound a little congested. The way you were describing her symptoms in earlier posts, it really sounds like an Upper Respiratory Infection. Guinea pigs are pros at hiding symptoms. You should probably still get Silkie and Angel both checked out since you have them living together now.

SleepyBirdy
12-15-05, 07:21 pm
I heard my first guinea pig cough this morning. Silkie was coughing while stuffing her self with hay, I think it went down the wrong way. She only sneezes maybe once everyday, snot doesn't come out anymore. I did listen to her breathing, I've never heard it before! Its sooo different than Angels. It sounds like something batters everytime she breathes. I can't really explain it.

dagwellismypigy
12-15-05, 07:39 pm
You need to get to a vet. It sounds like she has a congested chest. She NEEDS medicine. Not the crappy petstore stuff. Not stuff from a bad vet. You need to get to an exotic vet and you need to own up and take care of your pig!