PDA

View Full Version : Connectors or Cable Ties?

Idril
12-10-05, 11:26 am
I'm going to an art store and a hardware store today, so I will most likely get the stuff I need. But I'm a bit reluctant about the connectors. They look kind of weak and look like they can come apart easily, like tinker toys or something. Are cable ties better? They seem to be, but do piggies chew on them?

BabyGrl
12-10-05, 11:32 am
I like cable ties much better. I originally had my cage done in connectors and they did not really fit right. I switched to cable ties and I love them. I think they hold much better. My pigs don't really chew on them but you will want to cut off the extra slack on the tie and I would recommend after cutting them to take the time to melt the cut end with a lighter because they are very sharp. I learned the lesson the hard way when I cleaned the cage the first time and scratched myself up pretty badly.

Idril
12-10-05, 11:37 am
Ouch...Thanks for the advice. I'll use cable ties =D

Fluffball
12-10-05, 11:40 am
I use both connectors and cable ties to add extra strength. I connect the grids with the connectors and then cable tie the grids together as well. I use about three on each side of the grid to make sure it wont fall apart.

Ly&Pigs
12-10-05, 12:51 pm
When I recently redid the girls cage, I used all cable ties and only used two connectors to reinforce the bottom of the 2x2 hayroom/hayloft.

cavy-cool-crazy
12-10-05, 02:21 pm
Personally I prefer cable ties. But then that could be because of the complexity of my cage.

skirbo
12-10-05, 03:05 pm
When I recently redid the girls cage, I used all cable ties and only used two connectors to reinforce the bottom of the 2x2 hayroom/hayloft.

Oooh, that's a good idea, I'll try that for my strictly cable tied second floor. I only used two connectors and over 150 cable ties! So I've got plenty of connectors lol.

The only connectors I have are on the front of the second level on two grids. The grids are cable tied together, and each end of the pair has a connector-that way I have a door that swings down.

Sarah

laura220
12-10-05, 03:32 pm
I was trying to choose which to use on the new cage. I was thinking only zip ties would be flimsy. Would they it be fine even though I don't have coroplast?

BabyGrl
12-10-05, 03:47 pm
Without the coroplast it probably would be kind of flimsy. What you could do is use the connectors on the corners to hold the rectangular shape and then zip ties for the rest. I have mine ziptied to the coroplast to help hold it in place.

Pigaroo Mama
12-10-05, 04:04 pm
I use both all the way around.
I tried with connectors only at first but there was no way I could make the 2nd level work- just kept falling apart. Cable ties only are kind of flimsy, but will work if you are only making 1 level.
The combo really works the best, cable ties to hold things together & connectors for stability.
Good luck.

aqh88
12-10-05, 04:23 pm
The connectors do make a sturdier cage because the cable ties allow the grids to bend and swing but I hate the connectors. They are hard to get on and they don't always stay on. I didn't use any connectors until I started stacking cags and needed a solid base to raise my 2x8 cage. I used the connectors and cable ties together to help keep the connectors on and keep the bottom from bending where the grids meet.

JennG
12-10-05, 05:47 pm
I used both connectors and cable/zip ties for my girls cage.

laura220
12-11-05, 03:10 am
I think I'll use both depending on the cage design. Right now I've got connectors mostly but a few zip ties here and there though parts of the loft keep popping out of the connectors.

Da_3_mad_pigs
12-11-05, 04:49 am
I use cable ties on my cage. they work brilliantly!

Lyndsay
12-11-05, 08:41 pm
Someone posted a few months back that they had problems without the connectors making the second level. Be advised that the cable ties will make it a little bit flimsy. I used connectors everywhere, and cable ties to re-enforce important parts of the structure. I used a hammer to make sure all the connectors were not comming apart. The connectors are made to stay together, and have things inside the slots to make sure the grids don't slip out.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y199/Lynd_zee/CnCcage/DSC01515.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y199/Lynd_zee/CnCcage/DSC01511.jpg

BabyGrl
12-12-05, 02:04 am
Lyndsay, your cage is very bright and pretty. I love it!!!!

Lyndsay
12-12-05, 08:17 am
lol Thanks! My boys love it too.