Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What works better?

missesd

Cavy Slave
Ok, well I think I have semi finished the "temporary" cage. It is actually working out quite well, and I don't feel the need to rush out and buy the metal grids.... especially for Christmas with 8 kids!! I do have a couple of questions though.... We put it on the tile in an alcove area off of the dining/pc area. They usually have fleece or an old blanket down and then I took the bottom to their old store-bought cage and put carefresh in it. Their Pigloo is on that and in the opposite corner is their food bowl with their pellets. Then across the way is one of those soft round cat beds, and that has all their hay in it. I was wondering if I should put the pigloo on the cat bed so it would be warmer? And then line the bottom of the old cage with their hay?? Which set up is better? I am not really sure what they would prefer, but I figured many here have probably experimented with the different arrangments.

Thanks for all your advice and help,
Lisa

P

piggy_papa

Make the enclosure floor as warm as possible, but putting hay down as bedding is very dangerous. The piggies will contaminate it with feces and urine. The mix of decaying hay, feces, and urine breeds mold and bacteria that can be deadly. Always keep hay clean and dry.

The best natural bedding is Aspen chips. Pine is second best and can be bought at Wal-Mart for $5 for 5 cubic feet. DO NOT USED CEDAR. Cedar has oils and vapors that are toxic.

I monitor my enclosure warmth with an indoor/outdoor thermometer. I attach the outdoor probe to the bottom of the cage and hang the thermometer as close to the bottom of the cage as I can. This way, I can see the air temperature and the surface temperature.

laura220

Cavy Slave
Pigs can snuggle in their hay well but they like to poo where their hay is too. Try out both combinations and just see which one you like better or switch back and forth every week.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.