Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Baby proofing C&c

PennyLane94

Cavy Slave
Ok so how do you baby proof a c&c cage? Would 6-12 inch high coroplast walls be enough? Or do I need to do something else? I’m going to have my 2 month old boy on one side of the cage and my pregnant female on the other side

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd do 12 inch walls -- he can easily get over a six inch one.

And you need a lid on the female cage. A determined male can push up the lid on this own cage and squeeze out, but he can't lift the lid on another cage. Closet shelving makes an awesome cage lid.

PennyLane94

Cavy Slave
I'd do 12 inch walls -- he can easily get over a six inch one.

And you need a lid on the female cage. A determined male can push up the lid on this own cage and squeeze out, but he can't lift the lid on another cage. Closet shelving makes an awesome cage lid.
Yeah I already planned on doing a lid on both so I should do 12 inches high of coroplast on both cages?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, just on the baby's side, unless the male takes up bar chewing. In that case, you might want to put some on his side.

PennyLane94

Cavy Slave
No, just on the baby's side, unless the male takes up bar chewing. In that case, you might want to put some on his side.
I wasn’t sure since he’s only about 2 months old

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If his head will fit through the holes in the grids, then yes, you need to babyproof his side as well. You can use cardboard if you don't have that much coroplast.

PennyLane94

Cavy Slave
If his head will fit through the holes in the grids, then yes, you need to babyproof his side as well. You can use cardboard if you don't have that much coroplast.
That’s the hard part I’m not sure if his head will fit through cause he’s still super skittish

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
Ok so how do you baby proof a c&c cage? Would 6-12 inch high coroplast walls be enough? Or do I need to do something else? I’m going to have my 2 month old boy on one side of the cage and my pregnant female on the other side

You can also zip tie extra grids around the cage to minimize the grid holes by doubling up the grids. Just zip tie the extra grids slightly to the left or right of the main grid, thereby making each grid hole half the size.

This allows for ventilation, you to see the pigs and easy to remove when the pigs are old enough.

Use the grids later to expand the cage or make a playpen for floor time.

PennyLane94

Cavy Slave
You can also zip tie extra grids around the cage to minimize the grid holes by doubling up the grids. Just zip tie the extra grids slightly to the left or right of the main grid, thereby making each grid hole half the size.

This allows for ventilation, you to see the pigs and easy to remove when the pigs are old enough.

Use the grids later to expand the cage or make a playpen for floor time.
Maybe I will just do that cause I got enough grids for a way bigger cage then I’m ending up building right now

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.