Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size C&C cage size

Thor and Moon

Cavy Slave
Hi! I was on the guinea pig cages store and they had a c&c cage on there that said it was a size small. It says it is 30" x 44" when assembled exterior and 27" x 41" interior. I have 2 male guinea pigs. Would this work for them? They were originally from Petco and were returned and then I adopted them. They came together so I assume their bonded correctly. They are currently in a kaytee cage ( that is what the pet store gave me ) and I know it's to small so I'm trying to upgrade. Basically my question is would this cage work for 2 male guinea pigs. Thanks

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The bare minimum for 2 boars is a 2 grid x 4 grid cage, more like a 2 grid x 5 grid. That equates to roughly 28 inches x 70 inches for a 2x5. Any smaller and you're risking grumpy piggies that don't have enough space. More space is ALWAYS better, especially where boars are concerned.

Thor and Moon

Cavy Slave
The bare minimum for 2 boars is a 2 grid x 4 grid cage, more like a 2 grid x 5 grid. That equates to roughly 28 inches x 70 inches for a 2x5. Any smaller and you're risking grumpy piggies that don't have enough space. More space is ALWAYS better, especially where boars are concerned.
Thanks for getting back with me so fast! Ok so I went back on the website and there is a cage that's interior
27" x 71"
Exterior 30" x 76"
Would this work? As far as the measurements you gave me do you mean exterior or interior? Also that cage on the guinea pig cages store is the XL 2x5 grids cage. This cage is $82.99 and I'm not sure if this includes shipping. Do you think it would be better as far as cost to make it myself? I'm a first time guinea pig owner so I have never made a c&c cage before but I could probably figure it out with YouTube I'm just not sure which one would be cheaper. Thanks

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm not a good role model for building a C & C cage, at least cost wise. They are VERY simple to build, and require just a few basic tools. You can build them more complicated if you wish, and there are not only tons of Youtube videos but also a lot of idea here on this forum. The XL 2X5 grid cage is the way I would advise you to go as a minimum for 2 boars.

I live in Canada, so the materials tend to be far costlier for us here. But just an as FYI, purchasing the cage from this site supports this site and the piggies that Teresa rescues.

Thor and Moon

Cavy Slave
I'm not a good role model for building a C & C cage, at least cost wise. They are VERY simple to build, and require just a few basic tools. You can build them more complicated if you wish, and there are not only tons of Youtube videos but also a lot of idea here on this forum. The XL 2X5 grid cage is the way I would advise you to go as a minimum for 2 boars.

I live in Canada, so the materials tend to be far costlier for us here. But just an as FYI, purchasing the cage from this site supports this site and the piggies that Teresa rescues.

Thor and Moon

Cavy Slave

I found a cage on eBay and it has 1518 square inches of floorspace. Would this work?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That would be 10.5 square feet, and that will work as a minimum yes.

Thor and Moon

Cavy Slave
I’m in Texas, USA and I made a 2x3 cage for around $50. They sell large coroplast sheets at Home Depot and the grids can be bought from Target or Walmart, or even Amazon. You have to made sure the grids have 9x9 squares though! The pack I bought had a few that were 8x8 and I’m unable to use those for where the coroplast is low and the pigs can see out.
I found a cage on eBay that has 1518 square inches of floor space. Would this work?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Maybe. It depends on the shape. If it's 1 inch x 1518 inches, then no ;) . But if it's a reasonable square or rectangle, say 2 feet x 5 feet, or about 3.5 feet square, then yes.

But it all needs to be on the same level. A LOT of cages advertised on eBay as being for guinea pigs are totally unsuitable for them. If you're looking at this one ((broken link removed)), it may or may not work for boars. The ramp is a good place for squabbles, and they're in very close proximity to each other on that second level. If they get along very well, it might work, but there's also a pretty strong possibility that it won't.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.