Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

timothy hay and allergies

Dory&Flo

Cavy Slave
I just switched to timothy hay a couple weeks ago ( I was using meadow mix), but I read on this forum that timothy was what they should be fed. However, unlike the meadow mix, I have become extremely allergic to the timothy hay ( coughing, sneezing, runny nose, hands, throat and ears itching and getting red). Is there any alternative to timothy hay, I have tried wearing one of those masks used for painting and it helps a little bit. Are there any brands of hay that have less dusty hay, or is it okay to feed them the meadow mix?(I don't want to deprive them of any nutrition). I am using Kaytee right now.

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
From what I gather by reading other threads, Orchard and Bluegrass are okay. I just ardered some from Oxbow, I'm hoping this will help out with my boyfriend's allergies. He's allergic to dust, the pigs, AND timothy, and I got them some timothy last week and he's developed a mild cough, and I told like the sound of it.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
The meadow mix should be fine. The only thing the hay HAS to be is a grass hay. Timothy, orchard, bluegrass, and a few others that I can't remember right now. Check out (broken link removed). Kleenmama has a bluegrass that my boys absolutely love. You might want to email her and see if there is a small amount or a sample size you could order to see how you do with bluegrass instead of timothy.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
So long as it isn't a legume hay(alfalfa or clover) or a grain hay(oat and barley straw) it's fine for guinea pigs to have in unlimited amounts. We feed kms bluegrass or oxbow orchardgrass because of timothy allergies. Oxbow orchardgrass tends to be a little dustier than kms bluegrass for those with dust allergies but on the other side the bluegrass is thicker blades with a stronger smell that can cause more problems for those with allergies specifically to hay and not dust. Both are still a huge improvement to using timothy.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
but I read on this forum that timothy was what they should be fed
Any good grass hay is fine to feed. It doesn't have to be timothy but it does need to be a grass hay.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.