PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated No Tunnel?

thistlewriter
04-06-19, 09:42 am
So a few months ago, I bought my boys a tunnel off of Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Living-World-Pet-Tunnel-Grey/dp/B006MOWXYO/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=guinea+pig+tunnel&qid=1554564951&s=gateway&sr=8-4). It's a Living World toy that was highly rated, and I thought the boys would like it. I sat by the cage and introduced it to them today. They both were intrigued. Unfortunately, Ziggy, the one who I haven't noticed as being a big chewer, kept trying to bite the tunnel and its velcro. I kept trying to tell him "no" and to discourage him, but he persisted so I had to take the tunnel out. I'm feeling a bit frustrated at the moment because I spent money on it and now can't use it.

Is there another way I could discourage Ziggy from biting it? Or is it ok for him to try to chew on it? I just don't want him to injure himself or his stomach by him biting something he's not supposed to.

spy9doc
04-06-19, 11:33 am
Is there another way I could discourage Ziggy from biting it?

I doubt it. Many cavies are obsessed with things non-edible such as the blue plastic on puppy pads, cardboard, paper, paper plates, coroplast, the stair tread material on ramps, etc.

With regard to the tunnel, are you referring to a tunnel with a velcroed cover? If so, perhaps you can use the base tunnel and cover it with something else. I have made all my tunnels with a bent grid and covering it with an extra-large book cover. My cavies have always loved their tunnels and it is easy to take the covers off to launder or replace them....and, they don't seem tempted to chew them after the initial taste.

85784 85786 85787

thistlewriter
04-06-19, 03:49 pm
I doubt it. Many cavies are obsessed with things non-edible such as the blue plastic on puppy pads, cardboard, paper, paper plates, coroplast, the stair tread material on ramps, etc.

With regard to the tunnel, are you referring to a tunnel with a velcroed cover? If so, perhaps you can use the base tunnel and cover it with something else. I have made all my tunnels with a bent grid and covering it with an extra-large book cover. My cavies have always loved their tunnels and it is easy to take the covers off to launder or replace them....and, they don't seem tempted to chew them after the initial taste.

85784 85786 85787

Unfortunately, that's not possible. The tunnel is like a big spring, and there's no way to take the polyester covering off unless I cut it off (which would probably ruin the tunnel anyway).

topaz259
04-07-19, 02:45 pm
My guinea pig chews on his all the time, I don't think it hurts them. He hasn't been able to chew through it, I think they do it because of curiosity.

Samuel65
04-08-19, 12:33 pm

85784 85786 85787

Looks interesting. Thank for the same DIY^^

spy9doc
04-08-19, 01:00 pm
Looks interesting. Thank for the same DIY^^

You're most welcome! There are some tips for bending a grid as I did....one of which is to place it in a low temp oven. If you're interested, feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to find the information in my files.