Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Minimum cage size

Johanna

Cavy Slave
I was just reading this magazine that I got a couple of years ago called 'Critters USA'.. It is a magazine that is put out yearly specifically for small animals. I was reading the guinea pig section and it recommends: "the cage be at least 12 by 18 inches for one guinea pig, and 14 by 24 inches for two". That means that one guinea pig can live in a cage that is equivalent to 1x1 grids.
It is interesting to know that the editor of this magazine is pictured with her two guinea pigs and seems to really love them. She says she has two large cages and a plastic swimming pool for them to play in. Maybe she forgot to read the section about cage size.

Gonzo

Cavy Slave
I think it's just that, over time, 'conventional wisdom' is giving way to reality. Believe me, I've had a rude awakening since I started reading these forums. The cages pet stores sell are horrible. And they are just selling what's available from manufacturers.

Manufacturers are probably still building cages from plans and equipment that's decades old. The problem goes down the line. But, the good news is, once people see how easy it is to build a real habitat, those companies will find their inventories aren't moving, and people are shifting to large cages.

Unfortunately, pet stores have a vested interest in making people believe that a cavy only needs a square foot of living space. If they told people up front that they needed 8 - 10 sq. ft., their sales would plummet... which would really be a good thing!

pink_cottonball

Cavy Slave
Yah,well at petsmart they had 4 piggies ina 1x1 cage with a pigloo in it! Some people need to surf the web I suppose. Next time I'm in there I should give them this site adress, wouldn't that be funny! lol You defidently need a larger cage than that! So, you already have piggies? What size cage for how many?;)

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
Last years Guinea Pigs magazine (written by the people who write Critters) had a article that mentioned C&C cages. Cavy Spirit is quoted through out it. But then they put quotes a person who claims to teach guinea pigs tricks in another article, saying smaller is better.

It must be very confusing for someone basing all thier care solely on that magazine.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.