PDA

View Full Version : Hello 😊 need ideas with long distance move advice!

Teamshaggy
03-30-19, 05:37 pm
Hi y'all 👋,just registered here. Have found many good things and ideas here. Shaggy 💗is my companion buddy. He was a rescue and was very bullied by his cage mate. We found a rescue for him. Shags has bonded with me, I love him a lot.
His vet was amazed at how much he reacts to me and is mellow!
Now we are moving to the South this June. We will be leaving in our SUV,with our grandkids,two dogs too. My fear is keeping him cool in very hot weather,and not losing him. I'm considering surrendering him. It's a tough choice. We have been trying to find an affordable RV. Nothing yet. What's the best way to keep water in bottles frozen,to keep in a carrier. I appreciate your time and feedback. Blessings 🙏.

bpatters
03-30-19, 08:11 pm
I assume your SUV is air conditioned? And that you're staying in motels at night? That's all he needs.

Teamshaggy
03-31-19, 11:29 am
I assume your SUV is air conditioned? And that you're staying in motels at night? That's all he needs.

Thanks for your response! Yes to the above, however it's not that simple. My sis will be doing all the driving, and we will have to make rest stops,for the pup's & all.
I can't leave shag in rig, so would have to take him w me. In these in between times.
I thought about keeping frozen bottles of water and battery operated mini fan,for those "out of the air conditioning time's.
Been researching how to keep the water frozen,dry ice has chemical aspects.
Also the " going from one temperature to another, transition".
Cheryl my sis,will be driving about 500 miles a day.
Going from Oregon to California then east.
Excuse me the 8 year old is having a meltdown over homework.😮📖🙏 Will be back...

bpatters
03-31-19, 11:41 am
Frozen water bottles will work, as would a battery operated fan. But I'd get a small carrier, use the frozen water bottle inside, and take him with me when the car is parked. Nothing will protect an animal inside a parked car in the summer sun. He can go in a larger carrier when the car is running.

Most motels will let you freeze water bottles overnight.

What state are you moving to?

Samuel65
04-08-19, 12:34 pm
Hi y'all ,just registered here. Have found many good things and ideas here. Shaggy is my companion buddy. He was a rescue and was very bullied by his cage mate. We found a rescue for him. Shags has bonded with me, I love him a lot.
His vet was amazed at how much he reacts to me and is mellow!
Now we are moving to the South this June. We will be leaving in our SUV,with our grandkids,two dogs too. My fear is keeping him cool in very hot weather,and not losing him. I'm considering surrendering him. It's a tough choice. We have been trying to find an affordable RV. Nothing yet. What's the best way to keep water in bottles frozen,to keep in a carrier. I appreciate your time and feedback. Blessings .

Sorry but this photo soo cuuuuuute^_^

Teamshaggy
04-08-19, 05:11 pm
Hi been meaning to get back here! We are moving to Bay St Louis Mississippi. We will be staying at a motel, looking for good area kids family. My sis is supportive in bringing Shaggy,and concern over "what if it's hot out while we look at the Grand canyon,or leaving him in motel, having to hid him from the maid. Will they rent to us with him? I'm worried about these things too. Still doing his cyst care everyday. I love him so much. In a motor home,it would solve so much of it. Thanks �� for your help and caring. I will be back!! ����

Candalalala
04-08-19, 06:32 pm
As far as the maid goes, just keep a “do not disturb” sign on the door at all times :)

Teamshaggy
04-13-19, 03:33 pm
Team Shaggy �� thanks y'all �� for your ideas and suggestions. We are doing a test run today. Seeing if we all can make it for 6 hours on road,rest stops etc. Glad our pic was enjoyable! Will update.

lunarminx
04-14-19, 11:31 am
Once you are done with the drive and at your new home, if you use ac, they should be fine. I would only worry if the house gets over 80 degrees. You can also take two cubes and bend, zip tie together to make a big flat top tunnel per pig, cover and lay frozen water bottles on them. The cool air will drop down on them and help a lot. 85818 You can also buy some 12x12 ceramic tiles for them to lay on.85819