PDA

View Full Version : They're pooping in their food!

Kriket
12-05-05, 08:40 am
:?: When the piggies had cheap food, never did I find a bean in them. Now that I go to the *ahem* trouble of getting them oxbow food, I find myself dumping out alot of it because they park their little butts over the food dish and let the beans fly! I'm glad they want to be potty trained, but can't the limit it to the actual potty?

falken
12-05-05, 09:09 am
Thats what mine do.I dont know why but i want to know to.

Da_3_mad_pigs
12-05-05, 09:12 am
Me to, I have just switched to plain pellets, and mine do exactly the same! Why oh why!

Sabriel
12-05-05, 09:23 am
Are you sure the beans aren't just being kicked in? My pigs haven't had anything but plain pellets ever and I know they love them, but I still find a bean or two in each dish everyday. No matter how high the dish is, beans find their way in there. I think they get kicked in when they do laps.

Kriket
12-05-05, 09:25 am
I don't know. They're so many of them, it's seriously like they park their little butts and just poop. It might be from kicking them in though, I'll try moving the food dishes to the upper level and seeing if that helps, since it's not really big enough to do laps up there. Yet.

Sabriel
12-05-05, 09:30 am
Try getting a food dish the mounts onto the side of the cage. That has helped with my worst offender: Kero the large and hyper.

My old timer Spinel can have his dish on the ground, so can Lina as she eats all of her pellets right quick. My sow pair has theirs mounted since they will kick in beans and they need a bigger dish (they have a J feeder) its wide enough that they can share.

laura220
12-05-05, 09:32 am
Wow, I've never found beans in Ginny's bowl and it's low sided.

Kriket
12-05-05, 09:32 am
That sounds like a good idea, it will give them more floor space in the cage at the very least, and keep me from picking beans out every. single. time. I go near the cage. I'm going to make a point of picking one of those up when I go out later to get them more hay.

Lacy&Buttercup
12-05-05, 09:53 am
When I switched to Oxbow last week, I did what Sabriel did. I bought a gravity bin feeder and mounted it on the side of the cage. With the cheap food, they pooped in it also. That is when they didn't turn their food bowl over. Now I don't have any problems.

Ly&Pigs
12-05-05, 11:01 am
Instead of dumping all the pellets out, just pick out the poos. It won't hurt them to eat the pellets after you have removed the poos as they eat their own ceceal poos. My girls leave poos in thier pellet dish often too.

Herbie Girl
12-05-05, 12:05 pm
Both my girls poo in their bowl too.:eye-poppi

Becky

Zeander
12-05-05, 01:15 pm
Kriket, the way you worded your post is just too funny and it created some hilarious mental images. Thank you :)

BTW- My girls do the same. I think they are just kicking it in.

Kriket
12-05-05, 01:44 pm
Kriket, the way you worded your post is just too funny and it created some hilarious mental images. Thank you :)

BTW- My girls do the same. I think they are just kicking it in.

Glad I could make you smile :)

Chloƫ-Jasmine
12-05-05, 04:34 pm
My little Star sits in the bowl just to poop. It's the only time she ever does near it. But I'm going to trick her, the bowl she likes to poop in, I'm going to just leave that one empty and fill another one. I don't think it's the pellets in my case, I think it's just the fact she has a little area where she can go.

fourbwabbys
12-05-05, 04:58 pm
My little Star sits in the bowl just to poop.

When Oreo was a baby he would sleep in his bowl. The other pigs woiuld nudge him out of the way to get to their pellets. He was an odd pig, but did the most adorable things.

The Magic Taco
12-05-05, 05:15 pm
I used to have one of those big shallow earthenware dishes and the pigs always sat in it to eat, but when I got them the smaller, deeper dishes, they were so dissappointed that they couldn't sit in it!
I find little poos in the bowls too, but I just pick them out.

Marlania
12-05-05, 06:18 pm
My girls poop in their bowls AND in their sleepy loft. I think they actually decided that the loft was the only place they were going to poop.