Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Noises while pooping

Divyansh

Cavy Gazer
My friend, Babulal, is making some sounds, particularly low wheeks and purrs while he is pooping... I also saw some white substance while he is urinating and I am not sure if it is normal or not... I have seen some other posts too regarding it and from now onwards I am giving him RO, UV water (water purifier water).
My main concern is the sounds he is making, he is doing so for the first time... I am very much worried...

PLEASE HELP

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
He needs to see a vet for an x-ray to see if he has bladder stones. A stone can fall into the urethra and block the flow of urine, causing a painful and expensive medical emergency.

The white stuff is calcium in the urine. If your water has high calcium, changing may help. Otherwise, not.

The calcium may occur because of the pig's particular physiological makeup, or because of the diet. Many pellets are way too high in calcium, and should be severely restricted. Other vegetables are very high in calcium and should be fed seldom or not at all. Some hays have too much calcium for adult pigs.

Exactly what does your pig get to eat?

Divyansh

Cavy Gazer
He needs to see a vet for an x-ray to see if he has bladder stones. A stone can fall into the urethra and block the flow of urine, causing a painful and expensive medical emergency.

The white stuff is calcium in the urine. If your water has high calcium, changing may help. Otherwise, not.

The calcium may occur because of the pig's particular physiological makeup, or because of the diet. Many pellets are way too high in calcium, and should be severely restricted. Other vegetables are very high in calcium and should be fed seldom or not at all. Some hays have too much calcium for adult pigs.

Exactly what does your pig get to eat?

I usually give him Versele Laga Crispy Muesli Guinea... https://www.amazon.in/dp/B001ILZEGA?ref=yo_pop_ma_share
Apart from this I give him cabbage, coriander(which he loves a lot), brown bread and bread( once, a small piece a day)
Sometimes- cucumber, apple, banana, beans...
Plus what should I tell to the vet.

Thank you very much for your quick response...

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The Versele Laga is a very poor food for a guinea pig. For starters, it has 1% calcium, which is more than twice as high as recommended (.4%). Guinea pigs should not eat nuts or seeds, because they have very small throats and can choke on anything hard. The colored bits are useless.

Pigs need a good quality timothy pellet with no additional nuts, seeds, or colored bits. Oxbow sells their products world-wide, so you should be able to get them.

He should NOT get bread -- he's a herbivore, and his diet should consist mainly of grasses. A good quality grass hay should make up at least 85% of his diet -- it's what keeps his teeth ground down and his gut moving properly. A good quality pellet will ensure enough vitamins and minerals, and the rest should be vegetables -- mainly leafy greens but NOT cabbage. Bell pepper (capsicum) is an excellent source of vitamin C, which he needs.

Coriander can cause excess urinary calcium in some pigs, although not in others. It's also very high in calcium, and should only be given in small amounts.

Here's some recommended reading for new pig owners: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners.

Divyansh

Cavy Gazer
Thank you very very very much...

Also could you please tell me what should I tell my vet about his condition ???

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You tell him what's wrong -- noises while pooping, lots of calcium in the urine.

Divyansh

Cavy Gazer
Ok... Also I am sorry to disturb you again...
But this time when he made that sound he didn't pooped rather he urinated...
Could it be better or worse...

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Get him to the vet. If a stone falls into the urethra, he can die a very painful death. Don't mess around with whether he makes the noise every time or not.

Divyansh

Cavy Gazer
Okay...
Thak you for your concern...

Divyansh

Cavy Gazer
Get him to the vet. If a stone falls into the urethra, he can die a very painful death. Don't mess around with whether he makes the noise every time or not.

Hello...
Yesterday I took him to the vet when they took an x-ray... Although they didn't told much about it but they gave 2 medicines: Cystone and meloxicam...

Yesterday he was feeling bit better but today when he pooped he not only made that sound but also his poop smelled bad also it was irregular in shape...
Doctor advised me to give him watery food such as cucumber, spinach, capsicum...

Please tell what should I do

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Bpatters has good advice, as usual! And the vet is right about watery foods to try and flush anything out.

What I read about Cystone is that it is an herbal remedy that reduces stones. One of the herbs is a diuretic so he will urinate more and remove whatever is causing him stress. You will want to make sure to keep him hydrated. Rinse the veggies in water and leave them wet. Or put water in a shallow dish and put the veggies in there so he gets more water when he eats.

The meloxicam is for pain, kind of like ibuprofen for people. I would imagine the medications are changing his digestion and that may be the change you see in his poop. If you use fleece bedding, it might be a good idea to use a dark color so you can see if he has sludge or anything suspicious when he urinates.

Divyansh

Cavy Gazer
Thank you very much...
I am using cotton cloth bedding instead is it okay ???

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
If you use fleece bedding, it might be a good idea to use a dark color so you can see if he has sludge or anything suspicious when he urinates.

I think you meant to say "use a light color ............"??

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Actually, a medium color works best, IMO. You can tell when it's wet, but the white sludge shows up on it as well as it does on a dark bedding.

Divyansh, cotton bedding is not good. It stays wet, the pigs' feet stay wet, and they can get bumblefoot. It also ravels, and they can eat enough to cause an intestinal blockage.

Divyansh

Cavy Gazer
So I should change it with fleece instead right ???

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I thought a dark color fleece would show crystals and sludge better. Once in a while I notice white powdery residue on the dark fleece that I use and I never find anything on the light fleece. But as I think about it, if there is any blood in the urine, a light color bedding would show that better than dark.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
But as I think about it, if there is any blood in the urine, a light color bedding would show that better than dark.

Blood is what I was thinking about......but blood can show up on just about any color if you know what you're looking for. I probably should have just stayed out of this one! :eek: So, medium it is.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes. Change your bedding to fleece, with a highly absorbent layer beneath. This will keep your pig as dry as possible. Make sure to wash your fleece in hot water to strip away any chemicals or anything that can prevent it from wicking.

And as has already been said, use a medium colour. One that you can preferably see blood, and/or white marks from sludge.

Divyansh

Cavy Gazer
Okay... I will make sure that each and everything is as it is required... Thank you very much

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Do keep us posted on how your little guy is doing!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.