Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Ringworm or Mites?

Jillianhoney

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone. I’ve had my 2 girls for a few weeks now. Yesterday I started to notice that my one piggy’s nose looked pinkish with tiny dark, crusty looking spots... now today I noticed my other piggy has some skin issues near her eye. I called the vet but can’t get in until Monday because the dr is on vacation. But in the meantime I’d appreciate any opinions about what you think this might be. Thank you!

Attachments

B681F75C-F89A-4D18-BA18-FD797C7CF1FD.jpg 08368D59-6565-42F5-A0EB-593148683640.jpg

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Looks like a fungal skin infection to me. Check out this link https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html

The one with it on the nose could be treated with an over the counter anti-fungal cream (see topical creams section of that link above for the types of creams to use), apply sparingly and rub in very well (q-tips are good for this) to avoid her being able to rub any off while grooming herself and accidentally ingesting any.

The other one will need to see a vet for a cream that is safe to use so close to the eye. Fungal infections can be stubborn, so it is important to keep applying treatment for a while after the patch looks better.

Bacterial skin infections also can look very similar to fungal skin infections, but you always treat for fungus first. This is because if you are wrong and treat for the wrong thing an antibiotic cream will make a fungal infection much worse, but anti-fungal creams will do nothing to a bacterial infection.

Keep in mind these kinds of skin infections are potentially contagious to humans, so make extra sure to wash your hands after handling them.

Jillianhoney

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much for the detailed response, I really appreciate it. I’ve been wearing gloves whenever I handle them or their fleece/hideous/toys/food bowls. I’ve read about applying anti fungal creams but was also worried about the eye area. Thank you so much again for your insight.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.