Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Australia Food (Brisbane)

The Magic Taco

Cavy Slave
Can anyone suggest a good feed for pigs? I've tried brands like Peter's and that Doctor Harry, but my pigs don't like either of them.

thecarerescue

Cavy Slave
I'd say mix your own, that Peter's brand is terrible. Jess (enchantingcavy) may be able to give you more information on good brands and stores to buy from in Brisbane.

Fluffball

Cavy Slave
Recently I have cut out pellets altogether because I cant find any brand that is benificial for them. I suppliment their diet with hay and veggies. Timothy hay in unlimited amounts that I buy from pets paradise, a bit expensive but it works out. They get veggies twice a day and seem to be doing much better then they were before no more problems with gas or bloat for one.

I also give them grass and forages from my garden, I think if I did find a good pellet brand I would use it. Pellets are not all together necessary for your cavies diet but are recommended. I just chose to cut them out until I can find a good brand.

enchantingcavy

Cavy Slave
UI don't buy from petstores or supermarkets the majority of feeds found in these places can lack in nutrients and also the longer they sit on the shelves the less overall nutrients they contain I guess. Yeah basically I'd personally never touch em I couldn't even name a " label " on the shelves.

Yeah I do that aswell...I mix my own.
I buy all my feeds at our local produce store and the freshness of the feed dosn't compare. Produce stores sell mixes and your getting quality, freshness, and value for your money as bizarrly their usually alot cheaper than store bought feeds. I do have feeds I'd recommend although they're probably not in line with forum guidelines as I feed a mix rather than pellots so I won't mention here.
One plain pellot mix I do add to my mix though is called mitavite " breeda " it's a horse pellot mix that I know alot of guinea owners use so it's safe for the pigs.

Alot of guinea owners try horse feeds theirs alot that are nice and high in protein you'd want to be looking for one with minimum 16% crude protein. Would also have to check to make sure all the ingredients are safe for the pigs. The feed labels usually tell you this...but yeah theyre are some nice horsefeeds out there that are fine for pigs and if in doubt the produce store owner at most stores is willing to help find the best they have for a small anima.

Some produce stores sell little made up bags of guinea feed with lucerne added and these are usually a couple of dollars so if it comes down to it another idea is to check these out. I know up here in QLD both Samford produce stores sell guinea mixes. I'm on the northside of brissy so don't know what the others sell...

*~jess~*

The Magic Taco

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much!
My pigs are very fussy and pick out things like the sorghum and those longer yellow seeds. I've been trying to find a feed that's healthy and my pigs will eat.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.