Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Ringworm

Mango44

Cavy Slave
Hi, I have 3 Female guinea pigs, 2 of them we recently got on Craigslist. After we got home we noticed dry skin on one of the ears. I started handling them with gloves and a gown. Unfortunately I took them to a vet that wasn’t very good, who diagnosed ringworm(without any testing). He told me not to worry about using gloves and had me use an over the counter antifungal cream on her ear but it soon spread to her eye and the other piggy. I took them to a different vet who prescribed intrafungol, antifungal bath and a daily cage cleaning process. It has been 2 weeks and they look really good with no visible sores. They have a recheck in a couple weeks and plan to be on intrafungol for another 2-4 weeks depending on what the vet thinks at their next appointment. I’m wondering if anybody has any suggestions about disinfecting carpet. I plan to build them a new C & C cage after they stop treatment and they will be moved to a different floor of the house. The vet recommended spraying our carpet with bleach but we don’t want to ruin it since it is a darker color. Any suggestions?

Ballet2vet

Cavy Slave
Hi, I have 3 Female guinea pigs, 2 of them we recently got on Craigslist. After we got home we noticed dry skin on one of the ears. I started handling them with gloves and a gown. Unfortunately I took them to a vet that wasn’t very good, who diagnosed ringworm(without any testing). He told me not to worry about using gloves and had me use an over the counter antifungal cream on her ear but it soon spread to her eye and the other piggy. I took them to a different vet who prescribed intrafungol, antifungal bath and a daily cage cleaning process. It has been 2 weeks and they look really good with no visible sores. They have a recheck in a couple weeks and plan to be on intrafungol for another 2-4 weeks depending on what the vet thinks at their next appointment. I’m wondering if anybody has any suggestions about disinfecting carpet. I plan to build them a new C & C cage after they stop treatment and they will be moved to a different floor of the house. The vet recommended spraying our carpet with bleach but we don’t want to ruin it since it is a darker color. Any suggestions?

I would suggest some Young Living products. They are natural and really work! Essential oils have worked really well for me, and they will not harm animals like other products will.

LunchBunchPiggi

Cavy Slave
You should look in to renting a carpet steamer do your first cleaning pass with 50/50 white vinegar and water, and then a second water only pass to be sure you have no lingering vinegar smell when it all dries.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.