Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What to put on top of the coroplast?

scottdw

Cavy Slave
I'm new to this forum, but our family has two girl piggies, and I've built a cage for them. They love it! They love to run around (chasing eachother).

One thing, though. I've been using an indoor/outdoor rug for the bottom of the cage,(over the coroplast) but it is difficult to clean. I always put their bedding material on top of the rug.

I want to put something over the coroplast that is washable, but durable. I don't like the idea of fleece because it get their hay tangled in it, among other things.

I was thinking of going to the fabric store and getting some soft blanket material.

Any ideas?

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Um...The soft blanket material is just like fleece. Wouldn't that get hay stuck in it too? I just use several layers of newspaper and then put the bedding on top. When it's time to clean, I just roll the paper up and bung it in the bin.

scottdw

Cavy Slave
Piglet said:
Um...The soft blanket material is just like fleece. Wouldn't that get hay stuck in it too? I just use several layers of newspaper and then put the bedding on top. When it's time to clean, I just roll the paper up and bung it in the bin.

The blanket material I was thinking of is more like what a quilt is made of, but rolling up newspapers seems easy enough!

Thanks for the tip!:)

Piglet

Cavy Slave
No problem - you *may* find that by using newspapers your cage will begin to smell faster. How regularly do you clean out the cage now?

You could also use puppy pads or thin vetbed.

scottdw

Cavy Slave
I clean it once per week. I usually do a spot-clean a couple of time/week.

Scott

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.