PDA

View Full Version : I Think I am Lossing Larry.....

ScottandDebbie
12-02-05, 06:30 pm
I have a called into our vet. Awaiting a return call.

Larry, appears to be dying. Doing everything I can for him right now.

Yesterday I noticed Larry's respirations was rather jerky. I listen to his lungs with my stereoscope and his lungs were clear. No drainage from his eyes or nose. Not impaction. Eating declined. And activity level was down.

This afternoon, the respirations are increasing more labored. Continues to have clear lungs. More lethargic than yesterday. He is not responding to normal cage stimuli. (Fizbit can come up to him and run off, and Larry, who normally would chase Fizbit, just lays with little movement.) -- He is eating a bit, but marked decreased appetite.

The symptoms are Almost a "ditto" of Smudge just before he passed away from old age. :weepy:

((((( I'll do *whatever* I can to help Larry. )))))

Larry could use some positive thoughts, and prayers coming his way.

I'll keep you posted. (Heart Break Here)

BabyGrl
12-02-05, 06:38 pm
I am so sorry. You guys are all in my prayers. I hope everything turns out ok.

Cavyslavesteph
12-02-05, 06:43 pm
That is so sad. I will definately be thinking about Larry. I know you will do everything you can for him, as I have seen your kindness and compassion in many other threads. I am so worried when it is time for my girls to cross the rainbow bridge. Best of luck.

cavypaulita
12-02-05, 06:48 pm
that's so sad :weepy:

I will keep Larry in my prayers...

please let us know how he is doing--

Pauli

suzilovespiggie
12-02-05, 07:02 pm
Oh, Debbie, I am so very sorry. Prayers and healing thoughts are going your way for Larry.

Tatalp
12-02-05, 07:32 pm
I'm extremely sorry. I hope that he's just feeling off, he could get better! Just the thought of one of my cavies dying makes me cry. It must be hard for you.

skirbo
12-02-05, 07:37 pm
I'm so sorry honey... you and he will be in my thoughts.

Sarah

LuvMyPiggers
12-02-05, 07:44 pm
Poor Poor Larry. :weepy:

I know how attached you are to your pigs, just like ever member of this forum (Maybe even more) and my heart breaks hearing this happening to you.

My heart is breaking for you and scott. :weepy:

LuvMyPiggers

Lacy&Buttercup
12-02-05, 07:47 pm
I am so sorry you're having to go through this. I'm praying for you guys. Hang in there.

Marlania
12-02-05, 07:48 pm
Poor Larry. Healing wishes coming your way.

Herbie Girl
12-02-05, 07:52 pm
I'm so sorry.... Well wishes from Texas.

Becky

JennG
12-02-05, 08:15 pm
Debbie-Here's hoping Larry pulls through. *postive vibes* being sent your way!! Keep us updated. I'm sure you're doing everything you can.

ScottandDebbie
12-02-05, 08:55 pm
Update...

The vet pretty much echoed what I already thought. Just to be on the safe side she went ahead and placed him on Baytil just in case there is a slight chance that he has an infection. However she thinks it is just age. She thinks Larry is older than 4 years.

All the vet had on hand was Baytil injectable, and I didn't want to *hurt* Larry with a needle if his diagnosis is simply old age. (I want him to be as comfortable as possible, no pain.) So I am giving him the injectable Baytil orally, mixed with Critical Care. It's kind of bitter, but I topped it off with a sprig of parsley to get the aftertaste out of his mouth.

I don't want to take Larry out of the cage and place him in the hospital cage. If he is dying of old age, I would rather he be with his cage buddies and not shoved off in some strange cage without his friends.

I hope to heaven I am making the right call on not isolating him.
I'll kick myself "Big Time" if all the boys get sick.

Larry isn't hiding in a corner. He is laying out in the middle of the cage just watching Oscar and Fizbit run around him.

He is still pooping, and peeing, but his sphincter (rectum) is loose and open. Lung sounds are still good, but breathing is really labored. And it is obvious that it's an effort for him to move much. He doesn't appear to be suffering though.

This is killing a part of me watching him.
Sometimes I wish I didn't have such a tender heart.

Thank you for all the kind support. It really helps.

creamsicle
12-02-05, 09:03 pm
Get Well Soon, Larry!

Ly&Pigs
12-02-05, 09:06 pm
Give him lots of love and extra attention. I know it's hard to deal with but maybe he will make a recovery and be his old self again soon. If not, then know you have given him a great life and a great home. I wouldn't separate either. Let him be with his buddies.

nonamian_girl
12-02-05, 09:44 pm
I'm so sorry to hear about your pig; I had my pig Punker pass away last Christmas. He was almost 6, and also had symptoms of laboured breathing.

I'm really sorry to hear that you might be losing him, but consider it a comfort knowing that it's coming; being with him to the end will be a wonderful thing for the both of you. I knew Punker was dying and really wanted to be with him, but unfortunately I was away on the day it happened, and I really, really regret it, because I would have loved to be there.

I'm sure you gave Larry a wonderful life and being there will ease the transition for both of you. You've done all you can for him and all you can do now is help him with the final step. I hope this helps.

JennG
12-02-05, 10:04 pm
I agree with Ly. If it is old age, I'm sure he's more comfortable being with his friends. Know that you have shown him so much love since you've had him. I'm praying he makes a full and quick recovery. God be with you, Debbie.

Jenn

The Magic Taco
12-02-05, 10:08 pm
Good luck Larry. Give him lots of hugs for me.
Well, if it's old age, you can be happy to know that he has lived a long life, so you must have given him lots of care.

daftscotslass
12-03-05, 03:18 am
Thinking of you. I hope he does recover, but all you can do is hold him and keep him warm and comfortable.

iLoveDusty
12-03-05, 06:42 am
Best Wishe to you and Larry. I hope he feels better.

At least you gave him the best life he could have, with a loving owner asnd some piggie friends.

JennG
12-03-05, 08:31 am
So, how is he doing today? I'm hoping for good news.

pink_cottonball
12-03-05, 08:52 am
Praying for you! ((((smiles)))))) positive vibes from me too. So sorry,there's a reason for everything,it could be worse,sorry.
*pink* SMILE :cheerful:

ScottandDebbie
12-03-05, 02:55 pm
Our Precious, Precious little Larry just died.
(God I can't stop crying.) :weepy:
I'll post later... Just can't talk about it right now. Sorry.

http://lumry.com/images/fatboy.gif

JackSpicerRules
12-03-05, 03:02 pm
...I'm crying with you... I'm so sorry he passed away. At least he died knowing he had a great life and a wonderful owner. *Hugs* I know it's hard to let go.

~Veronica~

skirbo
12-03-05, 03:04 pm
I'm so sorry. He knew he was loved right up until the end of his life. He will be with you always.

Sarah

Fluffball
12-03-05, 03:05 pm
Debbie... im lost for words... I am so terribly sorry about Larry (((((huggsss))).

He would of had a wonderful fulfilling life with you, and I know that you would of given him lots of love, and him given you just the same in return. Ive been fortunate never to loose a piggie... I dread the day of losing one of them it would make my heart break in two. I cannot imagine what you are going though right now, I only offer my comfort and support, and know im here for you.

Rest in peace Larry....

JennG
12-03-05, 03:28 pm
:hug: I'm so, so sorry that Larry didn't make it. At least he's not suffering now. You did everything you could. Please know that you'll both be in my thoughts. RIP-Larry

falken
12-03-05, 03:38 pm
im new but i fell so so sorry for you and your other guinea friends:ashamed:

fourbwabbys
12-03-05, 04:01 pm
I am so sorry. You gave him the best life possible. You are in my thoughts.

Marlania
12-03-05, 04:06 pm
:weepy: I'm so sorry. Run free, Larry. *hugs*

The Magic Taco
12-03-05, 04:23 pm
Rest in Peace Larry
Loved and loving piggy.

:love:

I'm so sorry, Debbie. Poor Larry was so beautiful. I know you loved him so much. You and his friends will miss him.

Slap Maxwell
12-03-05, 04:30 pm
Oh Debbie, I know how hard it is to nurse a sick pig. I know you did the best you can for him. I am so sorry.

Herbie Girl
12-03-05, 05:03 pm
So sorry for your loss. ((((((HUGS)))))

Becky

Ly&Pigs
12-03-05, 05:15 pm
I am so sorry Debbie. I know you must be devastated. I'm here if you need me.

♥pepsi♥
12-03-05, 06:13 pm
poor thing.

it might just be a cold. :(
4 years! thats young. my friend has a 11 yr pig.
i think leave him wih his cage mates. if its old age theirs noting we can do.
it might be a respoary infection :(

get well soon larry ♥

♥pepsi♥
12-03-05, 06:14 pm
SORRY :weepy:
poor larry.

he had a good life though. dont feel to bad deb

BabyGrl
12-03-05, 07:16 pm
I am so sorry for your loss. I am glad that Larry had a great life given to him by you and that he was able to go surrounded by your love.

Tatalp
12-03-05, 08:19 pm
I'm so sorry for your loss. If I may use some of your pictures of him, I could make him a memorial picture.

guineapiglvr14
12-03-05, 08:44 pm
I am very sorry for your loss, he looked very precious.

homeschoolmama
12-03-05, 09:16 pm
Oh Debbie, I am so terribly terribly sorry! Words cannot express. (sending cyber hugs!) We'll be saying a small prayer for your family tonight, for comfort.

ALIUUPE
12-03-05, 10:24 pm
Your in my thoughts and prayers Larry.....

Lacy&Buttercup
12-03-05, 10:41 pm
I am so sorry. Larry passed away with love and comfort. He knew he was loved. Your family is in my prayers. :weepy:

ScottandDebbie
12-04-05, 01:22 am
You are ((( beautiful people ))) , who truly reach out when another is broken.
Saying Thank You for your support is too simple.

Remembering Our Larry aka Cream Puff.

Larry was old when we got him from Teresa at CavyCage Rescue. I ask to have the one pig that no one else wanted. Leah mentioned a little guy named Oscar, but she said that Oscar had a cage buddy, and they didn't want to separate them. Both of the boys had been at the shelter for some time. Larry, having white fur and, red eyes, just didn't appeal to the prospective adopters. Plus, Larry was old. Just hearing those words caused both Scott and I want to take Larry, and give him and Oscar the very best home that we could.

It was obvious that Larry had a rough life before making his way to CavyCage. His little ears were torn badly in several places, where he apparently he had been in some pretty nasty fights. And when we first held him at Teresa's house his whole body shook.

We took Larry and Oscar into our family, not to bring us happiness, but to give to both those little guys happiness, comfort, and a ton of love.

I can honesty say that our heart's opened wide with love for our precious little Larry. And his remaining days in his new home were days of plenty of vegs, fruit, hay, comfy bedding, and lots to attention, and tons of love. He had everything a cavy could possible want, and even more so. He found a home, and he would *Never* be given away again. He would never be a disposable pet again.

It was our hope that Larry would be with us a *long* time, so that we could help make up for the rough times that he had before coming to us.

Our time with Larry was far too short. And that is what saddens me the most.

Larry had the cutest little personality, and he was the fattest little piggy we had ever held . Scott got the biggest "kick" out of Larry and all the funny little things that he would do.

This morning I gave Larry his medication, and a syringe of Critial Care. Larry was having a difficult time breathing, but his lungs remained clear. Larry was struggling with the syringe, and I could see this was draining his strength. I pressed on and gave him the Critical Care with the medication, but I was feeling I was doing his a disservice. I place the little guy back into his cage with Oscar and Fizbit. Every 10 or 15 minutes I would peek in to see how he was doing. The last time I looked in, before he died, both Oscar and Fizbit were laying close beside him. Something that they had never done before.

It crushed my heart to hold Larry's lifeless little body in my hands. The tears just poured from my eyes.

Scott went to Home Depot and purchase a beautiful large ceramic glazed pot. We buried Larry in that pot, and planted a beautiful azalea topiary in with Larry. He has been laid to rest now. And I hope that wherever Larry is at now, that he is at peace and is happy.

Seems like I still cannot stop crying. He found a "very soft" spot in my heart.
There will *never* be another little guy like Larry. He was one of a kind.

Thanks for letting me write from my heart.
And Thanks for all the kindness. This group is amazing.

Pinny Gigs
12-04-05, 03:58 am
I have tears streaming down my face, I'm so sorry for your loss. You were obviously the best slaves little (or not so little!) Larry could have asked for. He knew you loved him and I'm sure right now he is skipping round a parsley field with lots of piggy friends.

My thoughts are with the both of you xxx

BabyGrl
12-04-05, 07:40 am
Debbie, Thank you for the card. I think it is so beautiful how you laid him to rest.

cavypaulita
12-04-05, 08:33 am
I am so so sorry...

I'm crying with you...
Larry had all the love with you and I'm glad that you made up for his lack of love at the first stages of his life and gave him so much.
I'm truly sorry.

((((Larry))))))

all my support,
Pauli

pink_cottonball
12-04-05, 08:55 am
I''m going to tell you waht I told Missesd on her thread, but in a different way. Don;t keep your feelings bottled up, let it out. you'll feel much lighter, if you know what I mean.I'm really sorry about all of this, just remember God has a reason for everything. Maybe if Larry hadn't died like this he would have died in a more excrutiating way for you and him. He could have got eaten by something else,or something even worse. Just be grateful that he died this way not in a much worse way. . Have a cup of water or cofee and be grateful for what time you had with Larry and that you still have the other piggers. . Some piggy wisdom, when I held my pigs, the first few times I was nervous that they were going to bite me or run away, my mom told me that they could sesnse when I was nervous or worried. It was true because when i was nervous they would get extremely squirmy. Once i calmed down,instead of running they now crawle on me and lookd everywhere. What's this got to do with you? Well, they can sense that your sad, whatever else your feeling. This will make them feel insecure. you need to be strong for them. It's not your fault,there is a very good reason behind it which we are not meant to know. THere is nothing wrong with feeling sad, but put it behind you and start fresh, when your ready. SMILE :) ALso, don't keep it bottled up, go talk to someone,maybe even your other pigs and explian how you feel. I know it soundds stupid but just let it all out. We're all here for you! He's a piggy angel now. :angel: Sorry that you had to go through this.
*praying for you,pink*:cheerful:

pink_cottonball
12-04-05, 09:03 am
I just read your long last post! I'm sorry, now I literally do have tears in my eyes which is unusuall becasue i rarely cry about other peoples losses, i guess you could say i'm not usually very phsically emotional, however this is a first. I 'm really osrry Deb. I know how you feel. When oscar and FIzbit layed beside him that was the sweetest thing i have ever heard. You have raised threebeatuiful pigs and very caring ones indeed. So sorry, just really think about what i said in my above post. I really meant it. No in a harsh way,but a loving way. Be sad, but continue on when you are rady . No body expects anyone to just continue life raihgt away. THere is a certain period of time where one is expceted to be sad, then when theya re readdy they move on in lpoving memory.
*tearfully praying for you, pink*

falken
12-04-05, 09:05 am
Hey, thanks for the card. It was nice. Also, I know how you feel, but what about your guinea pig friends. Are they okay?:sorry:

ScottandDebbie
12-04-05, 09:22 am
Hi pink_cottonball,

Thank you for the beautiful post.

You know what it is like when you cried for most of a day, and then go to sleep at night only to wake up to such swollen eyes that even cucumbers will not reduce the swelling?

Both Scott and I knew that we were not going to have Larry very long. (We were just hoping that he would be with us a little longer.) Yes... what you say in your post was so right.

From your post
<< Maybe if Larry hadn't died like this he would have died in a more excrutiating way for you and him.>>

If he suffered, it was very little. I am so thankful that he didn't hang around in limbo, if the outcome was that he just *needed* to go on.

We miss him, but we were very blessed to have been allowed to have Larry touch our lives.

Thanks for the post. ((( Hugs )))

falken
12-04-05, 09:25 am
Hi pink_cottonball,

Thank you for the beautiful post.

You know what it is like when you cried for most of a day, and then go to sleep at night only to wake up to such swollen eyes that even cucumbers will not reduce the swelling?

Both Scott and I knew that we were not going to have Larry very long. (We were just hoping that he would be with us a little longer.) Yes... what you say in your post was so right.

From your post
<< Maybe if Larry hadn't died like this he would have died in a more excrutiating way for you and him.>>

If he suffered, it was very little. I am so thankful that he didn't hang around in limbo, if the outcome was that he just *needed* to go on.

We miss him, but we were very blessed to have been allowed to have Larry touch our lives.

Thanks for the post. ((( Hugs )))
What about your other piggys?Are they okay.

ScottandDebbie
12-04-05, 09:26 am
what about your guinea pig friends. Are they okay?:sorry: Thanks for asking. Fizbit is doing fine. It is Oscar that I am a bit concerned about. He keeps hanging out at the front edge of the cage. I think he is looking for Larry to return. Larry and Oscar were cage buddies a Teresa's rescue shelter, Cavy Spirit. We have been giving Oscar lots of attention. And I moved the items around in the cage so to distract him a bit.

falken
12-04-05, 09:33 am
Thanks for asking. Fizbit is doing fine. It is Oscar that I am a bit concerned about. He keeps hanging out at the front edge of the cage. I think he is looking for Larry to return. Larry and Oscar were cage buddies a Teresa's rescue shelter, Cavy Spirit. We have been giving Oscar lots of attention. And I moved the items around in the cage so to distract him a bit.
poor piggy
are you thinking of geting another or can you not replace larry

Herbie Girl
12-04-05, 09:53 am
I loved the card!! Thank you!!:)

Becky

daftscotslass
12-04-05, 10:03 am
I'm so sorry for your loss. From the look of your pics you will have some wonderful memories of him for the future.

ScottandDebbie
12-04-05, 10:20 am
poor piggy
are you thinking of geting another or can you not replace larry

Oscar does have Fizbit for a cage buddy. I think Oscar is just missing Larry right now. Hopefully he will better with time.

enchantingcavy
12-04-05, 10:39 am
Hi Scott and Deb,

So so sorry you lost Larry. Out of his entire life I reckon he knew in his heart that he could not have found a more loving/special family and a more wonderful place to end his journey. You gave him what he needed and had been looking for for so long and that's what matters most:optimist: . You and the rescue gave him his soul back...

Yuh you got me crying in your post aswell. When I read how the other two were lying next to him...something they'd never done...I've had that happen before aswell and it shows a part of piggies that still so many don't believe they have. They do have feelings and they do pick up on everything that's happening around them. Especially with their own mates. I'm glad Larry had his friends close by him and that he wasn't on his own you did the right thing leaving him with his friends.

With Oscar I'm not quite sure what could help him get through it...maybe lots of his fav foods, extra attention maybe taking him away out of the cage for some floor or outside play time to take his mind off where it all happened...do you think maybe a new friend would be a good introduction or maybe to soon for you and the pigs?

(((hugs)))
*~jess!~*

daftscotslass
12-04-05, 11:00 am
Oscar does have Fizbit for a cage buddy. I think Oscar is just missing Larry right now. Hopefully he will better with time.

Lovely avatar, Debbie. It is hard for a piggy to lose a beloved cagemate. My Bonnie would know how your Oscar feels. She has been so much more spritely since we adopted Bramble. You can never ever replace a pig, but hopefully another fur baby will have a place in your heart some time in the future.

WendyK
12-04-05, 11:04 am
You're post about losing Larry is very very moving -the information about your other two guinea pigs lying next to Larry as he passed on is remarkable and I think that these kinds of experiences help to honor the life of a wonderful pet, even in death. I had a single lovebird for about 12 years - one morning she did not look herself - I went to work but made an appointment to go to the vet right after work - when I got home she was sitting on the bottom of her cage - I took her out and held her in both my hands - told her that I loved her and then she took her last breath and then she died - right in my hands - almost as if she waited to say good-bye. I have had several pets over the years die - most recently one of my guinea pigs - I didn't even post about him because it just felt so sad and I just had no words . . . the picture of Larry is very beautiful but your words about him are even more beautiful - I admire you for being able to write about this sad time and your willingness to share your feelings - it helps everyone to reflect on life and love.

ScottandDebbie
12-04-05, 11:22 am
Ah Wendy,

I am so sorry about the recent loss of your sweet little cavy. I know, it's really difficult to even post about it, huh? When I was posting yesterday tears were blurring my vision so that couldn't even see the screen.

I love birds as well. I had a beautiful cockatoo. So sorry about your bird. I am glad that you were given the chance to say a final good-bye.

Hugs to you Wendy.

ScottandDebbie
12-04-05, 11:30 am
I'm glad Larry had his friends close by him and that he wasn't on his own you did the right thing leaving him with his friends.

Fizbit and Oscar did something for Larry at the end that I could never do for him. I too am glad that I didn't take him out of the cage. He died with his buddies beside him.

With Oscar I'm not quite sure what could help him get through it...maybe lots of his fav foods, extra attention maybe taking him away out of the cage for some floor or outside play time to take his mind off where it all happened...do you think maybe a new friend would be a good introduction or maybe to soon for you and the pigs?

Jess, I am kind of stumped on this one. I am giving little Oscar lots of attention, and distractions. He still returns to the front of the cage, as if he is looking for Larry. It's only been a day though. He is eating well, so I am not awfully concerned right now.

cavy-cool-crazy
12-04-05, 11:33 am
I am so sorry Debbie. You must be so devastated. I'm sure dear little Larry is running around popcorning in eternal lettuce, cilantro, parsley and carrot fields, thinking of the fantastic life you gave him. He may not have been with you long, but you changed his life so much and he will always, always be grateful to you for that. His body may have been taken, but his spirit will always remain.

Take care Debbie. Hugs from me and wheeks from the gang.

maudeandbessie
12-04-05, 12:18 pm
So, so sorry for your loss, Deb. Larry was a beautiful little ruby-eyed piggy and you gave him a wonderful home. I'm sure Oscar and Fizbit will console each other -- and probably console you a little, too!

nismosmama
12-04-05, 12:37 pm
I'm so so very sorry for your loss :(, I'm so happy Larry had such a wonderful and loving family to end his days with, rest in peace Larry...

creamsicle
12-04-05, 01:07 pm
I'm truly sorry. I know what you are feeling. I'll keep you in my prayers. I know Larry had the best family he could ask for. Larry is missing you and is in a better place. Larry, rest in peace, the best piggie a family could ask for.
*tears and hugs*
Jen,The Critters-Creamsicle, and Little Bun.

JennG
12-04-05, 01:22 pm
I just read your post on the events and I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes. I'm just glad he was in such great company. I'm sure it made it easier on him to be so loved. He's now crossed over the rainbow bridge and is a happy & healthy piggie who will never again see such hardships that he experience before coming into your lovely home.

I've only lost one piggie. Snowball gave birth to Honey but Honey did not make it. I can't even imagine what it will be like when one of my girls passes on. But I know I can turn to you all to get through it. And Debbie I'm sure you've learned this as anyone else who's lost not only a piggie but a beloved pet.

Here's hugs for you, and Oscar & Fizbit. I'm sure with each passing day the pain will lesson.

ScottandDebbie
12-05-05, 10:25 am
Oscar and Larry were cage buddies at Cavy Spirit. We adopted them both, so not to separate the little guys. Now that Larry is gone.. Oscar appears to be mourning his separation from Larry. He is now... all but living at the front center of the cage, with his nose near the grids. I think he is looking for Larry. -- Normally Oscar would be tootling around the cage, or snoozing in a pigloo.

He's appetite appears to be less. Well, it's obvious that he is not eating with as much gusto as he did with Larry in the cage. That might be because he felt that he had to hurry up and eat as much as he could otherwise Larry would shovel all the food down. Who Knows?

I am just worried about Oscar now.

I have been taking him out of the cage with Fizbit for runs on the bathroom floor. Ah, heck, I have done about everything I can think of to try to get Oscar away from that front area.

Any advise for me? Worried Here! :confused:

Percy's Mom
12-05-05, 10:37 am
With the bits I know about Larry and the precious pigtures you've posted, I'm truly devestated at your loss. I know you did all you could do for him in his final days, and I echo what others have said about you making the best decision to leave him with Oscar and Fizbit. It may take Oscar a few days of grieving, but I'm sure he'll be back to his old self quickly. I wouldn't worry too much right now.

Hugs and warm thoughts to you, Scott, Oscar, and Fizbit from Percy, Caramel, and me.

ScottandDebbie
12-05-05, 10:44 am
I have never had to deal with a grieving guinea pig before. I have not a clue of how long they "normally" grieve, or what *more* I can do for Oscar.

I am indeed hoping that Oscar will be showing more of his old self in a few days.

Thank for your support.

CavySpirit
12-05-05, 11:05 am
Hi Scott and Debbie,

I'm very sorry for you loss of Larry. As you know you are special people, one of the very rare breed that comes here and asks for our most unadoptable.

They are never here long enough. I do believe Oscar is in mourning. I also believe he knows that his pal is gone. Time heals all wounds, even for animals.

I would just keep doing what you are doing. You may consider adding a new younger pig at some point. But wait and see how the two fair after Oscar has some more time.

Thank you again for providing such a wonderful home to some very deserving pigs.

Take care,
Teresa

ScottandDebbie
12-06-05, 10:23 am
A distraction for Oscar.

I added some colorful, bright, primary color kitty tunnels in the cage, and this seems to have sparked an interested with Oscar. When he walk in the tunnels his feet makes an interesting sound to him, so he feels the need to walk in and out.

At least he is not sitting up at the front of the cage mourning for Larry.
Hope he is over the worse.

Percy's Mom
12-06-05, 10:33 am
That's really very cute. I can almost hear the wheels in Oscar's head turning when he steps down and hears a sound. "Hmmm...that was cool. I wonder what happens if I keep going back and forth?" :D

ScottandDebbie
12-09-05, 04:13 pm
Update on Oscar and Fizbit since Larry's death....

(Thank you Ms. E for asking about the boys.)

As I am writing the boys are doing their ritual rumble strutting. Oscar is back to being his old self. He has now decided that it is actually fun to go up and down the ramps, but still will not go onto the second floor. Since Larry's death Fizbit has been sticking close to Oscar. The boys seem to get along well. No fighting at all.

Both are eating well. I put down towels over their CareFresh so I could keep an eye on "the Poops", just to make certain that no one was ill. Everything is good in our pigville. We certainly miss little Larry though. He was the sweetest little guy. I still tear up when I think of the little man.

I'll post a picture of his memorial pot/ plant soon.

Percy's Mom
12-09-05, 04:20 pm
*HUGS* again to all of you.
I'm so very glad to hear that everyone is adjusting well. I know it's been a hard road to travel, and Larry will always be a treasured member of the family, but your obvious love for the other 2 boys definitely seems to have pulled them through.

Memorial plants are a big hit in my family too. The two best growing trees in our yard were planted in memorial of two of my grandparents that passed away.

homeschoolmama
12-09-05, 04:38 pm
Ohh, I am so glad little Oscar is perking up a bit! I can't imagine what it must have been like, with the poor little guy moping around while everyone else is still grieving too.

I've never heard of a memorial plant. Memorial trees, but never a smaller plant. It sounds like a wonderful idea though :)

Pigaroo Mama
12-09-05, 05:00 pm
I really like the whole memorial plant idea.
When we lost one of our beloved Scotties years ago, my mother planted a climbing rose bush over his grave. You have never seen such beautiful roses. It always made me feel better knowing that our baby helped those roses look so beautiful & that he was somehow a part of them.

When we lost our last pigger, we burried her in the yard. This may sound wierd, but I almost want to dig her up & put her in a nice pot with a plant now. That way, when we move, I can take her with me & not feel like I am leaving her behind.