Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Vegetarian School Unit

Lyndsay

Cavy Slave
We are covering Vegetarianism in Foods class, and my teacher was telling us about the 4 different types. I thought now though that there was an even stricker type of Vegetarian, where they didn't use anything that came from an aminal in the house hold either? Am I mistaken? If not then what would that group be classified under?

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
That would be classified as a vegan. Someone who does not eat any products that come from an animal- no meat, dairy, geletin, or any of that.

Lyndsay

Cavy Slave
Ok I worded it confusingly then, I was told that people have taken it to the point that house hold items, not food items that contain animal products will not be used.

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
Actually there are alot of people who also do this. For example people who won't wear fur or leather. I think that is more common than people who are vegans, although, Iwould think it would be fair to say that a majority of people who are vegans also do not have or use anything that contains animal products.

Lyndsay

Cavy Slave
Alright, thanks, I was just kinda curious as to if, there was an extreme vegan. Thanks for your help.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Vegans are classified as not only not eating meat, dairy, egg products, etc., but not wearing leather, wool, down, or anything that has come from an animal. Nor do they use any animal tested products. They also do not eat honey.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
Nor do vegans use beeswax (used in many cosmetics and candles).

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
Thanks for clarifying...I am new to this whole vegetarian thing. =)

homeschoolmama

Cavy Slave
No wool? Is it to keep the sheep from being farmed in unsuitable conditions? I hadn't heard that one before. Gosh!

Greenwalker

Cavy Slave
This is why some people don't use wool. I got this from PETA. Go to (broken link removed) to read the rest for yourself.

Many people believe that shearing sheep helps animals who might otherwise be burdened with too much wool. But without human interference, sheep grow just enough wool to protect themselves from temperature extremes. The fleece provides effective insulation against both cold and heat. Wool was once obtained by plucking it from the sheep during molting seasons. Breeding for continuous fleece growth began after the invention of shears.1

Wool-Producing Countries Abuse Sheep
With about 100 million sheep, Australia produces 30 percent of all wool used worldwide.2 Flocks usually consist of thousands of sheep, making individual attention to their needs impossible.

In Australia, the most commonly raised sheep are Merinos, specifically bred to have wrinkly skin, which means more wool per animal. This unnatural overload of wool causes animals to die of heat exhaustion during hot months, and the wrinkles also collect urine and moisture. Attracted to the moisture, flies lay eggs in the folds of skin, and the hatched maggots can eat the sheep alive. To prevent “flystrike,” Australian ranchers perform a barbaric operation—mulesing—or carving huge strips of flesh off the backs of unanesthetized lambs’ legs and around their tails. This is done to cause smooth, scarred skin that won’t harbor fly eggs, yet the bloody wounds often get flystrike before they heal.3

Within weeks of birth, lambs’ ears are hole-punched, their tails are chopped off, and the males are castrated without anesthetics. Male lambs are castrated when between 2 and 8 weeks old, with a rubber ring used to cut off blood supply—one of the most painful methods of castration possible.4 Every year, hundreds of lambs die before the age of 8 weeks from exposure or starvation, and mature sheep die every year from disease, lack of shelter, and neglect.5 Faced with so much death and disease, the rational solution would be to reduce the number of sheep so as to maintain them decently. Instead, sheep are bred to bear more lambs to offset the deaths.

Shearing Is Painful
Sheep are sheared each spring, after lambing, just before some breeds would naturally shed their winter coats. Timing is considered critical: Shearing too late means loss of wool. In the rush, many sheep die from exposure after premature shearing.

Shearers are usually paid by volume, not by the hour, which encourages fast work without regard for the welfare of the sheep. Says one eyewitness: “[T]he shearing shed must be one of the worst places in the world for cruelty to animals … I have seen shearers punch sheep with their shears or their fists until the sheep’s nose bled. I have seen sheep with half their faces shorn off …”6

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
Wow that is horrible.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.