Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Can plastic grids work as a temporary measure?

missesd

Cavy Slave
We just inherited 2 more Guinea Pigs tonight, and we still only have the store bought cage :eek:hmy: I had called around for coroplast today, and we are getting it tomorrow. And I had planned on going and looking at cubes at Target and K-Mart this evening. Well then I remembered I still had this in the garage from my son....

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/...bbs_b_2_1/104-0968728-2909553?v=glance&s=baby

We have already taken it apart, and we are getting ready to wash it and then try and make something bigger with zip ties. Will it work?? I still don't know what to do about the bottom, but I figure Home Depot has linoleum and they are open later. Our coroplast place is only open till 5 and hubby works past that, plus they are closed on Saturdays :( So we are going to have to go in and pay $21 tomorrow, but leave with nothing and hope no one takes it when they leave outside for him to come pick up later.

Anyway, what do you think... will it work?

Thanks,
Lisa n Hammy + 2!!! lol

skirbo

Cavy Slave
Wiser heads than mine should prevail here, but I'd be worried that they would chew the plastic and ingest it. Voodoo posted something on the carrier thread on the main chat board recently about her experience evacuating from Katrina and using a laundry basket-one of her pigs chewed through it and got out.

If you can get the cubes you can use a shower curtain for the time being and not have to spend the extra money on linoleum while you wait on the coro.

Congrats on the new piggies!

Sarah

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Depends on your guinea pigs. It would probably hold in mine who don't chew on anything but there are some people with pigs that hit the grids so hard they occasionally crack their teeth. Plastic wouldn't hold up long with that.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
If your pigs are not chewers and if you are only using it as a very temporary measure then you could try it but I don't recommend it as a permanent cage solution.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.