Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnant Foster

JellOh

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone! I work at my local humane society and regularly take in pregnant fosters (mainly cats and dogs) so that they have a safe, quiet place to raise their babies. This is the first time in a long time that I'll be owning a guinea pig and my first time fostering a pregnant mom. She'll be coming home this weekend and I'm the time before then to research the best way to care for baby gps. I know that the forum is very anti-breeding so where would be a safe place to get this advice? Should I change her diet? Would they be better off in a quiet part of the house so they don't stress mom or a more noisy area so the babies are accustomed to sound? Any ideas what colors her babies will be? Mom and dad are pictured below when they first came in before we separated them. Mom is the one in front with more white on her face. Thank you!
IMG_4514.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There's plenty of advice here on caring for pups. We aren't against caring for pups, just against deliberate breeding of pigs!

Here's a link with info in pregnancy: https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...inea-pig-is-pregnant-And-how-far-along-is-she. Be sure to read the links to the GL articles in it.

Put them wherever in the house is convenient for you. You don't have to protect GPs against sound, although they don't really like loud sudden noises. But for years, mine were in the living area of a house with two kids and two dogs, and never suffered. You'll enjoy them more if they're where you can see and interact with them.

No real idea about the colors, but I'd bet on them looking a lot like the parents.

She needs to be fed like young pups -- good quality grass hay (timothy, orchard, meadow, blue, brome) and pellets, roughly a cup of veggies (to include bell pepper, since it's a great source of vitamin C), and extra calcium. You can supplement the grass hay with alfalfa, which has extra calcium, or feed her unlimited alfalfa pellets. After she weans the pups, you can cut back on the pellets to 1/8 cup per day.

If you house the male next to her, put a lid on her cage. He can push up the lid on his own cage, but can't lift the lid on hers. She'll be in heat immediately when the pups are born, and he'll be determined to get to her if he can.

Here's some recommended reading for GP owners:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107827-What-NOT-to-do-for-your-guinea-pigs!

Soecara

Cavy Slave
While this forum is anti-breeding we only take issue with people intentionally breeding and seeking advice on how to intentionally breed. If the breeding was accidental (whether through an accidental meeting of two opposite sexed guinea pigs, or a missexed guinea pig, etc.), or if the female comes into someones care already pregnant we have no issue at all with offering advice.

Baby male pups should be separated from all females at 3 weeks of age. Mother and pups will need a source of extra calcium, mother will need it until she stops lactating, pups will need it until they are 6 months old. The extra calcium can be in the form of unlimited amounts of young guinea pig pellets, OR alfalfa hay mixed in with their regular hay (at a ratio of roughly 30% alfalfa to 70% grass hay), OR a high calcium vegetable/herb added into their diet (such as a couple sprigs of parsley per day). The vegetable option is the best for when you have a cage of mixed ages, as you can take out the ones who need the extra calcium and feed it to them separately (such as during lap time), so the older guinea pigs who should not be getting the extra calcium do not get it.

The right thing has already been done in separating the male from the female, just make sure if they are still housed in the same room that her cage has a lid on it so even if he were to climb out of his cage he still couldn't get to her (though if I understand correctly only mum will be coming home with you?).

What part of the house would be best depends entirely on the temperment of the mum. If she is very shy and easily spooked it would be better to have her somewhere quiet at least until she has given birth (as she will be alone until then?). If she is more outgoing there is no reason not to put her in the more noisy area where she would likely get much more interaction and attention.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.