Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Not Eating Nolan eats at a slower pace but otherwise seems fine?

snozkat

Cavy Gazer
I?m watching my friend?s guinea pig Nolan for a few weeks while she is on vacation. When Nolan first got here, he would eat all of his pellets and hay right away; if I came back in an hour or two, his bowl and hay feeder would be empty. Now, however, it takes him much longer to finish his food. It seems like he still eventually finishes it all, he just does so over a much longer period of time. He isn?t showing any other signs of illness (clean nose/eyes, breathing is fine, still perky, etc.), so I was wondering whether or not this is normal.

I think it is is worth mentioning that when my friend dropped off Nolan, she was a bit misleading when she told me how much food to give him, so for a day or two he did not receive as much hay as he should have (I quickly realized the error of my ways!). Do you all think maybe he simply ate that fast because he was hungrier?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Possibly.

Weigh him daily, preferably before breakfast, to make sure he's not losing weight. That's the only way you'll know if he's getting enough to eat. If you don't have a kitchen scale, they're widely available for about $15.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.