PDA

View Full Version : Sick Sneezing a lot and bloody/ pink runny nose!

PBPaws
05-27-18, 11:15 am
I mean so scared. My guinea pig is sneezing a lot and has a runny nose. It's coming out reddish/ pinkish what does that mean???? I'm trying to find a vet that's open. He is eating and drinking and moving fine, just sneezing and runny nose. What is it? What can I do to help him?

EDIT: He is sneezing less now and his nose doesn't look runny, but I'm still super worried. I'm staying with him at the moment to see if it continues.

bpatters
05-27-18, 11:23 am
He may have had a hay poke up his nose. If it's not pure blood coming out, the loss of blood probably isn't a problem.

You can try shining a light up his nose and looking to see if there's hay in there. I wouldn't recommend trying to get it out, however, because he's very likely to jerk his head around and possibly be injured by whatever you're using to try to grab the hay. But if there is something there and he doesn't sneeze it out, you'll need to get him to a vet to have it removed.

As long as he's eating/drinking/peeing/pooping normally and doesn't have a truly bloody nose, he'll probably be ok until you can see a regular exotic vet.

bpatters
05-27-18, 11:42 am
He may have had a hay poke up his nose. If it's not pure blood coming out, the loss of blood probably isn't a problem.

You can try shining a light up his nose and looking to see if there's hay in there. I wouldn't recommend trying to get it out, however, because he's very likely to jerk his head around and possibly be injured by whatever you're using to try to grab the hay. But if there is something there and he doesn't sneeze it out, you'll need to get him to a vet to have it removed.

As long as he's eating/drinking/peeing/pooping normally and doesn't have a truly bloody nose, he'll probably be ok until you can see a regular exotic vet.