Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Aggresive Male Guinea pig

ayglla

Cavy Gazer
Hello,
I had 2 guinea pigs. Their names are Pamuk and Nuri. Pamuk is famele and Nuri is male.Pamuk gave birth and became 2 baby. I've separated cages from Nuri. Now their cages are standing side by side. Nuri does not let me like him. Trying to hide when I want to love. He's acting aggressively. In the past when I came, they rejoiced and started zapping. He gets very angry when I love those babies. What should I do ? Please help.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You've got more problems than that if he was in the cage with her when the babies were born. Guinea pig sows can get pregnant again within minutes of giving birth, and that's VERY hard on both the sow and the second litter of pups. The death rate is high for guinea pig sows and pups anyway, and it's even higher when dealing with a back-to-back litter. Be very sure you're feeding her good quality pellets, hay and veggies, and supplement her with vegetables high in calcium and vitamin C.

Have you been able to sex the pups yet? Males and females will need to be separated at 21 days, or any baby sows can become pregnant by their brothers. Here's some help in determining the sex: https://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm.

Your male is NOT jealous of the pups. Guinea pigs are herd animals, and he's been separated from his herd. Any male pups can live with the father. Or, if they're all female, you can get him neutered and put him in with females. Until then, though, be sure to keep a lid on the sow's cage. A determined male can push up the lid on his own cage, but can't lift the lid on another cage.

ayglla

Cavy Gazer
Thank you.
Babies were born 14 days. One of the babies is male and one is female. I will put the male in the Nuri cage after 21 days. Should I allow the Nuri's cage to be near their cage and see them?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.