Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sexing Boy who was thought to be a girl...

misskeisha

Cavy Gazer
So, I am not necessarily a new guinea pig owner, in my early teens I used to rescue and take care of many piggies, but flashfoward several years to now, and I decided I would love to have guinea pigs in my life again.

A few months ago I took in a guinea pig from a friend of a friend of mine, my friend told me she was a loner and didn't get along with her friends current guinea pigs, and I couldn't resist her sweet face so I took her in. And a few weeks ago someone had an accidental litter and offered one of her females, and once again, couldn't resist lol.

I let them meet multiple times before finally housing them together, and they seemed to get along great, some dominance displays here and there but nothing actually aggressive. What I did notice though is that the rumble-strutting and humping has been almost constant, but I have tried to be a little standoffish to give them space to get to know each other.

THEN, it struck me, that I never sexed my original girl, I just assumed and didn't even THINK about it. Just yesterday I checked, and bingo.. I've got a boar on my hands.

So now I have them separated and I'm a little shocked, my baby girl is only about 6 weeks old, do you think a solid week of being housed together puts her at a high chance of being pregnant? I know situations vary and so no one can really know, I guess I'm just at a bit of a loss on what to do, I wasn't planning on this in the slightest. I read about this kinda stuff happening a lot but never to me.

I am going to get her into the vet as soon as I can, as well as get my new-found boy in to be neutered.

There's probably not much else for me to do from here but wait and see, huh?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yep, she can be pregnant. As a pup, she needs high quality pellets and hay, but as a pregnant pup, she really needs it. I'd suggest Oxbow or KMS Hayloft pellets, and hay from American Pet Diner or Small Pet Select (both ordered online) rather than pet store hay. Also supplement her with some vitamin C. Vita Drops makes a liquid vitamin C that's easy to use, but DON'T follow their directions and put it in the water bottle. You can sprinkle it on her veggies or syringe it to her.

This may be helpful: https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...inea-pig-is-pregnant-And-how-far-along-is-she

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.