PDA

View Full Version : Hay and Wood Flakes

mlkuan
07-31-03, 11:29 pm
I am from Malaysia and my country is quite hot here, sometimes reaching up to from 28C to 34C. I have gone hunting for a suitable bedding and only found the available types they have are wood flakes and timothy hay in this particular pet shop. The other pet shop most of them have only pine shavings. Since I heard alot of people saying not to use ping shavings so I didn't dare get it. I just want to know is wood flakes suitable for guinea pigs. Since my country is hot, is it ok to have both wood flakes and timothy hay mix together or should I just have wood flakes as my bedding.

n1shell
08-26-03, 06:04 am
Hi Mlkuan :)

I wouldn't dare get wood <em>flakes</em>! The reason for wood <em>shavings</em> is that it's soft as well as absorbes urine! The wood <em>flakes</em> might injure your piggies!!!! (& I couldn't see it being comfortable for them!).

Hay is <em>definitely</em> better... but the same again, <em>you have to be careful</em> that there <em>are not</em> any hard/sharp buts that would be uncomfortable or injure your piggies!

PINE <em>is not</em> the best wood shavings to use but it is <em>much</em> better than CEDAR! & if you have to use Pine shavings you just <em>try to get</em> some that has the <em>least</em> fragrance possible... some pine shavings bedding has been kiln dried to reduce the oils & thus the fragrance.

Or another suggestion is compressing the pine shavings down as much as possible to reduce it's proximity to their nostrils & them breathing in the fumes, or mixing it with another bedding! (Maybe you could have as soft a hay as you can find in their cage & only a bit of shavings where they usually sleep?

& Mlkuan... we can only do the best we can, with the materials available to us, & the knowledge we have! (At least you are expanding your knowledge for the best care you can give your piggies :D )

As for the heat... you do know piggies can die from heat stroke?? Have you got them indoors? & with frozen water/ice packs to lie on/against? & circulating air?

All the best...

Shell, Cailin, Chet, & Dylan :)

mlkuan
08-26-03, 10:10 pm
Thanks for the reply. I have not own a pig yet as I am waiting until I get an apartment of my own. However, I am a bit confuse here about the bedding used. I came across a website www.petsmore.com.my and it says that it's suitable for pigs. I try get the link to the site so you can see what I mean.
www.petsmore.com.my/exd.a...&sideid=21 (http://www.petsmore.com.my/exd.asp?id=557&sideid=21http://www.petsmore.com.my/exd.asp?id=557&sideid=21)
The things here in my country is limited when it comes to other types of animals other than dogs and cats, so I have very limited choice to choose like bedding brands.

Freezing bottle is a good idea. I had alot of discussion in general chat from the others and my solution is to use air-con as I will be mostly out at work and won't be there to change the bottle once it's melted.

kennethlhm
02-16-04, 10:04 pm
so far timothy, alfafa, meadow hay cant b found in msia petshops

minspets
02-24-04, 11:24 pm
In Singapore, we use Breeder Choice ( Brand ) Cat Litter. I don't know where u can get in Malaysia. But it's the best choice and most of us use it and last for more than 1 weeks. You could try

CandT
02-25-04, 11:37 pm
U can get BreedersChoice from PetSafari in Ikano... in fact its on sale, 10% off plus free trial pack/s.

I have seen Timothy and Alfalfa on sale around PJ... even OxBow brand.

Enjoy.

minspets
02-25-04, 11:47 pm
U can get BreedersChoice from PetSafari in Ikano... in fact its on sale, 10% off plus free trial pack/s.

I have seen Timothy and Alfalfa on sale around PJ... even OxBow brand.

Enjoy.
BTW, where is Ikano ? I got 13.5Kg BC for 24S$. How much r they selling. Where is the shop u mentioned in PJ. My office is near Perimad.

kennethlhm
02-26-04, 06:27 pm
BTW, where is Ikano ? I got 13.5Kg BC for 24S$. How much r they selling. Where is the shop u mentioned in PJ. My office is near Perimad.
Pet Safari located inside Ikana power centre, which is located at damansara perdana, next to IKEA.

kennethlhm
02-26-04, 06:28 pm
In Singapore, we use Breeder Choice ( Brand ) Cat Litter. I don't know where u can get in Malaysia. But it's the best choice and most of us use it and last for more than 1 weeks. You could try
Is cat litter suitable for guinea pigs?
Last for 1 week mean u change all the cat litter once a week?
Or do u do some cleaning of spots?

CandT
02-26-04, 08:32 pm
It depends on what type/kind of cat litter... BreedersChoice is made from compressed recycled paper, hence is safe for most/all pets... in fact i am using it as bedding for my star tortoises.
Sorry i cant remember the prices at PetSafari.

kennethlhm
02-26-04, 09:08 pm
It depends on what type/kind of cat litter... BreedersChoice is made from compressed recycled paper, hence is safe for most/all pets... in fact i am using it as bedding for my star tortoises.
Sorry i cant remember the prices at PetSafari.
ok... check frm website
it said can used for guinea pigs oso

kennethlhm
02-26-04, 09:12 pm
how long can 1 packet for breederchoice cat litter last for a 2 storey 3x2 CC cage? If u change once everyweek

minspets
02-26-04, 10:00 pm
how long can 1 packet for breederchoice cat litter last for a 2 storey 3x2 CC cage? If u change once everyweek

How long and how many is depend on you. For me, I put about 1" for 3'x2' cage. I have only 1 GP in the cage and it's already a week and seem like still in very good condition ( may be last for at least 10 days). Of course, I clean out all the wet bedding every day and leave the rest ( without adding ).

I would say for 5Kg pack , it'll last me for about 7-8 time (Just one cage). If you have more than 1 cage than should consider 13.5Kg pack which is more economy.

One more good thing about it's not smelly.

How I wish, breeder's choice company give me some token for recommandation. :))