Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Parasites Fleas or Fur mites?

kkzeus

Cavy Slave
My 2 guinea pigs Liz & Luna have small white ish yellow tiny bugs crawling in their fur. They have the legs coming out of the bottom of the creature. Luna has a patch of her fur missing and Liz has bright pinkish - red skin. I don't have enough money to take them to the vet & pay for meds. They also seem to have eggs that are attached to the fur. Help please! suggestions? how can i find out which it is?

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
From your description it sounds like mites or lice to me. (Fleas look entirely different.) You may be able to treat them without a vet with topical ivermectin if you know how to dose it correctly. If you'll check the website guinealynx.com, there should be a link that can help you calculate dosages of certain medications. You'll also need to weigh the pigs with a kitchen scale that can accurately weight 5 lbs.

I brought home a rescue that turned out to have lice, and I was able to treat both my pigs with topical ivermectin I bought off Amazon for like $20. Other than seeing bugs on them, how are they doing? Are they feeling healthy: eating, drinking, pooping, peeing, maintaining weight? And what type of bedding/cage setup do they have?

kkzeus

Cavy Slave
Im almost positive its Lice, there are eggs in the fur, and it looks like it. I need help, but i need a way that you have tested and wont harm my pigs 100%

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I gave you a way to treat them. That's the best way we've got, and many of us have treated our pigs that way. If you don't want to do that, then see a vet.

kkzeus

Cavy Slave
I did go see a vet, its Lice, thanks for the help. They gave us Advantage for kittens.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.