PDA

View Full Version : Hello! First time owner

AprilsMom
04-22-18, 02:42 pm
Hello,
My name is Kristina and I just became a cavy mom yesterday! I?m super excited to have my baby girl. My husband and I decided to name her April because, well, it?s April and because my birthday was April 17th. She?s settling in pretty good and getting used to the sound of my voice. She?s still skiddish but she let me pet her a little this morning. Tomorrow I?m hoping she?ll let me hold her!

Thank you for having this forum! I hope nobody minds but I know I?m going to have a ton of questions

Kimicub
04-22-18, 03:20 pm
Hello,
My name is Kristina and I just became a cavy mom yesterday! I?m super excited to have my baby girl. My husband and I decided to name her April because, well, it?s April and because my birthday was April 17th. She?s settling in pretty good and getting used to the sound of my voice. She?s still skiddish but she let me pet her a little this morning. Tomorrow I?m hoping she?ll let me hold her!

Thank you for having this forum! I hope nobody minds but I know I?m going to have a ton of questionsYay welcome. Can't wait to see pics of April [emoji7]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

AprilsMom
04-22-18, 03:32 pm
Yay welcome. Can't wait to see pics of April [emoji7]

I?m hoping to sneak some pics of her tomorrow!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LightSeeker
04-22-18, 03:42 pm
Hi and welcome :)

bpatters
04-22-18, 05:36 pm
Welcome! Here's some recommended reading that will answer a lot of your questions:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107827-What-NOT-to-do-for-your-guinea-pigs!

AprilsMom
04-22-18, 05:59 pm
Thank you! I managed to get a face shot of her. On her left side the black turns to tan. The rest of her is white.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180422/883ee9eca6b0f271922697dc8af98676.jpg

bpatters
04-22-18, 06:50 pm
Cute pig.

But if that tunnel is one of the Ecotrition Snak Shak Activity Logs, they're not recommended for guinea pigs. They're held together with molasses and honey, and guinea pigs are not engineered to process sugar. It can upset the bacterial balance in the gut, and cause very serious digestive problems.

AprilsMom
04-22-18, 08:18 pm
Cute pig.

But if that tunnel is one of the Ecotrition Snak Shak Activity Logs, they're not recommended for guinea pigs. They're held together with molasses and honey, and guinea pigs are not engineered to process sugar. It can upset the bacterial balance in the gut, and cause very serious digestive problems.

It is one of those. I didn?t know. I just thought the igloo plastic ones would be worse if she chewed on that and the wood house wouldn?t fit in her cage. So far she isn?t chewing on it. I have blocks and other chew toys in there for her. I have a food dish and I originally put another dish in there for her hay but I had to buy a bigger thing for the hay. When I went to take out the dish I put in there, I realized that she pees in it! So I cleaned it and set it back in her cage and that?s what she uses for a ?toilet?. I?ve watched her do it a couple times. Too me that?s amazing! She?s already potty trained! And it?s easy to clean out. She?s so good!

bpatters
04-22-18, 08:26 pm
Ummm... Don't celebrate too soon. You can't potty train a guinea pig. And it sounds like you've got a bunch of stuff in her cage, so she may be pooping in the dish because there's no space elsewhere.

And please don't get an igloo. There's no air circulation in them, and the pig just sits in its own waste. Much better to use fleece forests, or hideys with multiple doors.

AprilsMom
04-22-18, 08:26 pm
Why does every apostrophe or quotes mark turn into question marks when I type?

AprilsMom
04-22-18, 08:31 pm
Ummm... Don't celebrate too soon. You can't potty train a guinea pig. And it sounds like you've got a bunch of stuff in her cage, so she may be pooping in the dish because there's no space elsewhere.

And please don't get an igloo. There's no air circulation in them, and the pig just sits in its own waste. Much better to use fleece forests, or hideys with multiple doors.

Oh, she poops everywhere. I mean she pees (urinates) in the bowl. I haven?t seen any evidence of her doing it anywhere else.

She just started making a lot of noise. I don?t know what that means. She has fresh hay, pellets, fresh water. Could it be she wants to sleep now? She was pretty active all day.

bpatters
04-22-18, 08:33 pm
I have no idea what's going on with the question marks. It happens to some users, but not to others. And it's a new phenomenon.

Earl Nolte
04-23-18, 06:31 am
Hello. I'm Earl. Are you interested in raising dogs

Kimicub
04-23-18, 06:57 am
Thank you! I managed to get a face shot of her. On her left side the black turns to tan. The rest of her is white.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180422/883ee9eca6b0f271922697dc8af98676.jpg

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkAwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Kimicub
04-23-18, 07:00 am
My youngest piggies are semi potty trained. Takes a lot of dedication and like other animals even humans lol they can poop elsewhere. Its funny watching them run to their tray to pee. The older ones can't be bothered maybe cos i started too late with them.

AprilsMom
04-23-18, 08:25 am
My youngest piggies are semi potty trained. Takes a lot of dedication and like other animals even humans lol they can poop elsewhere. Its funny watching them run to their tray to pee. The older ones can't be bothered maybe cos i started too late with them.

Yes, that?s what she does! Poops anywhere but runs to her dish to pee! I?m glad she?s not the only one!

AprilsMom
04-23-18, 09:21 am
Guinea pigs are so goofy! April was just running around in circles around her cage! I?m hoping that means she?s being silly and is happy. It made her very thirsty!

Sometimes it seems like she struggles to get water out but when I check it, it works fine. I will have to keep an eye on that.

ChubbyMonroe
04-23-18, 09:35 am
Aww! The April is super cute! I hope she settles in and the others are right, the tunnel can be dangerous because of the ingredients. I would suggest maybe just a little fleecy area where your guinea pig can snuggle but remember to clean the poop out or they are sitting in it. I hope she's all healthy! Welcome to the forum!

ChubbyMonroe
04-23-18, 09:38 am
Guinea pigs are so goofy! April was just running around in circles around her cage! I?m hoping that means she?s being silly and is happy. It made her very thirsty!

Sometimes it seems like she struggles to get water out but when I check it, it works fine. I will have to keep an eye on that.

They are very goofy! lol This means she is very happy because she is popcorning

AprilsMom
04-23-18, 09:51 am
They are very goofy! lol This means she is very happy because she is popcorning

That?s great! She was hopping (popcorning) around and running around. Then she?d stop and look at me then go nuts again!

That makes me so happy that she?s happy!!

Although, I am going to check into a new cage for her. She needs bigger.

AprilsMom
04-23-18, 09:52 am
Aww! The April is super cute! I hope she settles in and the others are right, the tunnel can be dangerous because of the ingredients. I would suggest maybe just a little fleecy area where your guinea pig can snuggle but remember to clean the poop out or they are sitting in it. I hope she's all healthy! Welcome to the forum!

What do you mean fleecy area? I?ve seen pictures of corner huts with fleece over it. How would I make that or buy that?

AprilsMom
04-23-18, 10:09 am
Does anyone use the Guinea Habitat Plus? I?m thinking about getting that but I?m not sure about the bottom of it? Is it solid or if it overhangs will my husband have to put a board down to support it? I think it?s by Midwest.

bpatters
04-23-18, 02:19 pm
AprilsMom, please don't put duplicate posts on the forum. Most people who read this site read all the new posts, and there's no need to post in two places.

AprilsMom
04-23-18, 03:08 pm
AprilsMom, please don't put duplicate posts on the forum. Most people who read this site read all the new posts, and there's no need to post in two places.

Ok, I?m sorry. There is so much on here that I posted about something than I found a thread for it. I?m still trying to navigate my way around.

AprilsMom
04-23-18, 03:55 pm
I?ve been reading a lot about what food pellets to give April. I bought the Kaytee fiesta and I?m sorry I did. But after reading about the Oxbow pellets, I was curious if my local pet store carried it and they do!! Thankfully, I live close to the Drs Foster and Smith warehouse! So tomorrow I?m going and getting her a bag of good food. Since she?s only about 8 weeks old I?m going to get the pellets for young guinea pigs. That with the Timothy hay and different veggies with some fruit should be a good, healthy diet for her, right?

Today was the first day that I took her out of her cage. I would pet her and talk to her so she gets used to me but today I held her for about 20 minutes or so and she seemed to like it. She started warbling and I think I could have put her to slept just petting around her face! Then I put her in her playpen, which didn?t go over real good first time, so I could clean her cage up. I?m going to start handling her a little more each day!

CAVY LOVER222
04-23-18, 04:07 pm
April is soo cute! I know you'll love guinea pigs!

AprilsMom
04-23-18, 04:12 pm
bpatters can you make this April?s thread please? Thank you.

Kimicub
04-23-18, 04:35 pm
I?ve been reading a lot about what food pellets to give April. I bought the Kaytee fiesta and I?m sorry I did. But after reading about the Oxbow pellets, I was curious if my local pet store carried it and they do!! Thankfully, I live close to the Drs Foster and Smith warehouse! So tomorrow I?m going and getting her a bag of good food. Since she?s only about 8 weeks old I?m going to get the pellets for young guinea pigs. That with the Timothy hay and different veggies with some fruit should be a good, healthy diet for her, right?

Today was the first day that I took her out of her cage. I would pet her and talk to her so she gets used to me but today I held her for about 20 minutes or so and she seemed to like it. She started warbling and I think I could have put her to slept just petting around her face! Then I put her in her playpen, which didn?t go over real good first time, so I could clean her cage up. I?m going to start handling her a little more each day!

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkPut some fresh veggies in her playpen and some tunnels she'll love it.

AprilsMom
04-23-18, 05:14 pm
Put some fresh veggies in her playpen and some tunnels she'll love it.

I did put some veggies in and I thought she was going to find them but she decided to hide instead. Lol

Janani.R.S
04-23-18, 05:24 pm
Welcome to the family, Kristina! You're pig is absolutely ADORABLE! She's is great, she is quickly getting used to her surroundings, it is amazing that she let you pet her a day after you got her! Mine still doesn't let me touch him too much and I've had him for over a month! And again, I LOVE you?re pig. I hope you guys have a great future together!

AprilsMom
04-23-18, 06:24 pm
Welcome to the family, Kristina! You're pig is absolutely ADORABLE! She's is great, she is quickly getting used to her surroundings, it is amazing that she let you pet her a day after you got her! Mine still doesn't let me touch him too much and I've had him for over a month! And again, I LOVE you?re pig. I hope you guys have a great future together!

Aww...thank you and April thanks you (she?s blushing right now, lol)

bpatters
04-23-18, 07:54 pm
Don't overdo the fruit. It's got too much sugar to be given often to guinea pigs.

Did you actually read the links I recommended to you? There's lots of good information about diet in there.

AprilsMom
04-23-18, 08:17 pm
Don't overdo the fruit. It's got too much sugar to be given often to guinea pigs.

Did you actually read the links I recommended to you? There's lots of good information about diet in there.

Yes I read them! I said veggies and SOME fruit, in other words, some meaning once in a while. I?m sorry but why does it feel like your attacking me with everything I say?

Just so you know, I?m learning, I make mistakes but I?m not dumb and April is a happy, healthy little girl. She?s been running and popcorning off and on all day so I must be doing something right by her!

bpatters
04-23-18, 11:14 pm
Nobody's attacking you, but nobody can read your mind, either. We have no idea whether you know how much fruit can be given. "Some fruit" could mean half an apple a day, or a slice once a week. If you're a little more careful about saying what you mean, we'll know whether what you have planned benefits your pigs or hurts them.

AprilsMom
04-24-18, 08:15 am
Nobody's attacking you, but nobody can read your mind, either. We have no idea whether you know how much fruit can be given. "Some fruit" could mean half an apple a day, or a slice once a week. If you're a little more careful about saying what you mean, we'll know whether what you have planned benefits your pigs or hurts them.

Fine. But you also have to read what I write. When I said I didn?t think a plastic igloo was good for her I meant I wasn?t going to get one because I didn?t think it was good for her. You didn?t have to tell me not to get one. I already said that. Or maybe I do have to be more literal with my words so you understand them.

I haven?t had a problem with anyone else understanding what I mean.

Janani.R.S
04-24-18, 02:55 pm
Aww...thank you and April thanks you (she?s blushing right now, lol)

Aww! April, you are so sweet!!!! You are the sweetest guinea pig ever!

MrsDarling
04-24-18, 04:58 pm
Sooo cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cookiesandcreme
04-25-18, 06:07 pm
April is adorable! Just a big fluff of cuteness.

Also, if you're able to, Amazon carries Oxbow online in case you can't purchase it at the petstore. Small Pet Select also sells through Amazon as well as Sherwood.

AprilsMom
04-25-18, 06:56 pm
April is adorable! Just a big fluff of cuteness.

Also, if you're able to, Amazon carries Oxbow online in case you can't purchase it at the petstore. Small Pet Select also sells through Amazon as well as Sherwood.

Thanks! April thanks you too! Lol

I was able to get the Oxbow pellets and I picked up a bag of the Oxbow western Timothy hay. April is doing great! Today she even ate some radicchio and red leaf lettuce while I had her out and on my lap. I think she?s starting to trust me.

I do have one question, if I?m standing up with her and I?m supporting her bottom and she?s tucked close to me, she seems to tremble when I pet her. Is this just nerves? She doesn?t make a sound it?s just a ?vibration? I feel. She doesn?t seem to do it when I?m sitting with her. Afraid of heights maybe?

thecuteness
04-25-18, 10:12 pm
She really is adorable :-)
But I recognize that cage and ramp, and I know they were too small (which I know you've previously said you will upsize, and trust me I went through the week of regret not knowing better myself)
I know nothing about the health affects of that little hidy hole , but I was suggested when I purchased that cage that the ramp itself would give them the the special protection they need. The hidey hole decreases a lot of the actual floor space that they definitely needed all that floor space they could get. Their baby legs to had issues crawling up the ramp at first so I'd drape a little wash cloth or something towel over to give them extra coverage to hide behind as well as a more stable way to walk up.

Kimicub
04-26-18, 01:06 am
Thanks! April thanks you too! Lol

I was able to get the Oxbow pellets and I picked up a bag of the Oxbow western Timothy hay. April is doing great! Today she even ate some radicchio and red leaf lettuce while I had her out and on my lap. I think she?s starting to trust me.

I do have one question, if I?m standing up with her and I?m supporting her bottom and she?s tucked close to me, she seems to tremble when I pet her. Is this just nerves? She doesn?t make a sound it?s just a ?vibration? I feel. She doesn?t seem to do it when I?m sitting with her. Afraid of heights maybe?

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkMine tend to do that too. I think it's just the fear of being so far away from level ground. If you imagine us being picked up by a giant you might feel a bit shaky too. Just ensure you have a firm but gentle hold and probably wait till you've sat down to pet her.

AprilsMom
04-26-18, 08:39 am
She really is adorable :-)
But I recognize that cage and ramp, and I know they were too small (which I know you've previously said you will upsize, and trust me I went through the week of regret not knowing better myself)
I know nothing about the health affects of that little hidy hole , but I was suggested when I purchased that cage that the ramp itself would give them the the special protection they need. The hidey hole decreases a lot of the actual floor space that they definitely needed all that floor space they could get. Their baby legs to had issues crawling up the ramp at first so I'd drape a little wash cloth or something towel over to give them extra coverage to hide behind as well as a more stable way to walk up.

Yeah, I needed something to put her in but I ordered her the Midwest cage and it should be here next week. For now I took that shelve out. She didn?t even look at it and it did get in her way of popcorning. Lol. Now she popcorns all around and runs thru that hidey at 90 mph doing circles! I bought her a new hidey to put in her new cage because I know now that that hidey isn?t good for her. She also popcorns high enough sometimes that she jumps on top of it! Which she couldn?t do with that shelve in there. She?s so fun to watch! I just love her!!

AprilsMom
04-26-18, 08:41 am
Mine tend to do that too. I think it's just the fear of being so far away from level ground. If you imagine us being picked up by a giant you might feel a bit shaky too. Just ensure you have a firm but gentle hold and probably wait till you've sat down to pet her.

Lol, I was thinking of the movie King Kong and being picked up like that so funny you should mention us being picked up. Lol

Kimicub
04-26-18, 08:43 am
Lol, I was thinking of the movie King Kong and being picked up like that so funny you should mention us being picked up. Lol

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkLool

AprilsMom
04-26-18, 08:50 am
Once I get her new cage, I?m switching from bedding to fleece. I picked up a couple fleece throws 50x60 from Walmart yesterday and I have some old towels to use under it. I?m so excited for her to get this bigger cage and I can?t wait to see how she?ll react with the new things I got to put in it! I?ll take a pic of it once it?s set up next week.

I did get her a cardboard barn that you can fill with hay and it has doors on both sides that she can go into to get the hay once she?s eaten her way in. Does anyone else have one of these or seen one of these? I?m wondering now if it?s safe. It says the cardboard has vegetable based inks so that should be ok. It looks neat!

thecuteness
04-26-18, 12:59 pm
And as I am sure you've heard before, you should get her a companion. Very minimal extra effort in regards to feeding and cleaning, as well as more entertainment for her.

Sorry if these are things you've been hearing since you got her I just wanted to make sure :-)
I'm sure shes in a loving home :love:

AprilsMom
04-26-18, 02:01 pm
And as I am sure you've heard before, you should get her a companion. Very minimal extra effort in regards to feeding and cleaning, as well as more entertainment for her.

Sorry if these are things you've been hearing since you got her I just wanted to make sure :-)
I'm sure shes in a loving home :love:

I?ve been thinking about it but my only problem is lack of room. I got her the Midwest cage because the small c&c cage would be too tight in the area I have her. We have a small living room and I don?t want to put her in a bedroom because we spend most of our time in the living room and it wouldn?t be fair to her or a cagemate to not be part of the family. And I don?t think the Midwest cage is big enough for two. [emoji22]

wheekermommy
04-26-18, 06:42 pm
I?ve been thinking about it but my only problem is lack of room. I got her the Midwest cage because the small c&c cage would be too tight in the area I have her. We have a small living room and I don?t want to put her in a bedroom because we spend most of our time in the living room and it wouldn?t be fair to her or a cagemate to not be part of the family. And I don?t think the Midwest cage is big enough for two. [emoji22]

You are right, April would prefer to be with you in the living room. Would you be able to do a L shape on two midwest cages? Sometimes it takes some furniture moving/getting rid of but I promise it is worth it to see how happy she will be with a friend. Also, watching guinea pigs interact with one another is soo cute! You really get to see their personalities shine.

AprilsMom
04-26-18, 07:16 pm
I wish I could. If you can picture it...the tv and her cage take up one wall with the opening to the kitchen and hallway, on the next wall is a loveseat (can?t fit a couch) and an end table, next wall is two recliners and an end table in front of the window then a little opening where the front door and front closet are, on the last wall is my turtles 40 G tank a small end table and a cube shaped 29 G fish tank. We?re full. Honesty if we?d known the living room was doing to be this small we probably wouldn?t have bought the house. Everything looks bigger when it?s empty. Oh well.

wheekermommy
04-26-18, 08:56 pm
That is a pretty packed room. Are any of the end tables big enough to fit a cage on perhaps?

Totally random but what kind of fishies do you have in the 29 gallon? I used to have a 55 gallon 20 gallon and two 10s. :D

AprilsMom
04-26-18, 09:13 pm
That is a pretty packed room. Are any of the end tables big enough to fit a cage on perhaps?

Totally random but what kind of fishies do you have in the 29 gallon? I used to have a 55 gallon 20 gallon and two 10s. :D

The end tables are octagon shaped and not very big.

My husband has a saltwater tank. It called a BioCube. It was suppose to be a reef tank but the corals all died so now it?s just some fish, snails, crabs and a couple shrimp.

AprilsMom
04-27-18, 03:28 pm
I might have a chance to get April?s sister. Same litter. They?ve only been separated for a week. Do I need to quarantine the other and go through the introduction ?dating game??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpatters
04-27-18, 04:32 pm
It depends on where you're getting her from and your tolerance for a possible infection. If she's coming from a reputable rescue or a private home where she's been well cared for, you could probably safely skip quarantine. If not, you'd just have to be prepared for double vet bills if she contaminates your existing pigs with something contagious or with parasites.

And yes, you'll have to do full reintroductions for them. It may go easily and well, but better to be prepared if it doesn't.

AprilsMom
04-27-18, 05:58 pm
[QUOTE=bpatters;1002650]It depends on where you're getting her from and your tolerance for a possible infection. If she's coming from a reputable rescue or a private home where she's been well cared for, you could probably safely skip quarantine. If not, you'd just have to be prepared for double vet bills if she contaminates your existing pigs with something contagious or with parasites.

And yes, you'll have to do full reintroductions for them. It may go easily and well, but better to be prepared if it doesn't.[/

When I adopted April her sister was there at Petco in the back up for adoption too but I was told she was spoken for. But a friend thinks she?s still there. I haven?t called to find out yet. They both were in the same cage.

bpatters
04-27-18, 07:13 pm
It won't matter if they were together before, either from a quarantine sense or an introduction one. You just have to treat them as pigs who don't know each other and have never met.

AprilsMom
05-02-18, 04:40 pm
April is suddenly being weird. I gave her her dinner of mixed lettuce and we?re trying green bean, small piece of celery, a little parsley and cilantro. She?s not eating any of it. I?m wondering if because it?s finally nice outside and I have the back door open where the bird feeder is if that scaring her? She?s not anywhere near the door but you can hear the blackbirds and a couple blue jays quite loudly. Could it be the birds or too much new food? Or maybe both?

Janani.R.S
05-02-18, 05:06 pm
April is suddenly being weird. I gave her her dinner of mixed lettuce and we?re trying green bean, small piece of celery, a little parsley and cilantro. She?s not eating any of it. I?m wondering if because it?s finally nice outside and I have the back door open where the bird feeder is if that scaring her? She?s not anywhere near the door but you can hear the blackbirds and a couple blue jays quite loudly. Could it be the birds or too much new food? Or maybe both?

It could be that you are giving her too much food, she might see that she has a lot of food so she will know that she will have a lot to eat later so she isn't eating it, that's a problem with my piggy, Pebbles, if he sees a bowl full of food he wants to save for later and do something else but if it isn't too much he will gobble everything down. It might be the same with April. But, it also could be the birds because guinea pigs don't like loud sounds and they are scared of unfamiliar sounds too. I know a few guinea pigs that have tried to hide from the loud calls of the birds, though, Pebbles is not afraid of birds at all! Pebbles is curious and he starts looking at the ceilings and look at his surroundings to find out where the sound is coming from, then he wheeks with excitement running around his cage. LOL! Anyway, I hope you soon find out the cause! :o

AprilsMom
05-02-18, 05:36 pm
It could be that you are giving her too much food, she might see that she has a lot of food so she will know that she will have a lot to eat later so she isn't eating it, that's a problem with my piggy, Pebbles, if he sees a bowl full of food he wants to save for later and do something else but if it isn't too much he will gobble everything down. It might be the same with April. But, it also could be the birds because guinea pigs don't like loud sounds and they are scared of unfamiliar sounds too. I know a few guinea pigs that have tried to hide from the loud calls of the birds, though, Pebbles is not afraid of birds at all! Pebbles is curious and he starts looking at the ceilings and look at his surroundings to find out where the sound is coming from, then he wheeks with excitement running around his cage. LOL! Anyway, I hope you soon find out the cause! :o

I think it was the new food. After I moved the cilantro and the parsley, she happily ate most of her lettuce until a green bean popped up then it was ?no?. Once I moved that, she finished her lettuce. I did put some of what I took out back and left the room hoping she would eat it, but no. I will try again every now and then. I did give her some pepper because I didn?t want her to just have lettuce. She?s turning out to be quite a picky eater!

bpatters
05-02-18, 05:52 pm
Have you seen this? https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/105287-How-to-teach-a-guinea-pig-to-eat-vegetables

AprilsMom
05-03-18, 01:13 pm
Have you seen this? https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/105287-How-to-teach-a-guinea-pig-to-eat-vegetables

I have now. Thank you!