Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n 4th week without meat

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
Okay so I am entering my 4th week without meat now. I am not even really craving it anymore. That being said I think I have eaten maybe 2 veggie burgers and basically not eaten anything too healthy (not that I did before but still). So my question is what are the best tasting things that you have found to take place of the meat? LIke what brands of veggie chicken and stuff. I just bought a few things and I am not a very good cook so I am looking for quick things. Thanks.

amyjane

Cavy Slave
I like the fake ribs that Boca makes. Quorn makes some yummy "chicken" nuggets. Didn't care for Chik'n very much (Morningstar, I believe?). Boca crumbles are excellent to use in place of ground meat. Beware of overcooking, though, as they fall apart when you cook them too long.

thecarerescue

Cavy Slave
Unfortunately we don't have a whole heap of meat-replacement products here in Australia so I just replace them with fresh vegetables.
What are the ingredients in Boca and other similar products, do they have much nutrition in them?

tiny_maggs

Cavy Slave
I like Morningstar's "chicken" nuggets, "chicken" patties, and I also like their corn dogs, which is weird because when I ate real meat I never liked them. I also like Boca's "chicken" patties and their burgers. I like the brand Yves too, I love their veggie dogs and their "turkey" deli slices are good too.

Most fake meat is made from soy protien. About nutrition, I think their pretty healthy. For example, one original vegan boca burger has 13 grams of protien and 0 grams of cholesterol, that sounds good to me!

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
I really like the corn dogs too. I just got some of the morning star chicken and I am going to give that a try. I am just having carbohydrate overload right now and I really need to balance that out.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
I like Schnider's meatless products. Maybe if you are ever in Windsor you can pick them up at a store.

I'm having soy "weiner wraps" tonight. It's modified comfort food. I think it's vegan. I am sure it's vegetarian. Get veggie dogs, veg cheese and Pillsburry cresent dough. Unwrap dough into 8 little triangles (as per directions) lay half a "cheese" slice on the big end of the triangle. Wrap around soy dog. Repeat 8 times. Cook as per directions on dough.

If I can make it you can too babygrl! Us bad cooks have to stick together!

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
Yum that sounds really good I will have to try it. Next time I am in Windsor I need to pick up some of that strawberry soy milk. It sounds super good and I have not found any around here. I also picked up some veggie slices so I can try that on a burger. If it is good I can remove cheese from my diet. That will be exciting.

homeschoolmama

Cavy Slave
I'd like to recommend Morningstar as well :) Definitely one of my favorites. Amy's Organics has several yummy "quick meals" as well. Here's a quick-link to her Vegan choices... (broken link removed)

and congratulations! I've tried so many times, and keep giving in at the 6th week. Still trying though.

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
Homeschoolmama, Thanks for the link, alot of that looks very yummy. I think I am going to hit up the health food store today to see what they have although my chubby butt walking in there may look humorous to some. I am pretty proud of myself for making it this far. I have stuck to this longer than any diet I ever have and I am pretty content right now. Granted it can be a pain to cook dinner for my husband that I can't eat. He is pretty picky but I am going to try and sneak some subsitute food into his dinner and not tell him. He might be none the wiser.

amyjane

Cavy Slave
Its been my experience that when people don't know, they can hardly tell the difference. (When you add fake meat, that is.)

Sabriel, excellent idea with the veggie dogs! I'm going to get the stuff for it tomorrow now. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.