Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Infection Dry ear,hair loss and dry skin

Breeana

Cavy Gazer
DF31FD33-FDFE-4E7B-89D2-62835BFBC17E.jpg7002F259-67DF-4FBA-AE61-6BBC74A315B8.jpgD0995307-F86A-48C5-B907-C30B14C4701E.jpgJust bought 2 guinea pigs from a local guy one had a bald spot on the top off his head what I thought was just because it might of been over groomed by the other piggies he had because it was night time thats all I seen,came home to realise it has a dry and scabby ear and a bald spot with red above his nose and cry skin behind his ears,could someone please tell me what it is and is there any home remidies to fix it, the other guinea pig had nothing like this I gave them all a bath to make sure it wasnt mites

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd go to a pharmacy and get some Lotrimin or Nystatin and apply it sparingly twice a day with a q-tip, rubbing it in well. Wash your hands carefully each time you handle him, because if it's a fungal infection as I think it is, you can catch it also. And make sure to watch the other pig carefully for any signs of it.

Just as an FYI, bathing a pig will do nothing for mites, and will often make the itching even worse. Mites can't be seen with the naked eye in the first place, and in the second, they burrow into the skin. A pig that has mites will be scratching pretty insistently, and should be treated with ivermectin.

Do you have two males? If so, they'll need a pretty large cage. No pet store cage is large enough for two sows, and boars require more room than sows.

Here's some recommended reading for new pig owners:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107827-What-NOT-to-do-for-your-guinea-pigs!

Breeana

Cavy Gazer
I have 2,2 by 4 c&c cages as I have 4 males but have ordered more grids to expand,should I be keeping him away from the other males as they all play together,he has a couple red things on him not sure if it?s dried blood or not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Breeana

Cavy Gazer
I'd go to a pharmacy and get some Lotrimin or Nystatin and apply it sparingly twice a day with a q-tip, rubbing it in well. Wash your hands carefully each time you handle him, because if it's a fungal infection as I think it is, you can catch it also. And make sure to watch the other pig carefully for any signs of it.

Just as an FYI, bathing a pig will do nothing for mites, and will often make the itching even worse. Mites can't be seen with the naked eye in the first place, and in the second, they burrow into the skin. A pig that has mites will be scratching pretty insistently, and should be treated with ivermectin.

Do you have two males? If so, they'll need a pretty large cage. No pet store cage is large enough for two sows, and boars require more room than sows.

Here's some recommended reading for new pig owners:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107827-What-NOT-to-do-for-your-guinea-pigs!
I have 2,2 by 4 c&c cages as I have 4 males but have ordered more grids to expand,should I be keeping him away from the other males as they all play together,he has a couple red things on him not sure if it?s dried blood or not

Breeana

Cavy Gazer
Would Clotrimazole work I?m in Australia and I searched the two fungale creams in one off the pharmacy and none came up

Breeana

Cavy Gazer
612f5e3941a0be149507d4a5197bcbec.jpg

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Clotrimazole will work. That's what in Lotrimin.

Breeana

Cavy Gazer
Clotrimazole will work. That's what in Lotrimin.

Okay thanks,should I be keeping him away from the other piggies while his affected?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Well, they've been thoroughly exposed already, and separating him may just stress him out more.

Breeana

Cavy Gazer
Thankyou my pharmacy isn?t open till Tuesday cause off Easter but I?ll grab some then and keep you updated

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.