Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Dead or Dying toe?

Rachel Phillips

Cavy Gazer
My guinea pig name is Trouble. A few weeks ago I noticed that trouble seemed to have a broken toe. So I bandaged it up with pet tape. I didn?t bring her to the vet because she didn?t seem to be in any pain. I looked at her toes today and it seems that she had broken 2 and not just one. I feel like one of the toes is dead, I?m not sure, and I want to know because if it is I would like to bring her to the vet immediately to prevent further damage, and prevent the guinea pig from getting deathly ill. So is there anyway if I can tell if the toe is dead. The toe in question is very hard, is bigger then her normal toe but it the same size as the other broken one. Trouble has black skin, and part of the toe is white and that leads me to believe it is dying along with that the skin doesn?t feel normal it feels really hard and I just want to make sure she is okay, Do y?all have any advice on how I can tell, or make her comfortable in the mean time while I wait to get a appointment for the vet? (both outside toes were broken the middle never broke)

Attachments

CA09D56D-C1A3-4050-99F9-A1588B4EFC47.jpg 4822705C-96EE-43F6-B112-A6FF6835FEB2.jpg B3C0BCB2-3977-4618-B0C1-54E8EAFB4551.jpg

Sofia claire

Cavy Slave
Is she walking normally? Is the toe cold? Does she squeal when you touch the toe? The vet will be able to tell you exactly what is wrong of course and all you can do is really make her comfortable until you can figure out what the problem is.

Rachel Phillips

Cavy Gazer
My guinea pig is very scared so I don’t really see her out much so I cannot say if she walks funny or not. The toe isn’t warm but isn’t cold either. She does get upset when I touch it she squeaks but it doesn’t sound like a squeak of pain it just sounds like she doesn’t want to be touched but the skin on the toe appears to be mostly dried up and then part of it is swollen and feels really hard kind like a bone.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd want a vet to look at it.

Rachel Phillips

Cavy Gazer
I will be making a appointment as soon as I can because I don’t want her to be in any discomfort and if I can save it or fix it that would be ideal. Thank you for your advice :)

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
It looks like my Penny's toe when she injured it. I still don't know what happened to her. The vet cut the nail all the way off and put her on Metacam and Bactrim. The nail never grew back but it doesn't seem to bother her at all now.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
When a human sprains or fractures a toe, we frequently do a technique called "buddy taping". Use an uninjured adjacent toe as a splint and tape the injured one to it to act as support until you can have her examined by a Vet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.