PDA

View Full Version : Sick my guinea pig limping

Prasiddha
03-16-18, 07:11 am
hi friend!

Need immediately help. I have two guinea pigs named fluffy and icy. I assume both are female. Last month fluffy started gainong weight. Since I am a first time guinea pig owner I thought she is putting on weight.Last week to my surprise I saw three baby guinea pups running in the cage.Immediately I understood icy was the male and shifted him to a different place. Now fluffy lives with her three babies. This afternoon like always fluffy came out of her cage to be on my lap for a while and jumped back again to her cage. From the time she returned to her cage she is lifting her rightback leg and walking. Only while walking she isn't using her leg. Otherwise she scratches herself with that leg. Even if I touch her on that leg she doesn't show any symptom of pain. Please help me. What could be the issue. I am feeling really worried.

#1 (https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/my-guinea-pig-limping.157111/threads/my-guinea-pig-limping.157111/)

wheekermommy
03-16-18, 07:59 am
Hello,

Did you see Fluffly land odd on her leg when she jumped back in her cage? How long has she been limping for? What size cage is she in?

My piggy started limping on her back leg putting little weight on it when I had her out for floor time. I also noticed when she was standing to eat she avoided putting weight on it. Guinea pigs are notorious for hiding their pain so I took her to my exotic vet. He said she didn't fracture anything but did have a slight injury so recommended no floor time for a week to allow it to heal and remove anything in the cage that would make her jump. He also gave me the Oxbow joint supplement in case she was having joint pain too. We decided no pain medicine since she was eating and acting normal otherwise.

I would keep an on her and if gets worse, or she is eating less make a vet appointment.

Also if you are new to piggys you might want to make another thread asking for advice about the new babies. I know the mom can get pregnant immediately after she gives birth so hopefully she isn't pregnant again. And at a certain point you need to sex the babies and separate them.

I hope Fluffy feels better soon!

FailedFoster
03-16-18, 08:01 am
That does sound like there might have been some injury. It could either be the leg itself, or something might be injured from the birthing process. I would get her to a cavy-savvy exotics vet to get that checked out.

Also, she may very well be pregnant again. Female pigs go into a really strong heat after giving birth, so make sure you keep an eye on her. Both she and babies will need extra calcium in their diet.

Good luck! Please let us know if you have any other questions about her or raising pig babies.

Prasiddha
03-16-18, 09:53 am
Thank you. I find her eat and drink normal. She even places the leg on ground while sitting. But at times lifts or hops while walking around in her cage. I am praying she isn't pregnant again. She is already looking tired nursing her babies 24 hrs. I showed her to my nearby vet. He wasn't that much of help I felt . He said she needs rest and gave metacam 0.05 ml dosage twice a day.

FailedFoster
03-16-18, 10:30 am
Did he say why she was limping? I'm sorry the vet didn't seem very helpful! We strongly recommend cavy-savvy exotics vets because regular vets don't really know what's up with cavies. Here's a good link on finding a good exotics vet: http://www.guinealynx.info/vet.html

In addition to the questions that are suggested there, I also ask:
-Do you recommend routine neutering/ spaying of pigs? (routine isn't recommended since surgery is riskier for pigs than other species and it doesn't impact behavior. In some instances, though, it may make sense)
-How many cavies do you see per week? (I usually like to hear about a minimum of 5 or so. More is better! It's a nice way to gauge how much experience the vet has)
-Go to their website and see if they have exotic pet certifications. Would usually be listed in the bios of the staff and/ or in the "About" section of the vet clinic.

Whereabouts do you live? I know in some areas, it can be tougher to find a cavy-savvy exotics vet.