Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Halley & Phoebe's Thread

LightSeeker

Cavy Slave
Hi!

Just wanted to introduce myself.
I am a stay at home wife, turn 29 Saturday. We currently have 2 cats, and going to be adding 2 guinea pigs to the family :) (my cats have already been around small animals before and are just fine)

I do plan on building a C&C cage. Have just a couple questions.

Is a 2x4 C&C enough for 2 piggies? I will do bigger if space allows, but I know at a min I can do that (I also plan to try and do a little nook area on top for feed)

Also, I plan to use fleece for bedding. But if I can't get a hold of uhaul pads, what else could be used for absorbing under the fleece?

Also any tips would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance :D

FailedFoster

Cavy Slave
Re: Hello from TX :)

Hello LightSeeker, and welcome!

2x4 may be big enough if you're getting sows. However, two boars need at least 2x5, if not more.

For the nook, most pigs prefer their food on the same level. In my experience, pigs love running around on a single level more than going up and down levels. Just to save you some time and effort. :)

I've heard of people using puppy pads instead of uhaul pads, but uhaul pads are way more absorbent, so I'd stick with those if you're able.

Good luck! It sounds like you're already off to a fantastic start. :) Feel free to ask us any other questions you may have!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

Wood pellets work wonderfully well under fleece. They're the cheapest, most absorbent bedding you can buy. Besides that, they're the absolute best at odor control, and only have to be changed every six months or so.

LightSeeker

Cavy Slave

Thank you!

Alright! I'll keep it one level if it's better, anything I can do to make it better for them I'm game :)

My plan IS to get sows, but you know, sometimes plans change in that area haha.

If I can get the pads I definitely will. It just may be hard to find, don't really have a uhaul near us. I don't really want to order offline if I can avoid it (to impatient to wait lol) As it is, I have to wait a couple months to put back to be able to get everything.

Thanks for the tip on the wood pellets! I'll keep that in mind as well.

LightSeeker

Cavy Slave

Well plans changed haha.

Actually getting my GP tomorrow :)
Found these girls who needed a home. They are about 7 months old.
When I get them home and set up I'll make a separate post for them 20180223_142308.jpg

LightSeeker

Cavy Slave

Ok I will! Thanks! I'll probably request the title change afterwards when I decided on names. Should I send a PM for it or just post here?

Thank you for the links! I'll be sure to check them out.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

Either way, doesn't matter.

LightSeeker

Cavy Slave

Alright, thanks :)

LightSeeker

Cavy Slave

They are home and cage is almost completely put together. Was able to do a 2x5 so the girls have lots of room :)
Still gotta finish last half of lid, but they are in now and settling great!
Just from the little time handling them. Between putting them into the carrier and then to the cage, they handle great! Easy to get and pick up. Both seem to love to snuggle :) Now to figure out names! I am open to any suggestions :D

29250494_1249020348576134_308380030_o.jpg
28945534_1249020661909436_1704951024_o.jpg
29242850_1249021051909397_1038969880_o.jpg
28944562_1249021128576056_1809540199_o.jpg

LightSeeker

Cavy Slave

Thank you! I love their coloring too :)

I have no idea where the chair came from, all their stuff came with them. Only thing I had to buy today was their hay.

I looked it up for you though :)
It's this chair here --> (broken link removed)

The one in it, she absolutely loves that chair. She's constantly in it haha.

LightSeeker

Cavy Slave

in that link it's sold out, just noticed that.

But here is one that isn't sold out yet (broken link removed) :)

LightSeeker

Cavy Slave

Names! The ginger and white girl is named Halley and the ginger and black patch girl is Phoebe :)
both names I got from looking up planets/moons and comet names.
[MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION] could you please rename the thread to Halley & Phoebe

Thank you!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Congratulations on your new furever girls, and welcome to the forum family!

They are very cute, the one in the chair looks like the queen on her throne!

LightSeeker

Cavy Slave
Thank you!

Haha! Yes! Phoebe loves the chair! It seems to be her favorite spot to chill :D

LightSeeker

Cavy Slave
So we broke down the girls cage and move it to our room. We did this because I couldn't really access them to give pets and interact and such very well with the lid we had made. We had the lid in the first place cause of our 2 cats.
I wasn't totally sure I'd be able to make their 2x5 cage in the room, but we made it work so they still habe their space :) i will take a new picture of it in the morning.

Also, is the 2x5 big enough for 3 piggies?
Halley and Phoebe are pretty nervous girls. They wont even take yummy fresh veggies/fruits from us or even eat them in the cage. Anytime any of us walk by or make sudden moves. It freaks them out and they run and go hide (even in the middle of esting or using the litter box. They stop and go hide)
I was thinking maybe adding a 3rd piggy that was more confident could possibly help them become more confident as well.
Could adding a 3rd work? I just want my girls to be more confidnet/comfortable and not be so afraid.

LightSeeker

Cavy Slave
Ooo also found out Phoebe loves her chin scratched :D
And they ate their first veggies/fruits today too. A little cilantro, strawberries and cherry tomatoes. They also had dried sweet potato sticks :p

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
A 2x6 would really be better for three pigs.

Don't go overboard on the fruit -- guinea pigs weren't designed to process sugar. And dried sweet things, such as sweet potato, are really concentrated in sugar.

The cats may not be as much of a problem as you think. Kittens usually try to play with guinea pigs, and guinea pig pups can trigger any cat's prey drive. But adult cats and adult pigs can coexist pretty peaceably. Our cat hops in the cage occasionally for a nap, but doesn't bother the pigs at all. But if you do decide to let them visit, do watch them very carefully over a period of weeks to make sure your cats are ok with the arrangement.

LightSeeker

Cavy Slave
I only gave them a strawberry each, they were small ones too. I know to only give them it rarely.
I didnt know about the dried sweet potato. Ill be sure to give it to them every once in awhile.

One of our cats isnt all that interested. He is curious but doesnt really care (he is probably about 10 yrs ) my younger cat(she will be 4 in a couple months) wont hurt them either (shes played eith rats and rabbits without issue) she has even been in the piggies cage. She just gets so interested and tries to be so close to see them it makes them run and hide which makes her go and get close again. If it wasnt for that id leave it.

I really dont have any room rather it be in our room or back out where it was before to make a 2x6. Would if work if maybe i add a second level? Like maybe a 1x2 on each end and a 1x1 path way across the back?

Last edited:

LightSeeker

Cavy Slave
Their updated cage after moving it. (don't mind the messes lol wasn't able to vacuum it up, very bad back this morning. Hubby will get it when he gets off work tonight)

29513480_1252109441600558_72110499_o.jpg

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.