Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

First-Time Piggie Owner -- My Little Rescue Girls

Levon

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone! I lurked this forum quite a bit over the last few weeks doing research after I decided I wanted to start keeping Guinea Pigs, so you guys have already passed on a ton of helpful info! On Saturday, I adopted these two girls from a local rescue. They were surrendered by a family that had too many pigs to care for all at once. From the shelter's description of their parents, they are Abyssinian / Peruvian mixes. I haven't decided on names yet, as I'm waiting to see a little of their personalities creep out, but I figured now that I've taken the dive, I should say hello and introduce my girls :)

IMG_2966.jpgIMG_2962.jpg

They spent the first day hiding in the same tunnel for almost a full day, which I eventually coaxed them out of so I could clean the tons of poo out. Yesterday they ventured out a little more, ate pellets while I was still in the room, and event let me get one or two gentle pets in. They're still skittish and spend most of their time together in their little hay hut, but they're getting there slowly but surely! I was worried about them not getting enough food / water with all their hiding, but it seems like they'll get brave when they need to eat.

So here's a quick hello, and hopefully once they get a little more socialized I can get some more and better pictures of the two cuties! They went from a pretty tiny rescue cage to a 2x4 grid setup, so I can't wait to see them stretch their little legs out! It's a bit of a barebones setup right now, since my fleece order took longer than I thought it would to ship, so they're hanging out on hay and Carefresh until the liners come. But I'm excited to get them settled!

FailedFoster

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! Those are very cute piggies!

Levon

Cavy Slave
Thanks! They're super cute, I'm excited for them to start feeling more at home and interacting more. But for now, I feed veggies, wait, and watch!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum family!

They're absolutely adorable. Time is the best thing, for you and for them. Time to let them settle in, time to let them get used to you, and time spent with them.

Do read through the links that [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION] gave you, there is a lot of useful information in them!

Levon

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum family!

They're absolutely adorable. Time is the best thing, for you and for them. Time to let them settle in, time to let them get used to you, and time spent with them.

Do read through the links that @bpatters gave you, there is a lot of useful information in them!

I’ve been taking my time, avoiding handling them for a few days and spending time sitting by the cage and talking softly. They’re still apprehensive around me but they’re now regularly coming out to eat while I’m in the room, which is progress!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.