Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Interested in information and stories about URI?s

Jaclyn8899

Cavy Gazer
Hello, I have a Piggy that I think is coming down with what I think could be a URI. I?ve never expirenced a sick pig in my time that I?ve had them. I can hear her breathe and she is pretty lethargic. She has no crusty eyes or nose. I noticed she wasn?t herself Saturday. If it is a URI, I hope I caught it in time. If it is to be a URI.. where in the world did it come from. Now new animals or other people?s animals in my house. I?ve had 2 for a year and I?ve had the other 2 since October who are also a year old (I got them from my nephew). My husband and I have not been sick. I do have a 12 year old bunny that is not sick. Even though I know they can carry that bacteria, they aren?t housed together let alone have ever touched noses or anything like that. Their food is totally kept separated in bins with lids, their cage is a huge C&C so it gets air ciculation.. not to mention I?m very good about hand washing. It?s just so odd to me to all of a sudden have this. My sweet girl is going to the vet today at 3:20 and I know I will have some questions answered. I just wanted to ask for advice for my own peace of mind to get through the next few hours until she goes. I just can?t bare thinking I did something wrong and I also have 3 other girls. Thank you in advance for any help or good stories. Also if it happens not to be a URI than thank god.. but that means that it?s something else.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Get her to an exotic vet. Guinea pigs can go downhill in a big hurry.

Unless you're sealed in a room with filtered, decontaminated air being piped in, whatever organism caused it could have come in from anywhere. Or she could have been exposed a long time ago and for some reason just now came down with it. You've done nothing wrong, except maybe worry too much. :)

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
How did the visit with the vet go?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.